NEW TO A VEGAN DIET

Options
So I’ve decided to eat vegan for the last 6 weeks. Any other vegans out there that can recommend some recipes for healthy dishes and delicious treats? Still experimenting with it and finding things to try.

Replies

• RCPV
    RCPV Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Banana Walnut Ice Cream:
    2 ripe bananas, frozen
    1/3 cup vanilla nondairy milk
    ½ tsp vanilla extract
    2 tbsp chopped walnuts, plus more for topping

Put all in a high speed blender or food processor and blend until smooth. If too soupy, scoop into a bowl and freeze until of the desired consistency.
    Top with extra chopped walnuts to serve.

Yum!! Really helps when I'm craving ice cream that I can't have.
  • ThatJuJitsuWoman
    ThatJuJitsuWoman Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I’ve added you, my diary is open to friends. 😊
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Have a look at the Veganuary website.
    They encourage people to try being vegan for a month to see how they get on, so there are a lot of good tips, recipes etc.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Check out vegan chefs on YouTube. Some of my favs are Sweet Potato Soul, Rachel Ama and Avant Garde Vegan.
  • s_rivera_92
    s_rivera_92 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    My favorite cookbook of all time is "Color Me Vegan" (even though I dont eat strictly vegan). It's got some amazing recipes in there that everyone can enjoy. My favorite is a recipe for Chinese Hot and Sour Soup.
  • smithem79
    smithem79 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I’m new to Vegan. Just started yesterday. Open to new friends, just new to this app and not sure how to friend and share things
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Check out vegan chefs on YouTube. Some of my favs are Sweet Potato Soul, Rachel Ama and Avant Garde Vegan.

I don't know those (will check out), but like Cheap Lazy Vegan and Pick Up Limes.

For OP, a site (not strictly vegan, but with lots of vegan dishes and aimed around specific ingredients) is 101cookbooks. Also go to your library or bookstore and look at vegan cookbooks, there are lots. Veganyumyum the site is no longer updated, but has some good recipes (so does ohsheglows, recommended above).

Explore the site NoMeatAthlete, it has some decent advice.

My advice would be to come up with a basic breakfast (oats with berries and nuts and some soy milk, for example, or a smoothie, but lots of options), and to think about other meals as some kind of combo of beans/lentils + grains (there are a huge variety of grains) + vegetables. That allows for endless options. (If you use tofu or tempeh, which I like, or meat substitutes, those would usually fall in the beans category.)

Look at recipes from various other cultures where meatless/plant-based recipes are often part of the traditional cuisine if you get bored.

Explore spices.

I don't eat vegan, but I've done a few periods of 6 weeks 100% plant based and found it an interesting experiment, and I definitely like including 100% plant based recipes in my eating now.
  • tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Check out BOSH, they're incredible, Forks Over Knives also has some neat recipes.
  • Lauralovesmfp
    Lauralovesmfp Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Pinterest was my best friend when I went Vegan 5 years ago. There's tons of recipes on there!
  • kperk91
    kperk91 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I second Forks Over Knives and Pinterest - there's a lot of good stuff there :)
    Also, The China Study Cookbook. It's by the daughter of T. Colin Campbell (who you might recognize from the Forks Over Knives movie)
  • fuzzylop_
    fuzzylop_ Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Here's a few sites to get some ideas from.

soscuisine.com - has quite a few vegan choices

youtubers:
    hotforfood - vegan youtuber, really tasty, but not always easy to fit in on a deficit
    cheaplazyvegan - simple meal ideas

Quite a few of the vegan fitness 'influencers' have high protein cookbooks these days (Brian Turner, Amy Kate, Jon Venus, Simnett Nutrition) if that's what you're looking for.