IBS- low FODMAP diet?

I have been dealing with IBS for years and was wondering if anyone has tried the low a FODMAP diet!?

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    I have been dealing with IBS for years but haven't tried the diet. To be honest I just eat what I like and deal with the consequences. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not.
  • sarah8352
    sarah8352 Posts: 14 Member
    I have done some research saying 75% of ibs sufferers find relief from symptoms with this diet.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    sarah8352 wrote: »
    I have been dealing with IBS for years and was wondering if anyone has tried the low a FODMAP diet!?

I have tried it and I did not notice an improvement in my IBS symptoms, but.. to be fair, I have IBS-A (alternating between the two), so while it might have helped certain symptoms (diarrhea and abdominal cramps) , it made others worse (constipation, gas, bloating) or did nothing to improve them.

So far, walking, water consumption, and avoiding high trigger foods (for me that's extremely greasy foods) to be helpful. I think it just depends on the person, unfortunately.
  • squirley13
    squirley13 Posts: 112 Member
    sarah8352 wrote: »

I had IBS and SIBO and followed the low FODMAP diet that was too difficult for me so after 6 months I switched to Keto (btw 90% carnivore). I found Keto so much easier to do and not only did it cure me after 4 months but I finally started to lose the weight I had only been gaining through the years. I have lost 91.5 pounds since January 5th this year and feel great FINALLY! .
  • I don’t have IBS but I tried it for my endometriosis pain and it’s drastically helped.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,589 Member
    A friend of mine with IBS got his triggers pinpointed with a series of breath tests. Now that he stopped eating onions and garlic, his symptoms have disappeared.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    One of my workout partners eats low FODMAP to help with her IBS, and while it does appear to help, she's also noted that her IBS is triggered by stress and too little sleep.
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Might as well try it for the 3-6 weeks they recommend if you've been dealing with IBS for years. Monash University created the diet and they have a useful app (for $9) that is regularly updated.
    I've also read good things about the product IBgard to control flare-ups.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    I’m working on identifying my triggers. I don’t do the full FODMAP diet because not all FODMAPs trigger me. I eat mostly gluten free, not because gluten would be a trigger, but because grains containing gluten have fodmap carbs that are a trigger for me. So, I avoid wheat, barley and rye but try to have lots of oats because oat does good things for my stomach. Chickpeas are a big trigger for me so I avoid them completely, and I most recently identitied beetroot as a trigger so that’s on my no-go list now. I don’t need to avoid onions and garlic completely, but if there are large chunks or pieces I pick those out to avoid unnecessary stress on my tummy.

As you can see from my story and the other commenters, it really is all about trying and testing to identify your triggers.