Making changes in life

Options
jacksarcia1
jacksarcia1 Posts: 25 Member
edited December 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
5 months ago my life sucked.
My marriage was in jeopardy, I was smoking weed everyday, and out of shape.
My son and wife deserve nothing less than the best version on myself.
I moved out in hope of not further damaging my marriage, quit all drugs (weed nicotine caffine) and started working on myself. I'm eating clean around 1800 cal a day and I've been losing about 1lb a week. I train jiu jitsu 2x a week and I'm at the gym at 5am 6 days a week.
I'm far from perfect and I struggle with cheat meals on the weekend but the progress has been steady. I've lost 33 pounds and I'm working on being better than yesterday, everyday. 1on01pdk1nqt.jpg

[edited by MFP Moderators]

Replies

• sflano1783
    sflano1783 Posts: 117 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I moved out in hope of not further damaging my marriage, quit all drugs (weed nicotine caffine) and started working on myself. I'm eating clean around 1800 cal a day and I've been losing about 1lb a week. I train jiu jitsu 2x a week and I'm at the gym at 5am 6 days a week.
    I'm far from perfect and I struggle with cheat meals on the weekend but the progress has been steady. I've lost 33 pounds and I'm working on being better than yesterday, everyday. 1on01pdk1nqt.jpg

What type of meal do you eat I need to do the same iv alot of bodyfat to lose its just my meal plan that I struggle with.
  • jacksarcia1
    edited December 2019
    Options
    sflano1783 wrote: »

What type of meal do you eat I need to do the same iv alot of bodyfat to lose its just my meal plan that I struggle with.

Protein and protein shakes.
  • sflano1783
    Options

Protein and protein shakes.

Do you eat any carbs or vegetables aswel
  • jacksarcia1
    Options
    Yes, veggies. But other than that my carb intake is very low. No fruit and almost no sugar unless I'm cheatin' on the weekend.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Thank you for taking responsibility to better yourself and do what's right for your family. I wish you the best!
  • sflano1783
    Options
    Yes, veggies. But other than that my carb intake is very low. No fruit and almost no sugar unless I'm cheatin' on the weekend.

Cool yeah thanks for the tips 😊
  • jacksarcia1
    Options
    Thank you for taking responsibility to better yourself and do what's right for your family. I wish you the best!

Thank you for the well wishes!
  • sflano1783
    Options

How many meals do you eat per day to lose the weight?
  • Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    This is amazing! So happy you’re focusing on you and your family!

Remember at the end of the day, carbs have nothing at all to do with weight loss, only calories. But if you just want to cut them out because you don’t love them no problem with that :)

Enjoy your continued progress and success!
  • EmilyEnough
    EmilyEnough Posts: 67 Member
    Options

This is the fast way. People hate it but it does work to speed things up. Just be careful when you reintroduce carbs. Go slowwwww. Or the regain is often a shocker.
  • EmilyEnough
    EmilyEnough Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Oh and super congrats on changes. Take time to address the emotional reasons for previous lifestyle too, it will help tremendously 💓
  • jacksarcia1
    Options
    msalicia07 wrote: »
    This is amazing! So happy you’re focusing on you and your family!

Remember at the end of the day, carbs have nothing at all to do with weight loss, only calories. But if you just want to cut them out because you don’t love them no problem with that :)

Enjoy your continued progress and success!

Thank you for the info I have heard people talk about a "re-composition", is that the same as what you are pointing out?
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    Recomposition is when you stay basically at maintenance (calories and weight) but build muscle while losing fat. You need to be lifting progressively in order to do this.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options

How many meals do you eat per day to lose the weight?

Meal/snack timing is at most a minor factor for most people in weight loss, from a technical (physiological) standpoint.

Different people find that different eating schedules help them in some way: Some find that one (big!) meal a day helps them control calories, or another intermittent fasting approach like limited eating hours or a couple days with very low calories at different times in the week, with the other days at maintenance. Other people find that eating frequently is more helpful to them in managing appetite while hitting the right number of calories, maybe even all-day grazing on tiny amounts. And there are many options in between those extremes, of course.

Some people find that different eating schedules affect energy level or workout performance in particular ways (some like to work out fasted, saying that it burns more fat; others find their workout performance lags if they don't eat beforehand).

People will argue that one or another of these "revs metabolism" or "controls appetite" or "burns more fat" or "hacks body chemistry" (usually insulin activity) in some major and true-for-all sense. The science, IMO, is ambiguous - i.e., maybe so, maybe not - for most of these ideas, currently, if one evaluates the research neutrally, rather than from a position of advocacy.

For most normal people, IMO, happy compliance with reduced calories is a much bigger practical factor for success than any of these things would amount to, in a metabolic or theoretical calorie-burn/fat-burn sense. Experimenting with your personal eating schedule to see what works best for you personally is a good plan.

If you prefer to start the experiments with some approach that has a persuasive sales job in your opinion, that's fine. I'd just suggest that you keep in mind that if experiment #1 is unpleasant or impractical for you in some way, there are possibly other approaches with will be more helpful for you personally.

It's kind of easy to buy in to a "diet religion", and think it's the only path. In the unfortunate cases where it doesn't work out for a person, sometimes they come to think of themselves as a failure, when it's just that some other adequate method would've suited them better.

Best wishes!
  • jacksarcia1
    Options
    Recomposition is when you stay basically at maintenance (calories and weight) but build muscle while losing fat. You need to be lifting progressively in order to do this.

That sounds like a lot of fun. My goal is to get big and strong but stay lean. I was planning to eat an extra 200 cal a day and start lifting progressively after I reach my weightloss goal. Any advice on reaching my big strong lean guy goal?
  • jacksarcia1
    Options
    Oh and super congrats on changes. Take time to address the emotional reasons for previous lifestyle too, it will help tremendously 💓

Thank you Emily. I think I understand what you are saying. I thought I had a "drug" problem but it turns out I am the problem and the drugs were a symptom. I'm working through the emotional excavation now with progress and support from others.
  • DancingMoosie
    edited December 2019
    Options

That sounds like a lot of fun. My goal is to get big and strong but stay lean. I was planning to eat an extra 200 cal a day and start lifting progressively after I reach my weightloss goal. Any advice on reaching my big strong lean guy goal?

Start lifting now. Don't wait. Just keep trying to progress throughout your weightloss. You might be surprised where you end up!
  • jacksarcia1
    Options

Start lifting now. Don't wait. Just keep trying to progress throughout your weightloss. You might be surprised where you end up!

Thanks! I have been lifting through my weight cut period but had no goals of increasing the weight. Ironically, I did make small increases because apparently I gained strength even while maintaining a caloric deficit. When I shift gears from cutting to lean bulk I will begin increasing weight and doing fail sets. Any thoughts or advice on that?
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    There's no reason to wait to increase weights. As you noticed, you can increase strength while in a deficit.
  • jacksarcia1
    Options
    There's no reason to wait to increase weights. As you noticed, you can increase strength while in a deficit.

Yahoo 😏