Extra Skin, Loose Skin Do I have it?? answer inside

Options
Here is a blog post from March that I wrote in answer to this NEVER ENDING question:

Saturday, March 26, 2011
Lots of questions lately about "excess skin"
So , instead of trying to answer every one's email, or question on MFP , or even posts that have been left for me herem cause I simply can not answer everyone individually, this will have to suffice.

People have been asking me , what about the excess skin, or loose skin, whichever, after having lost as much weight as I have, Have I had surgery to take care of it? Cause clearly people do not seem to think I have an issue with the excess skin. Well, OK, thank you for that, You saying that to me means I have done what I have intended to do, and that is HIDE IT WELL . YES , sadly, there is excess skin , And as open as I have been in this journey, no , I will not be sharing my pictures of all my skin for you to see, I am keeping that one to myself. You will just have to take my word for it. But Maybe its not AS BAD as some of you think. I am not sure what you expect, I get " Your tummy is so flat, Do you not have excess skin" ? Umm, yeah, But my tummy is 'flat' cause I am relatively small, I don't weigh that much,( compared to where I was) and I don't have much body fat, so the excess skin that is there, just kind of is there. It doesn't hang down to my knees ( haha, are you wondering that one?) but its not flat and pretty either. You name the body part, there is excess skin. Pure and simple.
BUT , I must say, for all of you wondering if it will happen to you too , and you are wondering if you should even, lose weight cause you don't wont the excess skin ( yes, people have actually said, I don't want to lose weight cause I don't want loose skin. REALLY? you would really want to be overweight cause you fear the excess skin? ) , there are many factors you need to consider. How long have you been overweight? how is your skin now? sun damaged? do you take care of it? How fast are you losing weight? are you getting tons of water in? are you doing strength training? BUT the key factor here , I think, is GENETICS !!
So what goes for me, may not go for you. I had held that extra weight for over 20 years, my skin had been stretched out for a very long time. it may never bounce back ,and I am aware of that. I am not freaking out over it, I don't love it, I , in fact, HATE it. But I don't have money to have it taken care of surgically, so I don't have many choices, But to deal with it. and part of my dealing with it , is being sure you don't have to see it.

Hope that answers some questions regarding the issue :)

Replies

• LeanerBeef
    LeanerBeef Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Great message! Seriously, putting what's important in perspective.
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Great post! I even have extra skin on my arms and thighs and I didn't lose anything close to what you did. It happens, but losing weight is still the best thing I have ever done for myself. You are an inspiration
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Awesome post!!! Thanks for sharing this...
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    You name the body part, there is excess skin.

I sure don't see any on those awesome arms! Congrats!
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    You name the body part, there is excess skin.

I sure don't see any on those awesome arms! Congrats!

Awww, thank you ! :)
  • deborahmorris
    deborahmorris Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing...I was wondering the same thing when I reach my goal!!!:wink: .

You look great!
  • k2d4p
    k2d4p Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I think it is awesome that you put this out there. I get asked about loose skin a lot as well. I have been extremely lucky. I do not have any loose skin. I just wanted to add that, so people can see it is possible to lose over 100lbs and not have the extra skin.

(But, seriously, who in there right mind would CHOOSE to be overweight just to avoid loose skin? Mystery to me.)
  • Tamishumate
    Options
    I think it is awesome that you put this out there. I get asked about loose skin a lot as well. I have been extremely lucky. I do not have any loose skin. I just wanted to add that, so people can see it is possible to lose over 100lbs and not have the extra skin.

(But, seriously, who in there right mind would CHOOSE to be overweight just to avoid loose skin? Mystery to me.)

That is where genetics comes in.. we are all different. :drinker:
  • SeattleGrl
    SeattleGrl Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing Tami, you're very right about genetics!
  • mojox2003
    mojox2003 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing that, I know when I loose the weight that im going to have LOTS of extra skin, but Im at the thinking I would rather have that and be healthy and add years to my life than not and die early
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    I don't care about the excess skin, I just want to be at a healthy weight!! :)

Thanks for the post!
  • mommyoftwins05
    mommyoftwins05 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post... yeah I have a fear of excess skin too.. and yes I was afraid to lose weight. But I'm not now. I can't afford surgery and I figure fully clothed you won't be able to tell anyways...

I started at 144.6 and I want to get to 115. I started gaining wait with my first pregnancy 10 years ago.. and had twins 6 1/2 yrs ago. I'm hoping I don't have excess skin but its not lookin good..oh well

you look great btw!
  • cedarhurst2006
    cedarhurst2006 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I would rather put up with excess skin then the flipside of not being healthy. I know the turkey neck I developed since losing weight is better - though it's taken almost a year. My upper arms were bad but now getting better. I think it takes time and I also go to the gym almost every day.

There is one word I would like to say that can certainly be of help.....................SHAPEWEAR!!! Love it!
  • k2d4p
    k2d4p Posts: 441 Member
    Options

I wanted to add and I hope you see this since it has been a few days, You story is probably one of the most inspiring I have seen on this site. You have done amazing!!
  • smb0701
    smb0701 Posts: 234
    Options
    thx:) for the info, yelp! i was wondering about that
  • januarywife
    januarywife Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link to your story,Wow! it was very motivating to me,you look awesome!Thanks!!
  • Tamishumate
    Options

I wanted to add and I hope you see this since it has been a few days, You story is probably one of the most inspiring I have seen on this site. You have done amazing!!

thank you, that is very sweet.!! :drinker: cheers to an amazing you!
  • cheekymonkeyface
    cheekymonkeyface Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have to say i have lost about 6 stone in the last 14 months (i did have some help with my gastric bypass but a 1/3 of it was me putting in the effort and counting calories)... Anyway before my surgery my son, aged 23 asked me ''but won't you have excess skin mom''... I had 2 responses for him, the first was 'nobody ever died of excess skin'' the second was 'i've always had excess skin, it's just been stuffed with fat''

I think he got the point.

I have the excess skin too Tam, after the best part of 24 years being overweight and having 3 children and taking into account i'm almost mid forties (yikes) it's inevitable. If i raise my arm above my head i see it in the pit of my arm, also when i cross my legs the skin wrinkles now, the worst part is my inner thighs... Do i want my old body back without the loose skin? No way, health wise i am at the most healthiest and physically fit i've been since leaving school aged 16...

42lb to go and i know it's not gonna get any prettier, but i'm getting ready to embrace it :)

Well done on your losses everyone x
  • risefromruin
    risefromruin Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post.