Can anyone explain BMI Calculations?

Every BMI calculation I find tells me I'm obese. However, at 5' 8" 208 lbs and a 35" waist with around 17% body fat, I find it hard to believe that I would be considered obese. What is the equation behind these numbers? I know that I have weight to lose, but I don't think I'm obese.

Replies

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    It's too simple, it's just a height/weight ratio. That's it. So people with a lot of muscle, athletes are categorized as "obese." I have heard it said that we don't necessarily have an obesity epidemic, we just changed the definition of obesity with this BMI stuff.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    The BMI is a simple ratio between height and weight, thus it has its limits in particular for those who have a lot of muscle. I am guessing pretty much every athlete would fall into an overweight or obese category because they carry so much muscle.
  • I was actually just looking at a calculator online that used your hip to waist circumference and also another one for body fat based on measurements and weight. http://www.bmi-calculator.net Try that out and see if it correct.
  • A calculation you can run ist
    100-current body fat = A
    then current wt. x A= Lean Body Fat
    LBF/by what your Body fat should be by subtracting from 100

ok like this
    example of a persk on who is 166lbs with body fat of 35% which should be 27% ok so calculate like this
    100-35%=.65
    166x.65=107.9 lean body fat
    then take 100-what your body fat should be
    100-27%=is 73 now take lean body fat 107.9 divide by .73=147 which should be my ideal weight.
    let me know if you need help
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    It really doesn't work for muscular men.
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    BMI was developed as a tool to study obesity in populations of people, not individuals. As stated above it can be notoriously inaccurate for any given individual. But it's simple to calculate so it gets used as guide everywhere. As an individual it's better to focus on your body fat % and lean body mass, but those aren't as easy to calculate.
  • If you're muscular then the BMI isn't for you. I don't have an idea if online body fat calculators are accurate enough to be relied upon. I posted it here on this forum before but got no answers.
  • After you calculate your BMI, if it's over 25 you are "over weight" and if it's over 30 you are "obese".

However, as far as I can find out, those numbers were chosen in a fairly arbitrary fashion. Probably because they are nice round numbers.

I understand how you feel. I had a hard time accepting that I was obese (according to the BMI). In the end, it doesn't really matter if you are planning on losing weight any way.

Good luck! :smile: