Depression after large weight loss

It's hard to write this but I have to reach out to ppl who might have been there before or have advice.

I am down about 100 lbs from my heaviest. I have lost it over a couple of yrs , lifting heavy and counting Cal's. It's hasn't been a super fast Loss.

Over the last few months I have been increasingly hard on my appearance. I can hear myself doing it but I just can't seem to stop. I was never like this when heavier.

I feel almost like I want to look "perfect" now that I have lost the weight but I know logically no one is perfect. It's been hard trying to get out of my own head. I try to embrace all I have done but can't seem to shake negative thought.

I have started seeing a therapist. I know that was a good decision but I was curious if anyone else has experienced this?

Replies

• mi_nina_lola
    mi_nina_lola Posts: 767 Member
    there's something called imposter syndrome. i've dealt with it too. i've felt this way as well - even though i only lost twenty pounds. be kind to yourself Lady.... <3
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Congrats on your fabulous loss! I didn’t personally experience this after losing 150 but I’m glad you’re seeking support.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    I am glad that you're seeing a therapist. Some people do experience body dysmorphia after weight loss, so you are not alone in this. I hope the therapist is able to help.
  • cosmichvoyager
    cosmichvoyager Posts: 237 Member
    Yes, it can be really unsettling to lose a large amount of weight.
    Sending support! You're not alone and I am proud of you for going to therapy.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,526 Member
    If you mean that you're expecting yourself to look better after all the time and energy you put into getting in shape then I hear you! I didn't really think of anything but being healthier when I started losing my weight and working out. It was nearer to goal that I started wondering why I wasn't looking better. I'm 100lbs down and didn't have saggy skin until the last 15lbs. I figured at least it was all hidden under clothes when one day I realized I had saggy inner elbows! Not something others would notice but I do. I'm doing my best to accept who I am now but it's not always easy.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    you've nearly lost a person.
    therapy will help you find this new person you've discovered.
  • tony56pr
    tony56pr Posts: 141 Member
    Think it has to do with how obsessed you become during journey. For me, originally set goal of 195 pounds, (8-13-13 weighed 295+, 9-2014 got down to 162.4 pounds) but became about seeing how lean I could get (wanted abs). Anyways i certainly got the blues (8 months or so in and didnt feel normal until few months into bulk. (Concentration changed to getting stronger)
  • GW4321
    GW4321 Posts: 523 Member
    edited December 2019
    I lost over 100lbs a few years ago. I wouldn't really say that I was depressed after that, but it certainly didn't feel as good as I expected. I was happy with my accomplishment, but I didn't really feel much different physically. I always heard people talk about how great they felt after losing weight, but that never really happened for me. I also found myself missing my old way of eating. I didn't enjoy being that big, but I certainly enjoyed eating what I wanted without being concerned about how many calories it had or worrying about gaining weight. Overall, I'm glad I lost weight and became more active, but it didn't make me any happier.

I also agree with the other posters about being obsessed with the journey and having a goal, and then suddenly it's gone. Trying to maintain isn't very exciting.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    im down 90 and struggle with depression. I dealt with feeling and trouble by eating. Once i took that away a lot of things come to the surface.