Target Heart Rate

Options
:noway: Does anyone know how to use the heart rate that comes up on the machine as an indicator of doing something right? My heart rate was 175 and I'm 23. Is this too much. I think my target heart rate is like 150 or something like that. What happens when you pass it? Can I hurt myself?

Replies

• chapagonzo
    Options
    Google Target Heart Rate and it will show you how to calculate it. I am 53 and mine is 165. I would say that you need to check to make sure that the rate you stated is appropriate for your age.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I found such a wide range of answers when I googled this.

I'm wondering what the concensus is here

Don't know if this is helpful but I found this...

target-heart-rate-for-weight-loss.jpg
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Max heart rate is 220 minus your age so your estimated max would be 197. IIRC, target heart rate ranges from 55%-85% of your max so your top end would be 167-ish. Exceeding it isn't too terribly bad as long as it's done in short bursts. Do your best to stay below it though. As you get more fit you'll be able to work harder with a lower heart rate.
  • becalee26
    becalee26 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    my heartbeat goes high someimes, to like 180 usually i increase my running or spinning effort. i don't worry about it becaues it doesn't stay that high.
  • becalee26
    becalee26 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    my heartbeat goes high someimes, to like 180 usually i increase my running or spinning effort. i don't worry about it becaues it doesn't stay that high.
  • theprettyone1010
    theprettyone1010 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I found such a wide range of answers when I googled this.

I'm wondering what the concensus is here

Don't know if this is helpful but I found this...

target-heart-rate-for-weight-loss.jpg

This chart is perfect, it's pretty spot-on as far as how fast your heart should be pumping if you're trying to burn calories.

I use a heart rate monitor but usually when I work out I range from about 110 during warm ups up to 180s when I'm really pushing hard. My average heart rate for workouts is usually around 152 and I burn about 345 calories per 30 minutes.

So it sounds like 175 bpm is right on track for you.
  • wtorc
    wtorc Posts: 9
    Options
    as a sport medicine physician the follow is the best way to find your MHR---you age has nothing to do with it---I'm 68 and have had mine up to 200 when racing---your MHR does not change as you get older, only your conditioning---also read the book by Sally Edwards on 'Heart Zone Training'----good luck

The SubMax 1-Mile Walking Test. Go to any high school or college track (most are 400 meters or 440 yards around) and walk or stride as fast as you can in your current condition. Walk as fast as is comfortable. Walk four continuous laps.

The last lap is the important one. Take your pulse, or use your heart rate monitor, to determine your average heart rate for only the last lap. The first three laps are just to get you to reach a heart rate plateau and to stay there for the last lap.

Add to this average last lap heart rate the one of the following that best matches your current fitness level:
    1. Poor Shape: +40 bpm
    2. Average Shape: +50 bpm
    3. Excellent Shape: +60 bpm
    This final number (for example, an average 135 bpm last lap plus 60 bpm, because I'm in excellent shape, would equal 195 bpm for me) should be fairly close to your Max HR.
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I thought it is supposed to be 220 minus your age and then 60-70% of that

so yours would be 118-138
  • wtorc
    wtorc Posts: 9
    Options
    no----my 60-70% is 127.6-139.7
    my MHR is 176----you are saying everybody my or your age has the same HR-False---also your saying your MHR decreases with age--False
    it's just your ability to achieve that rate, unless you do cardio training----I run 4.5 miles per day and stay in the 70-85% range for at lest 3 miles and for close to 1 mile in the 90% range and the balance of 1/2 mile warm/cool down----I'm not over weight, I had been writing down my intake and workout for over 20 years and I found this site and it makes it easier to keep track---I use the garmin training center to record my runs---over the years I saw to many patients that did not have the energy to get out their own way, and I did not want to be like that---now I did not mean to lecture you, but I have read a lot of misconceptions on this site by some people and it's good that people are concerned about their health but they should research more and not ask another lay person for health advice--for what works for some does not for others----it looks like you have done well---I do not know where your were or where you are headed but if you base your MHR on formula I had posted and work out in the 70-85% range you will see faster gains, of course if the food intake is good---Ok, I'll get of my soap box and bid you farewell...........wts
  • BenKnowsFitness
    BenKnowsFitness Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    U can hurt yourself but I don't think there is a HR magic number at which this will occur. I rate the HR charts with the BMI charts (worthless). During exercise a person knows if they are a little bit fatigued or majorly fatigued or somewhere in between. To arrive at a sensible HR target a person can correlate the fatigue level to their HR.
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    bump!!
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    no----my 60-70% is 127.6-139.7
    my MHR is 176----you are saying everybody my or your age has the same HR-False---also your saying your MHR decreases with age--False
    it's just your ability to achieve that rate, unless you do cardio training----I run 4.5 miles per day and stay in the 70-85% range for at lest 3 miles and for close to 1 mile in the 90% range and the balance of 1/2 mile warm/cool down----I'm not over weight, I had been writing down my intake and workout for over 20 years and I found this site and it makes it easier to keep track---I use the garmin training center to record my runs---over the years I saw to many patients that did not have the energy to get out their own way, and I did not want to be like that---now I did not mean to lecture you, but I have read a lot of misconceptions on this site by some people and it's good that people are concerned about their health but they should research more and not ask another lay person for health advice--for what works for some does not for others----it looks like you have done well---I do not know where your were or where you are headed but if you base your MHR on formula I had posted and work out in the 70-85% range you will see faster gains, of course if the food intake is good---Ok, I'll get of my soap box and bid you farewell...........wts

Didn't mean to strike a nerve - this is why I stated 'I thought' - sorry I had gotten the formula from another site
  • JJostesCheng
    Options
    Bump
  • emergence
    Options
    I'm 36 and I used to be very fit and have let my weight go over the past few years. I used to be able to hit about 210 at maximum intensity a few years ago and despite my poor current condition and additional age I can still do this. My doctor say it's ok in short bursts which is kind of enforced as this intensity is the falling over nearly puking kind of level.

Previous experience has shown me that mixing a bit of short high intensity training into your regime is very productive as it increases your capacity to do exercise.

Not recommended if you have heart health or hypertension issues I guess.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!