Weight gain

Options
Hi everyone I’m new hear only got a fit bit yesterday. So I weighed myself today and in 1 week I’ve gone from 133lb to 140lb!!! Yes I’ve indulged a lot with it being Christmas but surly it shouldn’t be that bad? Has anyone else gained a lot over Christmas?

Replies

• HeatherLeAnn622
    HeatherLeAnn622 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Good morning! You may just be seeing water retention from added sodium over the week. (I did!!) Unless you've been eating 5000+ calories per day for the entire week, I doubt you've really put on that much actual body fat. (this math is assuming 3500 = approx 1 lb of fat, on top of your TDEE). And if you did consume that much, then today's a new day!! :) I hope you had a great holiday!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    ANYTIME you consume more than you burn, the outcome is usually to gain weight. High weight gain in a week is usually due to water retention unless you overindulged in a lot of excess calories. But as mentioned, you don't correct the problem dwelling on it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• sweetbe44
    sweetbe44 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I went up about 3 lbs this morning because I ate all the things yesterday and then some. From experience though I know this is not fat gain. As the others have mentioned it’s water retention, waste, etc. and all will return to normal in a few days. I’ll return to my usual food intake and drink lots of water.
  • stricklandjmo
    stricklandjmo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm gaining weight because my will power is low. I'm on a restricted sodium diet and it's hard to stay away from it.