Distance vs Sprints

I have been running three miles 3-4 times a week for some time now and I am thinking of changing things up. Read an article saying its better to run less distances but add in sprints. So for the last week instead of running my three miles I have started tracking it by time. I jog for 2 mins and then sprint for 30 sec. and keep doing that for 20 mins. Only a week in so too early to tell but has anyone else tried this? Would you suggest keeping with the slow and steady or give sprints a chance?

Replies

• 388gigi
    388gigi Posts: 485 Member
    Bump! :-)
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    bump....would like to know myself since I ran 4 miles today
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    I have been running three miles 3-4 times a week for some time now and I am thinking of changing things up. Read an article saying its better to run less distances but add in sprints. So for the last week instead of running my three miles I have started tracking it by time. I jog for 2 mins and then sprint for 30 sec. and keep doing that for 20 mins. Only a week in so too early to tell but has anyone else tried this? Would you suggest keeping with the slow and steady or give sprints a chance?

It's really jsut two different types of running. Sprints are good to change things up and you can actually really gain some leg strength by doing them and work on getting leaner that way. Put it this way, look at pictures of olympic sprinters and look at pictures and long-distance runners and guess who's physique you'd rather have.
  • You don't have to stick to just one type of run. I mix it up by doing hill days, sprint days, short run days, and long run days. My goal is to build speed for my next half marathon. What did the article say the sprints were better for...burning calories, building speed...?
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    The answer is do both of course!

You can also try some fartleks. These are totally unstructured changes in pace - run easy to the stop sign, full blast to the big tree, medium pace to the parked car on the corner (you get the idea). Just make an effort to mix it up, but without worrying about pace or distance.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    ^^^DITTO!!!

Distance builds endurance.
    Sprints build faster leg turnover and higher lactate threshold.
    Hills build power (and similar effects to Sprints).

Mix it up to be a well-rounded runner.
  • I do both - but really enjoy fartleks(it's how I've always ran before I knew the term for it). I do fartleks most of my runs, but also do a long run once a week and a nice easy relaxing run a couple of days after. Once every 2-3 weeks, I do a run with a focus on beating my previous time/pace to see how much I've improved.
  • Fartleks are really fun barefoot on private golf courses. Their fairways are much smoother and you run faster being chased by security!