Caffeine significantly affecting my mood

Options
I've just started adding caffeine to my diet after not having any for around 4 years. On an evening I've started having Diet Dr pepper which contains caffeine apparently. I overthink a lot, sometimes pretty negative thoughts, but after drinking it my thoughts are so much more positive and I become really motivated to do things which normally I would put off.

I knew caffeine gave people energy but I never would have thought that it would change my overall mood this much. It's literally like I'm taking a happy pill.

Anyone able to explain what it is that the caffeine is doing to my brain to cause this?

Replies

• jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    No idea. I’m a caffein addict and I can’t remember life without it...
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I reduced my caffeine intake because it was giving me heart palpitations. I was drinking a lot. But everyone is different and will have different reactions to it. Whatever lifts your mood provided it is not unhealthy for you is good.

Sunshine is my mood elevator, sadly I live in the UK and therefore it is not readily available, unlike coffee.

Enjoy your Dr Pepper :)
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Caffeine affects several chemical pathways in the brain that cause feelings of pleasure. Exactly what it’s doing is still under investigation :). Here is an article that’s fairly lengthy, but attempts to explain one study in less technical terms: https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/scicurious-brain/feeling-stimulated-by-your-coffee-look-to-the-basal-ganglia-of-your-brain/
  • DannehBoyy
    DannehBoyy Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I reduced my caffeine intake because it was giving me heart palpitations. I was drinking a lot. But everyone is different and will have different reactions to it. Whatever lifts your mood provided it is not unhealthy for you is good.

Sunshine is my mood elevator, sadly I live in the UK and therefore it is not readily available, unlike coffee.

Enjoy your Dr Pepper :)

Yeah that was the reason I stopped taking it before too.

Lol same here. I've heard that those light boxes are good for that.
  • DannehBoyy
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    Caffeine affects several chemical pathways in the brain that cause feelings of pleasure. Exactly what it’s doing is still under investigation :). Here is an article that’s fairly lengthy, but attempts to explain one study in less technical terms: https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/scicurious-brain/feeling-stimulated-by-your-coffee-look-to-the-basal-ganglia-of-your-brain/

That was a good read, thanks!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    For running distance races like I do caffeine can really give you a boost. But, it only works if you haven't had any for a couple weeks ahead of the race. I have no idea why that is, but I found it to be very true for me. I can take gels with caffeine when my diet is normal (soda and tea several times a week) and I don't get much of a boost. But if I stop caffeine for a few weeks and then take a gel or two I feel like I've been shot out of a canon.

What I'm trying to say is the effect may be short lived. But enjoy it while it lasts. :D
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    For running distance races like I do caffeine can really give you a boost. But, it only works if you haven't had any for a couple weeks ahead of the race. I have no idea why that is, but I found it to be very true for me. I can take gels with caffeine when my diet is normal (soda and tea several times a week) and I don't get much of a boost. But if I stop caffeine for a few weeks and then take a gel or two I feel like I've been shot out of a canon.

What I'm trying to say is the effect may be short lived. But enjoy it while it lasts. :D

Ditto. I've read about elite trail runners who stop caffeine intake a month before big races to reap that effect.

I've been trying to reduce coffee because the Chinese New Year is coming up and I'll be going without it for a week. I get awful headaches and lethargy when going cold turkey - the opposite to what the OP is experiencing, I suppose.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I get this mood boost too BUT if I overdo it I get irritable so I think it's best to find that perfect balance ☕
  • jwoolman5
    jwoolman5 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    DannehBoyy wrote: »
    I've started having Diet Dr pepper which contains caffeine apparently. I overthink a lot, sometimes pretty negative thoughts, but after drinking it my thoughts are so much more positive and I become really motivated to do things which normally I would put off.

Sounds like the stimulant caffeine gives you the energy boost you need. Diet and regular Dr Pepper only have 41 mg caffeine in a 12 ounce can, but you might be particularly sensitive since you avoided caffeine for a long time. You may become less sensitive with exposure, that happened to me.

For me, B vitamin complex supplements have that kind of an effect. Not particularly affecting my mood in an obvious manner, but definitely I start getting to projects I haven't felt like I had the energy to do. The effect is pretty fast, also, so it's not one that takes a month or two to notice. Maybe this is because the B vitamins are water-soluble and don't build up in tissue. Excess amounts just get flushed out.

My threshold used to be at least a 20-gram B-complex per day (they label themselves according to the amount of one of the vitamins), I seem to need more now since I'm a lot older than when I first noticed the effect. So I try for two doses a day at that level with a particularly effective supplement like Shaklee tablets, which tend to be better absorbed in general and the company is intelligent about formulating tablets (I'm a chemist), as is especially needed for multicomponent tablets. I can tell the difference when I only get one dose in a particular day.

I used to use a 50-mg complex from an acceptable but not as research-oriented company for the same effect as I get from two Shaklee tablets (10 mg each). B vitamins are tricky to formulate in a dosage form because they all absorb at different places, so better absorption means you need less. The high level of most of the B vitamins in a B complex supplement is to make sure enough gets absorbed because a lot will be wasted. But it may not really matter so much because the high dose capsules are typically cheap enough. I would advise getting a cheaper but good brand of 50-mg capsules for a test.

I always thought the effect on me was because I have a lot of allergies and the B vitamins in my food might get used up fast.

Other reproducible effects of the B vitamins for me: I sleep much better (longer, sometimes don't even wake up in the middle) and remember my dreams. This was obvious the very first night I started taking them - my sleep has been patchy since childhood, so sleeping through the night was new to me. Also I type faster and more accurately as long as I keep taking them. This is another immediate effect, certainly within 24 hours. I know one of the B vitamins is beneficial for short-term memory, which may be related. If I stop the B complex supplements, my typing speed and accuracy go down quite noticeably. I hate taking pills, so I have unfortunately had many opportunities to test with and without the supplement....
  • QuinntessentiallyMe
    QuinntessentiallyMe Posts: 88 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Caffeine is a stimulant, and different people react differently to it. Some are sensitive to it, some aren't. Some people build up tolerances, some don't. I have a mental health diagnosis of Generalized Anxiety Disorder, plus had been an insomniac most of my life. Out of curiosity this year, I stopped caffeine after noon. WHOA.... major change. My baseline anxiety levels dropped dramatically. I still get attacks, but I run on a lower level of anxiety overall. My sleep became SOOOOOO much better. For the first time since I was a small child, I easily get up around dawn, and go to bed around 10pm. No lying awake till all hours of the night with racing thoughts, no being hyped up till 5am and then crashing. It's been amazing. I am fully rested and have amazing energy..... better energy than what caffeine gave me. We're all different, and we all need to educate ourselves on the potential pros and cons of each thing we put into our bodies; plus use trial and error to see what works for us and what hurts us. If it hurts more than helps, get rid of it and look into alternatives!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    This is worth a read - especially the part about developing tolerance if you intend using it for particular events or training. https://examine.com/supplements/caffeine/

Personally I'm a very low responder to caffeine (and nicotine and creatine and morphine and entenox....) and to get a boost / reduce feelings of fatigue on endurance cycle rides I need to come off caffeine completely in the run up to an event and then take a mega dose tactically (just before an evil 19% hill climb 110 miles into a 130 mile event for example).

My response is so low I fell asleep riding a motorbike home after a night shift despite 3 double expressos.
  • jwoolman5
    jwoolman5 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    My response [to caffeine] is so low I fell asleep riding a motorbike home after a night shift despite 3 double expressos.

Oh, dear - at least you survived!

Since I hit my fifties, I can fall asleep while typing or proofreading. So I set up to stand while typing and proofreading. Still start falling asleep standing up when I'm really tired.

I used to bounce on the ceiling from one dose of Excedrin (130 mg caffeine per 2-tablet dose) or even just one little can of V8 energy drink (80 mg), and would have to forget about sleeping for 24 hours if I had to take a second dose of Excedrin. Now that I regularly get 60-75 mg caffeine per day, I can take the same amounts of caffeine and still fall asleep an hour later with no trouble.

• DannehBoyy
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, really helped me out
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Another possibility- You might want to consider checking out ADHD as a possibility. Lot of people with it don’t get diagnosed until adulthood- seems it is easy to miss less severe cases of it (we have a family member being tested for it who is 47, for example).

Overthinking, lots of negative thoughts, and challenges with motivation are all things that are often found with ADHD.

There are a few ‘flavors’ of it, so Not everyone has the same behaviors and mental and emotional responses, but the medication for it is basically a hardcore stimulant.

So for a lot of ADHD folks, caffeine is awesome and helps them feels better, and accomplish more. It is basically like an over the counter, mild, medication , as far as ADHD is concerned. :-)

This is a quickie, could I maybe have this, online test, if you are interested. :-)

https://www.additudemag.com/adhd-symptoms-test-adults/
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I've noticed it sometimes too. Like, I'll be out and kind of tired and grumpy, stop for an iced coffee or diet choc coke(Sonic😉) and feel so much better and happier. More recently, I was feeling really down and started taking niacin when I get up because it is supposed to help with depression (among other things). It seems to be working, so I keep taking it.