Gaining?!?

Options
Hi everyone!
I was wondering if this has happened to anyone.
As I am slowly approaching my goal weight only 10 more pounds to go. I recently started running, today was my 4th day in a row; running about 2 miles a day and keeping lightly active throughout the day and being cautious of what I eat throughout the day. Well, I weighed myself the beginning of last week then weighed myself today and I noticed I gained 1.5 pounds. I'm frustrated, I've watched weight loss information videos after weight loss information videos and I thought I was doing good but turns out I'm doing something wrong. I'm hoping it's just water weight or just a flux, but is anyone else experiencing or has experienced this after getting back to the exercising lifestyle?

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Are you weighing, measuring and logging everything you eat and drink accurately and at a calorie deficit? If you are, it’s probably because of the running you started recently. Retaining water perhaps.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    New exercise causes your muscles to retain water to repair themselves. This extra water shows up on the scale.

http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Hello! This is really common. My only surprise is that you haven't noticed it before as you've lost weight. :) If you search the community boards for "weight fluctuations" you'll find endless conversation. A weight fluctuation doesn't mean you're doing something wrong, it's just how the body works.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,468 Member
    Options
    Gains following newly initiated or increased exercise are a common complaint here. Maybe someone who understands the process will explain the details but the short answer is water retention. Newly stressed muscles retain water.

Be careful. One thing I do know about this is the way it can mess with your head. And the way your head can mess up your program. Give it plenty of time. Change nothing for now. If you get to the point where you’re considering an adjustment, do small steps.

A friend says- we eventually get the weigh in we deserve but not necessarily when we expect it.
  • EmIsMotivated
    EmIsMotivated Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys, this helps a lot! I was on keto before so I never gained with exercise just lost now that I've been off keto and just trying to eat a balanced diet along with exercise I've noticed this.
  • Madeater2001
    Madeater2001 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When I got off keto I gained lots of water weight back as well.