Lunch ideas?

Options
HI!

Does anyone have any ideas for healthy lunches?? I am sick of sandwiches!!!! I'm on a budget and having a hard time thinking of healthy foods without cooking for lunch.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Jen

Replies

• bitterbrownie
    Options
    i often cook a small amount of brown rice and then mix with veggies and meat. you could also do this with pasta

soup is a great idea too! either make your own or buy tinned and just heat and take wherever in an insulated container.

similar to sandwiches are wraps...but they're a bit different

chickpeas and cannelini beans make a great base for salads/mixed dishes - sometimes i coat them with chilli and a bit of salt and cook them in the oven until brown and crunchy and then you can add to salad, rice, meat etc

hope this helps
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    today i have rice (boiled with a stock cube in for flavour) with tuna, celery, cucumber & salad cream mixed together.

i quite often have salad, with either meat & a boiled egg or cottage cheese, but i'm getting a bit bored of that!
  • 17Chan
    Options
    cup of watermelon, cup of honey dew, some nuts.. done. Can also have a greek yogurt with that. (i typically have this for dinner at work, it's filling.)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    cup of watermelon, cup of honey dew, some nuts.. done. Can also have a greek yogurt with that. (i typically have this for dinner at work, it's filling.)

i would be hungry about 10 minutes after eating that....!!!
  • pipistrula
    Options
    I don't know if it'll help, but I've been just cooking a little extra when I make dinner and taking that for lunch. My favorite, which is SUPER easy to make and lasts quite a while is a bean salad! Mix a can of garbanzo beans, green beans, kidney beans, whatever other beans you want, add just a little oil, and some vinegar, and tada! It's actually surprisingly filling, keeps REALLY well, and if you let it sit a day or two, it'll absorb the taste of the vinegar and bit and it tastes great :)
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I've found the BBC Good Food website a really good source of lunch ideas that don't involve sandwiches!! It's a fab site generally too:
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/content/recipes/healthy/
  • Piglet_26
    Options
    Bump!!

I'm a bit of a pain when it comes to lunches, get bored very easily so i'm very interested to see what you guys come up with to keep me interested hehe
  • corinaspaiuc
    Options
    that could be either a dinner or breakfast but for lunch you need something to fill you up in the middle of the day;) try a big salad witth some greens and maybe,if you like diversity, try adding a couple of figs and some slices of apple with some blue cheese,it's awsome!
  • jblueskies7
    Options
    Thank you, thank you, thank you for all the great ideas! :))))