How Often Do You Weigh-in?

Options
Ok, so I was basically wondering how often everyone checks in on the dreaded scale? and why?

Right now I've been weighing myself daily, mainly to keep focus. I don't freak out if I gain a pound, or if it takes several days for any change to happen, but I'm basically just starting my weight loss journey so the weight is coming off pretty quick anyway. I was sort of planing on going to every other day and than every third day once i've been working at this for a little while, say a month. What does everyone else think?

I know lots of resources suggest once a week, but I think it puts a lot of pressure on your weigh-in day and leaves six days without any pressure, so I find it easier to not follow my diet closely during those six days...

Replies

• sknopps
    sknopps Posts: 166
    Options
    i used to weigh in everyday, but i was driving myself crazy. i'm now switching to once a month (on the 1st) and taking measurements.
  • abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I have been doing it almost everyday, there are days I miss because of situations I can not control, but I try to be careful....
  • NyxDominique
    NyxDominique Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I offically weigh-in for the website once a week on friday. Right after I wake up.

Though I normally check the scale daily just to keep myself encouraged. Yet, some people feel defeated when they see a the 1-3 pd flucation daily. For me I go I want to see a certain number on the scale by friday so I push myself harder whenever the number goes higher.
  • girlypop
    Options
    I offically weigh-in for the website once a week on friday. Right after I wake up.

Though I normally check the scale daily just to keep myself encouraged. Yet, some people feel defeated when they see a the 1-3 pd flucation daily. For me I go I want to see a certain number on the scale by friday so I push myself harder whenever the number goes higher.

lol... I only log the number on the site if its lower... It helps encourage me....to keep working
  • eyemadreamer
    eyemadreamer Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Once a week for me.
  • juggalotus
    Options
    I do it once a week. The suspense kills me! I almost can't wait once a week lol. But when i was weighing in everyday, i was going nuts over gaining 2 pounds over night or 1 pound...ya know? So, i keep it down to once a week. But sometimes i cheat XD lol
  • AmerTunsi
    AmerTunsi Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh-in twice a day because I was neurotic and wanted to see the difference between the day and night made. Now I weight-in only in the mornings .. more to keep track and motivate myself- if I do the work and stay within my limits of food .. I see results and if I don't .. I see those results too!

When it comes to weigh-ins on MFP ... I do it once a week.
  • cricketannie
    cricketannie Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh in once a week. It keeps me from going crazy staring at numbers every day. (I do admit I cheat every once in a while when curiosity gets the best of me) But, really, I only use the scale as a means of making sure what I am doing is taking me in the right direction and I'm staying on track.
    Currently I am judging my weight loss on which of my old clothes I can fit back into. It's like I have a present for myself in my closet every time one of my once-too-tight pairs of pants fits me again. :)
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    strictly once a week. for my psyche's sake!
  • degobah
    degobah Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Every morning right when I wake up after visiting the bathroom. Except I dont weigh myself after a "cheat day" because the high sodium will make it seem like you gained 2-5 lbs as it retains tons of water weight. But in reality the most you can really gain is 1 lb after a cheat day.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I think you have to approach weighing in every day like you approach investing in the stock market...
    It has it's ups and down, but as long as it's going in the right direction overall no need to panic.
  • scv4414
    scv4414 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Every morning, first thing. I do it because if I don't, then it gets away from me. I don't freak out at weight gain though as it happens with hormone changes and water retention. I log my weight on here once a weekish.
  • Rebecca2u
    Rebecca2u Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Admittedly I am a scale junkie. I weigh 5-10 times a day! I get so frustrated with my scales, they tend to gain or loose 3-5 lbs in a matter of minutes. I find myself weighing three times in a row and taking an average. I probably need to have hubby hide the scales and let me have them once a week....but I know me, I'll find them and become a closet scale junkie lol
  • thisislarry
    thisislarry Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i try to weigh in once a day, and i try to do it at the same time every day, and make everything as same as possible. that way i can try to correlate bad habits (or good ones!) with results. I use the wii fit as my scale, it graphs my results over time so I can see how my 'speed' has changed as i've lost weight and plateaued.

My daily weight fluctuates within a couple pounds for no discernible reason, so i try not to freak out / get too excited simply comparing one day to the last. some days i get 'good results' and cant really explain why, some days I get 'bad' results. sometimes it takes a couple days for a binge to show up on my weight, some days i get by with a warning :)

some days I cheat and weigh myself when I'm dehydrated after a run, to see how low I can go....

now that i'm in maintenance, I'll only update in MFP if I'm seeing a trend over a week or so.
  • taurie
    taurie Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Every morning first thing. I expect fluctuations, so the changes don't drive me nuts. It helps me keep focused.
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Friday mornings. :-) I used to weigh every day but I found I didn't actually learn anything until the week was mostly over, and the anticipation is fun.
  • pipistrula
    Options
    Echo what most people have posted. Even from the day I started, I tried to not obsess over the scale (though, i will admit, at first it was AWESOME to weigh myself because I love to see the numbers go down!). Unfortunately, I was finding that to see them fluctuate was disappointing, especially when they'd go up, even if it was nothing more than water weight. I started doing it just once a week because what I ended up deciding was that I'd rather feel healthy that obsess over my weight, so I measure how I'm doing by whether my run today was better than 2 days ago, and whether it's considerably better than 2 weeks ago. I still weigh in sometimes to make sure that I'm all-around healthy, but I try to focus on other aspects of my health.
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    i check my weight every single morning but only log it on fridays. it doesn't drive me crazy to do it everyday bc i know they are just fluctuations and friday is the only number that matters.

i make friday my log in day bc i am hopeful it will make me accountable for weekends.. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt! haha but at least if i eat semi-poorly saturday and sunday i can sort of "make up for it" starting monday. every weekend is a struggle! :(