Cutting out tea (sugar), white bread

Options
Hi all, so I'm a re-starter. No shame in it. Bit I think the reason I have failed so many times is because when I start I cut out things I enjoy eg. Tea (because I take it with 2 sugars 🙄) and white bread. Do you think it's best to go cold turkey with things like this or to gradually cut it out?

Replies

• louise_gets_lean
    louise_gets_lean Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I think I just want to be so streamlined to start off....and I end up craving them and throwing the towel completely. (Overdramatic I know 🤣🤷) but those are good ideas. I'm gonna go with them
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I think that the only way to eliminate particular foods is to substitute a better choice. I am eating fresh raspberries, strawberries and blackberries as a snack instead of peanuts. Different, but not heinous. On the dinner menu, I have found lump crab meat, frozen lobster and shrimp an OK substitute for beef, even though I still eat beef. And, low calorie (70) flour tortilla instead of bread for sandwiches. (I put them direct on the gas burner until toasted on both sides). Having said that, most everything else is as it was, just less of it.

My last year:vcik28se4or0.jpg
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Could you try artificial sweeteners in your tea or reducing tthe amount of sugar - If you drink several cups per day that would help reduce your calories.

I'm trying to do that with my 2 c. of daily coffee, therefore substituting 2 tsp. of sugar. Artificial sweeteners just don't taste as good to me, in this capacity. I can use them in other ways but for some reason coffee just isn't the same. Is there 1 sweetener that tastes less fake than others? And the white bread thing....my dh buys an Italian bread that I love(too much) but as was suggested already, if I do cave I only have 1 slice of it.
    So I guess my advice is to try and modify your way of eating to include what you like so you don't feel like you're depriving yourself.
    I've also seen where a person uses 1 day a week to have some of their favorite foods(without going way off the mark), then hang tough again for the other 6 days.
    Good luck to you!! It's definitely a mind over matter journey.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,584 Member
    Options
    I'd either keep drinking it with sugar, slowly cut back to one, or switch to an alternative sweetener like stevia or monkfruit. I'm trying to cut back on stevia and have found it easier except for iced tea and coffee, but in hot teas it's easier. I drink a lot of tea of various varieties. My favorite cheap tea that doesn't need sweetener is Good Earth sweet and spicy. There's black and decaf. It makes great iced tea too, way better than Lipton. I don't like sweetener with herbal mint tea either like peppermint.
  • fdlewenstein
    fdlewenstein Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I love Good Earth tea, both hot and cold! I don't need any sweetener. Try cutting back in small amounts. Bread is a different issue. However, if you are staying within your allowed macros it shouldn't be an issue. You are sacrificing carbs in the bread with less carbs elsewhere. Explore a lower carb alternative. Don't be afraid to try new foods and/or brands. You might find an alternative you like. Most of all...measure, weigh, and log your food. Be consistent, but flexible.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    There's no need to punish yourself or cut out specific foods. Eat the food you like. Just make sure you track your calories to make sure the calories in stay lower than the calories out. You'll lose weight.