Pandora radio. A joke.

Options
Seriously contemplating sending them this email:

I've personally selected an 80's hair metal station. So far, you've shown me nothing but... well... Motley Crue. And Poison. I was born in the 80's, so I'm pretty damn sure there were more bands in the 80's except for those two. Granted, I've seen both in concert, and I LOVED them... I still love Motley Crue to this day.... but.... please play more bands.

I also just heard Stevie Ray Vaughan. I'm pretty sure.... don't quote me on this.... that he's not "80's hair metal." And I'm sure that his die-hard fans would agree with me. Shame, shame on you for putting such an amazing icon in this station.

Plus.... I'm currently listening to Jimi Hendrix "All Along the Watchtower." Once again.... don't quote me on this.... but .... I'm not exactly sure how he fits in to the "80's hair metal" theme.

Maybe I should pay the $36 a year and upgrade. Maybe that will get me the wonderful "pandora opportunity" to listen to more bands.

Oh... and please stop playing Whitesnake. Believe it or not, they had more than one song out.... and yes, we still bring back memories of Tawny Kitaen and the splits on the car.

Sincerely, a REAL music fan.

Replies

• degobah
    degobah Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Pandora is amazing! Just give the songs you don't like a thumbs down and they will never play them again. Paying the $36 removes commercials... Nothing more.
  • melissa_leah
    Options
    It doesn't really go by genre.. you need to read how it works to understand why it plays certain music. I love pandora!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    absolutely love pandora. I type in an artist and can find so much new music!
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I selected a specific "80's hair metal" station. I've only gotten Motley Crue, Poison, and Whitesnake.

I've also rated songs, too.... but I guess since I've only rated the songs from the bands listed above, they don't want to play anything else?
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    You are better off picking a song, and then making a station from that song.
    My favorite stations are:
    Lebanese Blonde radio
    Cada Biejo radio
    Kid Sister radio
    Nadia Ali radio
    4am radio
    I Against I radio
    Skrillex radio
    Mord Fustang radio
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I rock out on my Rob Zombie radio station all the time...if I hear something I don't like, I thumbs down, and poof it's gone.
  • degobah
    degobah Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Try starting with a song or band you love... and let it go from there. The first 30 songs make sure to thumbs up or down so it gets an understanding of your taste. I love pandora... they are the future!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    there's a search box where you can add your own choices to create your own station, that's what I do :) otherwise it sometimes feels like "6 degrees of separation" hehe

I created an "Asia" station (I needed mellow 80s pop rock at work today lol) and just kept adding similar artists til I got a mix I liked...
  • _David_
    _David_ Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Log in online and it helps you select some of the stations better. I love it, just kills battery on my phone
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    Options
    I'm also doing this on my phone, since I can't access Pandora at work... and the app isn't very good. I can't find a "search" box to save my life.
  • risefromruin
    risefromruin Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I never really liked Pandora. I use last.fm.
  • NatalieWiley
    NatalieWiley Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    You should get Spotify but it will cost ya. Coworker swears by it.
  • melissa_leah
    Options
    You can "add variety" to any station you have. You can add songs or artists to any station! That might help add something and help you enjoy it more....
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    Options
    I'm trying... I really am.... still stuck on the 80's hair metal station... can't change it.... no option to do so....

annnnd... they just played Shinedown.
  • whatwentwrong
    Options
    i didn't like it the first time i tried it, but i was bored a while ago and tried again and found SO many great bands. i barely had to skip any songs, it was great :D maybe try a band station rather than genre?
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    WHY can't the genius programmers of the world combine Spotify with Pandora for the ultimate music orgasm on earth?? WHY??
  • heather7marie
    heather7marie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Forget Pandora. Spotify is where it's at. haha I just use the free version and it's still WAY better than Pandora. If I had the money right now, I'd upgrade though.
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    A music related techie post for those who have an iPhone or iPod Touch:

If you buy an AirPort express and add it to your wireless network, you not only extend your network, but you can connect your stereo, or even powered speakers to the AirPort and then use airtunes. Then you can listen to Pandora or your iPod music, or any music on your device wirelessly through your stereo system. I set this up in my bedroom and listen to my iPhone music and Pandora daily. You can leave the iPhone in your pocket and use it.

Additionally, if you get the Apple Remote app, you can control iTunes on your PC, and add the speakers in the other room through airtunes, or just the other room for that matter, your choice, and control it on your iPhone (or iPod Touch). Pretty handy, and it just works. No drama or tweaking. And its chick friendly.
  • skittybang
    skittybang Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    LAST.FM !!!
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    I love Pandora, but I have had my account forever, so not sure if it does it to newer accounts, but I can only listen to 40 hours a month, then cannot use it until the next month! (This is for the free version)

I also LOVE:
    Spotify (my favorite by far)
    Slacker
    Last.FM
    Jango