Is it normal

Options
My starting weight was 75 kgs and now I’m 59 kgs. My ultimate goal is 52 kgs. I lost 10 kgs super fast in about 2-3 months. But the last 6 kgs has been super slow, spread over 4-5 months. Is it normal to be this slow as I’m approaching my goal?

Replies

• RCPV
    RCPV Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Yup, totally normal. Your body has adapted. Best thing to do is to up your activity level a bit, if you can. In any case, congrats, you've done really well!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Yes it's normal. As you get closer to goal you don't have as much wiggle room in your deficit, plus water fluctuations can have more impact. It's good to take it slow close to goal for adherence, better transition to maintenance as well as muscle preservation
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    RCPV wrote: »
    Yup, totally normal. Your body has adapted. Best thing to do is to up your activity level a bit, if you can. In any case, congrats, you've done really well!

Yes, it is normal, but no, this is not the explanation or solution.

OP, you are quite close to your goal weight at this point. Your body cannot safely sustain as large a deficit as you once had, so the last weight to come off should be quite slow. Many people find that they must weigh and log ALL of their food as meticulously as possible to avoid wiping out such a small deficit though logging errors. It is common at this point to not see the scale move down for 4-6 weeks at a time.

If you are following MFP's calorie goal, you should not be attempting to create a larger deficit through increased exercise. Instead, set your goal to the slowest pace of loss, weigh ALL of your food, make sure your exercise calorie estimates are reasonable, and be patient.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,465 Member
    Options
    Yes normal.

And if its not broken, don’t fix it. Look at the big picture. What you’ve set out to do is lose about 25% of your starting weight. No small task.

I’m assuming that when you get to goal weight, you want to stay there. Read this board much and you’ll get an idea of how common regaining a significant amount is. Maybe start thinking about what your life will be like at a lower weight.

Losing is always a 2 part process. Am I losing weight? Am I satisfied with how I’m living? The closer you are to goal the more you should think about how you’re living. If you are in fact losing and satisfied with your current lifestyle, I’d change nothing. A couple of months more or less to get to goal weight will soon be forgotten if you stay at goal weight.
  • Aerohead21
    Aerohead21 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of reasons for stalls.

What does your diet and activity look like? The closer you get to your target weight the harder it is to achieve it.
  • Aerohead21
    Options
    Not to mention, you need to factor height and age into the equation. I personally want to be at the lower end of what my doctors consider healthy weight for me but the doctors want me at the higher end. It’s very frustrating.
  • kbk1335
    kbk1335 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Aerohead21 wrote: »
    Not to mention, you need to factor height and age into the equation. I personally want to be at the lower end of what my doctors consider healthy weight for me but the doctors want me at the higher end. It’s very frustrating.

@Aerohead21 is it fine if I ask why they want you at the higher end? I guess I can somewhat relate. Though BMI should not be an indicator of health, I personally would prefer to stick to the lower end of the healthy range. But know that I don’t rely on bmi at all!
  • Aerohead21
    Options
    I honestly have no idea why. I guess they consider that a healthier range for my build and age.