tasty way to add fiber?

Options
I just made my first ever homemade whole wheat waffle (with chopped nuts!) without using mix, and it turned out delish. BUT... those devils only have 1G of fiber in each. Does anyone have a tasty add in that would boost that fiber count for me? Usually I have a whole grain muffin for breakies, which comes in at 8G of fiber... and while I love the taste of the homemade waffle, I really don't like losing that much fiber in my first meal of the day. Ideas? And TIA. ;)

Replies

• IndyFitJoe5
    IndyFitJoe5 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If you can add a tbsp of either chia seed or flaxseed, that will add fiber. Oatmeal has fiber. Avocado and eggplant have good fiber. Watch your carbs and calories though.

Sola bread or buns are loaded with fiber, with relatively low carbs and calories.

Also, leafy veggies have fiber.

Hope that helps.
  • weight3049
    weight3049 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of getting fiber from fruits: apples, mandarin oranges etc.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Putting raspberries on them would add some.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    How much are you willing to change the recipe? You could do a bran waffle, but that would be substantially different from what you made.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,293 Member
    Options
    A couple tablespoons of wheat bran could be subbed for an equal amount of flour, and has around 3g fiber in 16 calories. It might change either the amount of liquid you need, a little, or require a little more "soak time" (not long) before cooking, for best results. Usually, once you have a feel for how thick your pancake/waffle batter should be, it's pretty straightforward to experiment with those things.

A couple tablespoons of milled flax seed would add a little crunch, and 4g fiber, without changing the liquid requirements much. That is 60 cals, though, but has a little protein (3g), some potassium (89g), bits of other micros, and a decent amount of ALA (an Omega-3).
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    thanks y'all, greatly appreciated!
  • poisonesse
    Options
    Just wanted to add, I can't believe I'm having such a hard time finding wheat bran at my local stores! So I ordered some via Amazon, I'll try that out in my next batch of waffles! Again, thanks y'all! :*
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Inulin powder from Bulk Supplements on Amazon. It just adds a very lightly sweet flavor to anything.
  • poisonesse
    Options
    Update... yesterday my wheat bran arrived, so I made my nutty whole wheat waffles for lunch today. I substituted 1/4 cup of all purpose flour with the bran, then proceeded as normal. THEY WERE DELICIOUS! And I added an extra 5 grams of fiber to the recipe. thanks for the suggestion @AnnPT77, I think I'll be tossing this bran into more of my home baked recipes! :D