To run or rest

Options
I was supposed to go for a run today but this week my throat has been sore.

I have a slight fever and body is feeling slightly achy.

I may have a cold coming on and I was thinking of taking a day off today

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    fever and achy says rest to me.. if it was just the sore throat I would say run
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Rest. If it's anything like how I feel before I get the full-blown illness, your run is likely to be a miserable slog that you won't enjoy.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    My general rule of thumb is that I'll run with a sore throat, but fever means it's a rest day.

• AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options
    I decided to rest up.

This week was not the best as the throat started to act up and also because my work schedule has been crazy this week.
  • Mcwi3681
    Mcwi3681 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I've heard if it's above the neck (stuffy nose, headache), go run, but if it's below (achy limbs) stay in. I'd also add that fever is a definite rest day.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Mcwi3681 wrote: »
    I've heard if it's above the neck (stuffy nose, headache), go run, but if it's below (achy limbs) stay in. I'd also add that fever is a definite rest day.

That's a common generalization, and one that should be taken with a grain of salt, as all generalizations should be. Slightly stuffy nose? Sure, enjoy your run. Congestion so bad that you can't breathe through your nose? Try a run, if you want to, but you might have a bad time. Migraine? If they're like mine, running could be dangerous. Ultimately it's not a terrible guide, but I wouldn't trust it completely.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I run regardless....I've raced with diagnosed flu. The only two things that stop my run are the runs or migraines.