Need Help

Options
I have only logged my breakfast for this morning and already I am over my reccomended sugar for the day, I really need some ideas for my diet that is going to cut down on sugar.
Any ideas much appreciated

Replies

• taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    If you really want to cut down on sugar, you are on the right step. MFP will not lie to you if you log your foods. Is it already too late for breakfast? If you ate it, it's in your stomach, then yes. How will you recover for today? No process foods, no fast food, no restaurant food. Sugar found in vegetables are good. No fruit for you today. I would eat potatoes, and vegetables.

If you can that is.

Then I would try to eat the same types of foods everyday and log them in--to see your levels. The more consistent you are, the better your achievements (for now). As you grow in your knowledge of foods, you will be able to break the rules of consistency.

Good luck!
  • pipistrula
    Options
    If you friend me, I'd be more than happy to look over your food diary :) I'm not an expert, in ANY way shape or form, in fact am new to MFP, but I'm willing to give it a shot :D
  • KLi531
    KLi531 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    That was happening to me too because of the fruit I ate in the morning. I still eat it, so there are days that I am over a bit but I try to eat berries and fruits with less sugar in them.
  • ColleenB1980
    ColleenB1980 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If you really want to cut down on sugar, you are on the right step. MFP will not lie to you if you log your foods. Is it already too late for breakfast? If you ate it, it's in your stomach, then yes. How will you recover for today? No process foods, no fast food, no restaurant food. Sugar found in vegetables are good. No fruit for you today. I would eat potatoes, and vegetables.

If you can that is.

Then I would try to eat the same types of foods everyday and log them in--to see your levels. The more consistent you are, the better your achievements (for now). As you grow in your knowledge of foods, you will be able to break the rules of consistency.

Good luck!

Thank you, i have only brought fruit as my snacks for work today, tomorrow I will bring veg, I find if I dont bring something to snack on i end up buying chocolate or cakes and I need to get away from that habit. I think I reaslly need to change what I'm having for breakfast though !
  • edouglas3
    Options
    Have you tried looking for diabetic recipes? If sugar is your downfall, browse diabetic websites for tips on where to cut out sugar, use substitutes like splenda when you can, etc. diabeticlifestyle.com, for example, has a lot of recipes that are low in sugar and you can search by ingredients or course. and watch your fruit intake, especially juice!
  • taem
    Options
    Have you tried looking for diabetic recipes? If sugar is your downfall, browse diabetic websites for tips on where to cut out sugar, use substitutes like splenda when you can, etc. diabeticlifestyle.com, for example, has a lot of recipes that are low in sugar and you can search by ingredients or course. and watch your fruit intake, especially juice!

I am sorry but I have a differing opinion. I would rather eat sugar than artificial anything. Don't get me wrong, your advice is appropriate for someone with a real sweet tooth addiction. But to tell someone to consume artificial foods is partially the reason why we are not healthy and overweight.

I implore you and the OP to try to learn what kinds of natural foods there are first, before resorting to artificial chemicals/stimulants. Learn the foods nature gives us, and then if upon medical supervision (and those reasons better be darn good) try something man-made.

Usually, 1-2 servings of fruit is good to start with (a day). Fruit has more calories than vegetables, and is below starchy foods (potatoes, corn, butternut squash etc) so you can almost trade off fruit for these starchy foods. The problem is the sucrose. You are adding to your sugar with fruits. This is why I suggest carrot or celery sticks as snacks around the office. It's very low in calories and the celery will give you the salt you crave and the carrots will give you the sweetness but they won't destroy you in terms of calories.
  • Sezmo83
    Sezmo83 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem if I have cereal for breakfast, I end up over my sugar way too easily. I quite like scrambled egg for breakfast. Quick and easy to make and easy to dress up by putting a little ham or cheese or whatever in and doesn't mean I'm over my sugar for the day immediately after breakfast.
  • taem
    Options
    I have the same problem if I have cereal for breakfast, I end up over my sugar way too easily. I quite like scrambled egg for breakfast. Quick and easy to make and easy to dress up by putting a little ham or cheese or whatever in and doesn't mean I'm over my sugar for the day immediately after breakfast.

A great breakfast idea is oatmeal with chopped up fruit. Perhaps a sprinkle of raisins. Milk has a lot of sugar (lactose).
  • Sezmo83
    Sezmo83 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    A great breakfast idea is oatmeal with chopped up fruit. Perhaps a sprinkle of raisins. Milk has a lot of sugar (lactose).
    I love oatmeal with raisins, apple and a little cinnamon in. Unfortunately I've not managed to find any out here yet. I'm sure they do it, it's just that I've not found it on the shelves and I don't speak the language well enough yet to ask for it :laugh:

Well, I've found Ready Brek but it's not really the same.
  • ColleenB1980
    ColleenB1980 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    oh I really wish I liked oatmeal :(