What helps you to stay on track?

Options
Hi this is my first time posting. I’ve lost 100 lbs from 280lbs to 180lbs I’m 5’9. The problem is after I lost the weight a couple months later I gained 20lbs back then another 20 and another 20 now I’m close to where I started at 230lbs. And I’ve also been back in forth up and down on the scale. Mainly I can’t seem to stay motivated and I’m not even motivated to track everything daily it’s just not become a habit. Does anyone have any advice on how to keep up with tracking food and exercise and/or how to stay motivated to stick to a weight loss plan? I would really appreciate some insight on this. Thanks everyone.

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    pre-log foods to the greatest extent possible; meal plan (makes logging easier); don't set your goals too agressive, remember MFP is built on the premise of eating back workout calories
  • sugarcakes38
    sugarcakes38 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Routine (eating schedule, pattern, food) helps me stay on track. I consider these days “normal”, in where my menu/daily schedule is planned and outside interference is minimal. Of course not all days go according to the usual plan; parties, holidays, eating out. Even on those days, if I eat according to my calories and not abandon my logging, the day usually ends on the same productive note.
  • laceybrobie
    laceybrobie Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I’m in the same boat. I’m using my profile online to track my goals. 5lb loses is my goal right now. I’ve got about 100 lbs to go as well.

SW 247
    CW 239
    GW 145

6nunbgm9pihd.png

• Darren225g
    Darren225g Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    For food i tend to log my food a few days in advance so i'll know what to prepare when that certain day comes. I also kinda think it's important to make your food tasty so that you enjoy it, and not forcing yourself to eat bland dry food.So dress it up a little bit with some spices and experiment a bit.

For workout
    I tend to set goals so that i'll always have something to work forward to. If i have no sense of direction i'll get bored very fast and lose motivation. Writing down your progress is also another way to keep yourself motivated.

All easier said than done, but take your time and go about it little by little until you find your groove.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    Don't keep doing what you've been doing..because it doesn't work for you. Find a new approach. Maybe focus on getting healthy and get into nutrition and make that your main goal; to start eating fresh vegetables for a different reason other than they're 25 calories a cup.

Maybe become a fitness freak...join a gym and make it your new social scene.

I make rules for myself.. that works well for me. like no fast food, no eating at concession Stands at events ...no fried foods..and no sugar. seems if I eliminate certain bad foods and make rules.. I just eat better all the way around and then lose weight.

and my biggest suggestion is take a before picture in your underwear and look at it each day. I did that..and I found a way real fast to get the weight off.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,477 Member
    Options
    How do you go about deciding not to log your food?

• babecker1951
    babecker1951 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I struggle a lot too. I just keep starting again. I also have a few food rules that help me. I live alone, and I no longer allow myself to eat restaurant food alone. This stops my ordering in, or picking up stuff on my way home. I eat a fruit or veg at every meal. I log a day ahead so I know what I’m eating tomorrow and I don’t have to think about it. I listen to a podcast everyday, We Only Look Thin. I also log, even when it’s bad. I’m hoping that 2020 will see me at my goal! Positive thoughts!!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    pre-log foods to the greatest extent possible; meal plan (makes logging easier); don't set your goals too agressive, remember MFP is built on the premise of eating back workout calories

All this.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I posted some of my progress pics in my workout area. They help keep me motivated as much as anything. And just reminding myself how I felt before and not wanting to go back there.
    “Why” do you want to stay motivated? “That” is your motivation.
  • fdlewenstein
    fdlewenstein Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I found the best motivation for me was when I was at my lowest. Until you are truly ready to make a lifelong commitment to your health, you may not be motivated. I decided (and told myself for a long time) that I needed to make a drastic change. I absolutely hated the way I looked and felt. One day I just decided it was time. I am determined now to make that change. I've lost 45 pounds since August (half of my target goal). I could share what motivates me, but I think in reality that is different for each individual. Find what works for you. Ultimately, consistency is the key. Good luck!
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,641 Member
    Options
    Making large batches of food (right now soups, chili, gumbo, beans), freezing half, and having it throughout the week helps. I make meals with enough for an extra night. I also have quick meals like sweet potatoes with black beans and salsa or Madras lentils on hand for when I don't want to cook. As far as logging, it's a pain until you get your main foods in the database and make logging a habit. It's like brushing your teeth, make it a habit whether it's logging in advance, after each meal, or the end of the day. I love the idea of pre-logging but seem to change my mind all the time to wanting different food so I stopped.

As far as motivation, honestly you have to really think of why you want this. Right now I've gotten off diabetes medication and am in remission, lost 100lbs, and am more mobile than I've been in 25 years. A couple years ago I was completely bedridden. Thinking about full-blown diabetes and amputation freaks me out enough to keep going as does the idea of being bedridden again.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    For me, I had to have my head in the game. I literally wrote down a pro and con list about losing weight. I am a type 2 diabetic for 20 years plus.
    I had successfully lost about 65 pounds, then I let life get in the way. My fault, but when over 5 months I gained 15 back. I slapped myself up the side of my head so to speak and said stop right now, and get back to MFP.

Which I have been doing since September, have relost the 15 lbs again. And lost some on top of it.

To me I realized this is not a diet, it is me changing the way and what I eat for the rest of my life. I doubt due to length of time being a diabetic, it will get to remission. But goal is to get down to one medication. I am on two now. When I started I was on 4 just for my diabetes.

I log everything I eat, most of the time my breakfasts are the same. I tend to like others have said make a big pot of soup, freeze some, and then plan to have it for 3 or 4 days in a row.
    Weekly when I buy fresh vegetables for the week, I bring home, wash, cut up and bag so ready to just pick up and eat. I do the same with fruit, and nuts as well.

I eat at home about 90% of the time, helps with budget, helps me control food better.

No easy way, but if you are determined it can be done. Pick something you can enjoy doing for getting physical activity in. Can do at home, does not need to be in a gym. When I started was barely active, now I exercise 6 days a week for an hour. And it makes me feel better as well.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    I have to have my head in the game too. If my mindset isn't at a positive 'I can do this' level, then it just doesn't work for me. :( MFP has been invaluable to me as far as tracking calories and activity levels.
    And I know some people weigh every day but the most I weigh is 2x a week, usually just once though. I'm not one of those pre-plan type of people either. I know I always have healthy food choices in the kitchen so just open the fridge/cupboards and see what I feel like. :) Lots of veggies, oatmeal, chicken, some fruits and avocado thrown into the mix. I do have 1 downfall ATM; Italian bread so I have open-faced sandwiches when my calories allow.
    Good luck!!!
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 2,003 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    hipari wrote: »
    Exercise. And before someone comes disagreeing with me, let me explain. It’s not about exercise calories and creating a deficit through burning calories instead of controlling intake. It’s about regular exercise stabilizing my mood, lowering stress, keeping my back, shoulders and neck in good shape and not aching, and having that exercise time to reflect and think.

I find that without exercise or physical activity, I end up as a stressed, achy and cranky pile of blankets on the couch, eating whatever I can. I also sleep better when I have been physically active, which fuels the next day.

Agree with this. When I stopped exercising 16 years ago, I stopped with the portion control and everything else. I exercise 7 days a week. There is no excuse not to move, unless you are in an iron lung. Until you really want it, you will keep repeating the bad choices. Not being mean, but not just going to cheer lead either. Consistence is key...also weigh every piece of food entering your mouth!
  • AmandaABW
    AmandaABW Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the mental exercise of trying to get to the bottom of your motivation? You just keep asking “why?” until you get to the bottom of it. Example?

What’s your motivation?
    To lose weight.
    Why?
    To look better in pictures.
    Why?
    So I can have fun and not worry how I look in pictures.
    Why?
    Because I don’t want people to judge me.
    Why?
    Because my weight really hurts my self esteem.
    Why?
    Etc., etc., etc.

You can take the results of this exercise to figure out how to keep yourself motivated. Like, in this example, instead of scale victories maybe you’ll be more motivated with photos of your progress. And nothing will work (in this example) unless you’re focused on improving your self esteem. And when you start losing the motivation you can remind yourself of the REAL reason behind the weight loss goals if you’ve uncovered them!
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    hipari wrote: »
    Exercise. And before someone comes disagreeing with me, let me explain. It’s not about exercise calories and creating a deficit through burning calories instead of controlling intake. It’s about regular exercise stabilizing my mood, lowering stress, keeping my back, shoulders and neck in good shape and not aching, and having that exercise time to reflect and think.

I find that without exercise or physical activity, I end up as a stressed, achy and cranky pile of blankets on the couch, eating whatever I can. I also sleep better when I have been physically active, which fuels the next day.

Agree with this. When I stopped exercising 16 years ago, I stopped with the portion control and everything else. I exercise 7 days a week. There is no excuse not to move, unless you are in an iron lung. Until you really want it, you will keep repeating the bad choices. Not being mean, but not just going to cheer lead either. Consistence is key...also weigh every piece of food entering your mouth!

Determination to you have to want to do it and be consistent in your goals!
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    This may sound counter intuitive given where we are, but I do best with fitness goals.
    For me it's usually races of one kind or another. I enjoy it, pay money for it, feel tremendous when I complete it (for me time is irrelevant, completion is the goal)

The training comes first, that helps my mental health, if I'm making the effort to run 6 miles before breakfast I am going to fuel myself properly, and so the circle perpetuates itself.

In the past when the focus has just been my weight I can never maintain the effort, I simply don't care enough about it.
    Apparently my head requires a stupidly ambitious target and financial outlay to take it seriously.
    Just my experience of course, having spent most of the last 20 years trying to figure it out I have finally found something that I can stick to.