Throat feels heavy and breath feels little shorter

Options
Hi folks,

Since I have started high protein diet(no supplements, not more then 110g in a day not sure it may be causing) I am observing that after my meals I feel my throat little heavy and shortness in breath from quite few days, have any experienced same I'm really not sure if it is a thing to get worried, what do you folks advice on it ?

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    JagaSrik wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Since I have started high protein diet(no supplements, not more then 110g in a day not sure it may be causing) I am observing that after my meals I feel my throat little heavy and shortness in breath from quite few days, have any experienced same I'm really not sure if it is a thing to get worried, what do you folks advice on it ?

Might be connected to your protein intake (could be you have an intolerance/acid reflux) or it could be something completely unrelated which just happened to coincide with your increase in protein. If you are really concerned about it, see/speak to a medical professional. 110 grams per day isn't particularly excessive.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    See a doctor. It could be serious, or it could be nothing, but we have no way to tell you which it is.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of protein intake causing shortness of breath?

Well, certain foods can cause acid reflux, which can cause shortness of breath and throat irritation.. especially with morning exercise, since the stomach acid can creep into the lungs & throat while laying down.

OP - if you can't see a doctor soon, try going back to your original diet. Post an update. :+1:
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    Make an appt with Dr now. I've never heard of protein intake causing shortness of breath?

I get acid reflux with dairy, which is essentially where I get a good portion of my protein from and sometimes it does cause a phleghmy throat and a sort of shortness of breath.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    Make an appt with Dr now. I've never heard of protein intake causing shortness of breath?

I get acid reflux with dairy, which is essentially where I get a good portion of my protein from and sometimes it does cause a phleghmy throat and a sort of shortness of breath.

I used to get severe acid reflux but it was because I was obese. I just don't see how 110 g of protein can cause shortness of breath? but, I'm no expert or Dr....so that is why he should see one.
  • tinkerbellang83
    edited December 2019
    Options

I used to get severe acid reflux but it was because I was obese. I just don't see how 110 g of protein can cause shortness of breath? but, I'm no expert or Dr....so that is why he should see one.

If OP has started incorporating food that he doesn't normally eat to reach a higher intake of protein, that in itself could cause acid reflux or an allergic reaction. My own experience with acid reflux never changed with my weight, had it when I was normal weight and overweight, I've also experienced it with one or two other foods besides dairy products. I don't cut them out I just try to minimise them and when it occurs it does feel like it's almost difficult to breathe.

I don't disagree with him seeing the doctor, just answering your own post.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options

If OP has started incorporating food that he doesn't normally eat to reach a higher intake of protein, that in itself could cause acid reflux or an allergic reaction. My own experience with acid reflux never changed with my weight, had it when I was normal weight and overweight, I've also experienced it with one or two other foods besides dairy products. I don't cut them out I just try to minimise them and when it occurs it does feel like it's almost difficult to breathe.

I don't disagree with him seeing the doctor, just answering your own post.

fair enough :) PS...I don't miss acid reflux one bit. it was brutal!
  • cianag
    cianag Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have some mild arteriosclerosis and found that eating too much of the wrong protein has a negative effect on me. Most recently it was a juicy cornish game hen. :( So, check with the doctor.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    And if the only allergic reaction is shortness of breath, that can turn into a life or death situation pretty quickly upon subsequent exposures.

Indeed. That is why it's important for people in discussion fora not to play amateur-sleuth in response to posters experiencing Emergency Room-level medical symptoms. Shortness of breath is at the top of that list.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    @JagaSrik, are you okay? Please let us know. :)
  • wmweeza
    wmweeza Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I had trouble breathing because of stomach acid, just a suggestion
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »
    aokoye wrote: »
    And if the only allergic reaction is shortness of breath, that can turn into a life or death situation pretty quickly upon subsequent exposures.

Indeed. That is why it's important for people in discussion fora not to play amateur-sleuth in response to posters experiencing Emergency Room-level medical symptoms. Shortness of breath is at the top of that list.

Every single post suggests seeking medical advice?! Sure there was an offshoot of the discussion about acid reflux in general but we had already advised OP to seek medical attention for their symptoms.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    That would be bronchitis -- or worse, pneumonia. Get to a doctor fast!
  • JagaSrik
    JagaSrik Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for your advice and suggestions my notifications are really delayed unless I come back n check here, I haven't seen doctor yet, reading comments I think I might have a acid reflux not carido related problem because I have undergone full body test 2 years ago my hearth health was Normal took tread mill test then..