How often should I be weighing myself?

I’m trying to lose around 6/7 more kgs, and its very slow because I’m close to my goal now. How often should I weigh in?

Replies

• kellyswimmer
    kellyswimmer Posts: 581 Member
    I still weigh everyday. Works better for me.
  • tony56pr
    tony56pr Posts: 141 Member
    For me weekly worked best. Weight wont change daily other than water weight. Last time I lost about a pound a week. This time around doing 1/2 pound a week, so weight dont change but every 3-4 weeks anyways.
  • Basana0909
    Basana0909 Posts: 31 Member
    Every couple weeks worked for me this way I saw a difference in weight lost every week can be stressful and weighing daily messes with ur emotions imo
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    I've weighed nearly every day for almost 7yrs... Nearly
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I favor daily weighing do you can learn your body’s normal fluctuations. Congrats on being so close!
  • kbk1335
    kbk1335 Posts: 67 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I favor daily weighing do you can learn your body’s normal fluctuations. Congrats on being so close!

Alright, I’ll stick to daily weigh ins. And thank you!
  • MySlimGoals
    MySlimGoals Posts: 750 Member
    It's up to you. Some people do actually do better on weekly/monthly weighing because they stress out over the fluctuations and basically can't handle it. Personally I like to do the daily weigh in first thing in the morning after visiting the toilet. I always wear the same night shirt for it to keep the weight of my clothing consistent as well.

So chose a time of day (morning is usually best because you've just had an overnight fast while asleep) then decide on how often works for you. If you choose daily be prepared for ups and downs but if you are doing MFP right then after a month you should definitely be seeing an overall trend downwards.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    I weigh daily, first thing in the AM... watching the chart is kinda fun to me ;) the fluctuations can be frustrating, but seeing all of them is encouraging rather than discouraging for me. We are traveling so I have missed a few day, no biggie, but I have been “stuck” in the same 1 pound range for 11 days. I am frustrated by that, but then again I can look back and see that there is a trend where I lose a couple pounds quickly (only staying in that 1 pound range for 3 or 4 days), get stuck, drop, get stuck... so I am patiently waiting for that drop, knowing it is likely coming soon.
  • jimb2u
    jimb2u Posts: 5 Member
    I weigh myself daily to keep myself accountable and also to track how different foods and eating patterns impact my weight. It took a very long time for me to realize and really understand that the numbers on the scale don’t mean everything. They are only one data point in my health and that how my clothes fit is a much more accurate measure of my overall fitness.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    I weigh daily, or almost daily. I’m learning to detach from the daily number and moving on to following trends. I have a smart scale (Fitbit Aria) and I don’t really even look at the number when I weigh in. I just step on the scale, step off, get dressed and ready to go and then check the numbers and my Happy Scale trends on my phone while I’m having breakfast or in the bus during my morning commute. It’s still a learning process, but so far this feels mentally better than trying to keep track of trends and weekly highs/lows in my mind, or weekly weigh-ins where I would spend the morning not eating breakfast and going to the bathroom 3 times just to be at the lowest possible weight for the weekly weigh-in.
  • MelodiousMermaid
    MelodiousMermaid Posts: 380 Member
    Here's my take, based on my own experiences and what I've learned from reading up.

Unless you need to do otherwise (such as if you find it overly psychologically taxing), daily weigh-ins after waking up and using the bathroom are the way to go. Especially so if you are a woman who is not in peri-/menopause or with a condition modifying the standard hormonal profile.

Using a trending app is very helpful for many people. This can be a web-based app (such as weightgrapher.com) or a smartphone app (such as Libra or Happy Scale). I have experience with weightgrapher.com and do find it useful. I noticed it also has the ability to log notes related to weigh-ins, which is a useful tool when a major shift (such as starting a new exercise program) happens.

Additionally, some people (myself included) find it helpful to have reference points to the prior month and/or cycle. If you have a predictable cycle, this is easily set up in a spreadsheet. One final data point that is particularly useful is a 7-day rolling average, which can also be easily set up in a spreadsheet.

Alternately, trending apps usually offer an option to have a comparison to other timeframes, such as 1 month, 3 months, etc., which can be enough in itself for some people.

Depending on the part of the hormonal cycle a female is in, she will have different weights. By having different reference points, especially if the "same cycle" parts can be compared, it offers clearer insight to how things are really going. The water weight changes really drive some ladies crazy, and being able to separate that out is a big stress reliever.

Try a few different things for a month (or two-three) and see what you like. I do have to say that the idea of weighing in and having it record without being seen might be a great thing indeed, as I can imagine things could get more frustrating/stressful as one gets closer to UGW or even getting into maintenance.

Best of luck to you as you close in on the final stretch!
  • I weigh myself daily to stay aware of where my weight is and think about my weight more in a 5-pound range than being fixated on the specific number since there are daily fluctuations.

I also know some people feel triggered by seeing their weight all the time and do better weighing weekly, monthly, etc. So ultimately you have to do what works for you and what's comfortable.