Does anyone have this issue?/

Ok so I have been working out very good for the past 4 months. I have dropped about 18 pounds which I am ok with. But here's the thing. In the past month and a half the scale hasn't moved but maybe 2 pounds. However....my pants keep getting loser and I tried on a pair of jeans I haven't worn in almost 2 years and they fit! But the last time i wore these pants I was 10 lbs lighter. So I guess I am gaining some muscle.

But my question is does anyone have this problem. Where the scale doesn't move anymore but clothes keep fitting better. I am such a scale addict and I want to see it move but I am happy my clothes fit too. I have a hard time believing I am gaining as much muscle as I am losing fat. But that would be the only reason the scale wouldn't move right?? I don't feel like it is a plateau because I am continually changing my diet and exercise programs. Any thoughts?

Replies

• Ok so I have been working out very good for the past 4 months. I have dropped about 18 pounds which I am ok with. But here's the thing. In the past month and a half the scale hasn't moved but maybe 2 pounds. However....my pants keep getting loser and I tried on a pair of jeans I haven't worn in almost 2 years and they fit! But the last time i wore these pants I was 10 lbs lighter. So I guess I am gaining some muscle.

But my question is does anyone have this problem. Where the scale doesn't move anymore but clothes keep fitting better. I am such a scale addict and I want to see it move but I am happy my clothes fit too. I have a hard time believing I am gaining as much muscle as I am losing fat. But that would be the only reason the scale wouldn't move right?? I don't feel like it is a plateau because I am continually changing my diet and exercise programs. Any thoughts?
  • Eliyan
    Eliyan Posts: 115
    Ugh, I have the opposite problem, and I have to tell you, it's pretty annoying too. The scale IS going down, but I look the same and my clothes fit the same. I'd like to SEE a difference.

But I guess we just have to give it time, and soon enough the other part will catch up.

:flowerforyou:
  • Ok so I have been working out very good for the past 4 months. I have dropped about 18 pounds which I am ok with. But here's the thing. In the past month and a half the scale hasn't moved but maybe 2 pounds. However....my pants keep getting loser and I tried on a pair of jeans I haven't worn in almost 2 years and they fit! But the last time i wore these pants I was 10 lbs lighter. So I guess I am gaining some muscle.

Yes I absolutely have that problem and I am a scale person too. I have dropped a size, but the scale hasnt changed. I have stopped doing weights for a few weeks so that psychologically I can stay motivated by seeing the scale change. I am easier on myself in that my goal weight has changed because I figure to allow around a kilo for muscle gain, but i need to do cardio only for a little while otherwise I will stress too much.
  • Yeah I have been thinking about stopping weights for a while as well. But then again I don't want to lose any muscle I've built up. But it is so frustrating not to see the scale move!!!!!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Besides the first couple of lbs being water weight, you absolutely can gain enough muscle to compensate for weight loss at the beginning. Eventually your muscle will get to an equilibrium where it feels like it doesn't need to grow so rapidly and then the weight will start to come off. But keep using the measurements to check yourself, it's just as accurate (if not more) a way to measure as the scale is.

The great part is, remember, the more muscle you put on, the more calories your body will burn! Muscle burns calories even at rest. I imagine your BMR has gone up quite a bit if you have put on 10 - 15 lbs of muscle.

That's some great work by the way. 18 lbs in 2 months is just over 1 lb a week, plus some pant sizes. You can't ask for much more then that. I know it's frustrating not seeing the scale move. Maybe you should try putting the scale away for a few weeks. That's what I did at about the 2 month point, and when I checked again at the 3 month point I went from 21 to 32 lbs! It's very liberating not checking the scale daily.
  • Dude, your a guy, it's ok to weigh alot. If I could, I would keep my 250 lbs with out the fat. Sounds to me like you are achieveing your goal just fine. If your that worried about the scale, then you'll have to stop lifting weights because your just replacing fat with muscle, or what you could do is switch your workout to more of an endurance/cardio workout. Instead of lifting a lot of weight for a few reps, lift a little weight for a lot of reps. Include more endurance exercises like jump rope or pushup's. Hopefully that'll do the trick for you.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Ugh, I know. I'm to the point now where the scale actually went up a pound (but my body fat % went down) and I'm a lady, and so it's not OK for me to weight a lot? LOL...

A tape measure would be the best 99 cents you've ever spent. For a guesstimate of where you started, measure the inside waist of your bigger pants.

And then, put the scale away. Step away from the scale. It is the :devil: .

:flowerforyou:
  • Yeah i think i need to put the scale away. I guess I have just been acclimated to being a certain weight and thought i should get there again. But if i am putting on muscle instead of fat then one day it will all even out i guess. The scale IS the devil. I wish i had the attitude that it was ok to weigh a lot since i am a guy..lol.
  • pam0206
    pam0206 Posts: 700 Member
    I'm in the same boat. As I'm getting closer to my goal, I'm not losing on the scale, but my new jeans from the GAP are getting too big. I'm not sure if I'm angry or happy about that! haha
  • KJaxFL
    KJaxFL Posts: 16
    I've been working out for 3 weeks and counting calories. The scale will not move and if it does, it goes UP a few pounds, never LESS than what I started at. It sucks. lol. I was told that I will gain muscle first and that is the reason for the weight gain but , it still sucks. I have noticed my pants are fitting better and my thighs feel tighter:bigsmile: . I have a scale addiction big time lol. I think the best thing to do is weigh yourself every 2 weeks.