Protein powder, or not?

Options
2»

Replies

• gemiller87
    gemiller87 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    tohyidrive wrote: »
    Thank you for sharing. Yes I try taking The Bar Counter protein bars too...
    I've upped my calories goal, will monitor for 5-6 weeks.
    @gemiller87 What protein powder would you recommend?

I've been using ON (Optimum Nutrition) powder. No problems with it. I've tried walmarts body fortress as well and it's not bad but i've been using that mostly in recipes like just_Tomek's low cal protein cheesecake recipe from that section of this forum. For general use the ON I prefer the taste/resulting texture better.
  • tohyidrive
    tohyidrive Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    gemiller87 wrote: »
    tohyidrive wrote: »
    Thank you for sharing. Yes I try taking The Bar Counter protein bars too...
    I've upped my calories goal, will monitor for 5-6 weeks.
    @gemiller87 What protein powder would you recommend?

I've been using ON (Optimum Nutrition) powder. No problems with it. I've tried walmarts body fortress as well and it's not bad but i've been using that mostly in recipes like just_Tomek's low cal protein cheesecake recipe from that section of this forum. For general use the ON I prefer the taste/resulting texture better.

Thank you for the recommendation!
  • tohyidrive
    tohyidrive Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    jwoolman5 wrote: »
    I like to have protein/meal replacement powders on hand in case I get sick and for the recovery period after an illness. I've had situations when I'm sure I would have done a lot better if I could have drunk my meals for a while.

Otherwise, I'm more likely to add some of the powder to nondairy yoghurt and puddings, which tend to be very low protein unless based on soy. This just brings them up to the equivalent dairy products. I might add a little to beverages sometimes, but rarely use anything close to a full serving unless I'm making popsicles or nondairy ice cream out of it.

One protein powder in my stash has chia seeds in it, and makes a pretty good pudding all by itself.... just use less water and let the chia seed thicken it in the refrigerator. Maybe add some cocoa powder. Chia seed can be added to other types of protein powder, of course.

The pudding is a great idea. I use a lot of chia seeds too. Will try this. Thanks!