first day using this app, fairly confused

Options
This is my first day using this app, and I have logged my info thus far for the day. However, I am confused about the calories remaining. Does that mean I need to EAT 1669 more calories? That seems like way more food than I was already eating. like, an absurd amount more. How am I supposed to lose weight when it wants me to eat 1669 MORE calories? Thank you in advance for clarifying!

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,349 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    This is what it looks like for me:

fwjt0t4eehr2.png

The number on the right is how many calories I can still consume today.

In my case, this number is based on the smallest weight loss rate (the goal I have entered in my settings) and my gender, height, current weight,...

Have you entered all your settings and your goals?
  • H3lix86
    H3lix86 Posts: 4 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    This is what it looks like for me:

fwjt0t4eehr2.png

The number on the right is how many calories I can still consume today.

In my case, this number is based on the smallest weight loss rate (the goal I have entered in my settings) and my gender, height, current weight,...

Have you entered all your settings and your goals?

i've already put my height, weight, measurements, and goal weight. is there anything else? Granted i still havent eaten dinner yet, but that still wont be the remaining calories.
  • ninelivesblackcat
    ninelivesblackcat Posts: 2 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    It's saying that because you've worked out today. Some people use exercise calories to be able to consume more calories because your net calories will meet your goal. Others ignore the exercise calories because they're trying to lose weight and put in a deficit.

Turning off exercise calories is a feature of the premium app. I don't factor in exercise calories into what I need to eat each day; it's fairly confusing and I just want to focus on making my overall goal as far as food. I also often don't get enough exercise in so I don't want to get used to eating more calories when I've been fairly sedentary... Maybe once I'm trying to build muscle or something like that. I'm sure others have more qualified opinions, but that's what is happening; it's a bit of a confusing feature.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    You mentioned height, weight, goal weight. But have you entered your desired rate of loss?

Without knowing your gender, height or weight, I can only say that 1669 calories left doesn't sound like a crazy amount (provided you are logging accurately, using a food scale).

You mention not having eaten dinner yet. Having logged 284 calories for breakfast and lunch seems very low, if it's accurate.
  • ninelivesblackcat
    ninelivesblackcat Posts: 2 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Ah, sorry, I misunderstood. I thought the quoted post was the user sharing their own exercise stats.

ETA: Looks like the stats were posted earlier but now they're gone? OP can you post your stats?
  • H3lix86
    H3lix86 Posts: 4 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    @Lietchi i have it set to 2 pounds per week and I updated Cronometer but not my fitness pal, sorry. trying to get down to 165lbs (25bmi) according to BMI calculators that is a "healthy weight" for me. currently 229lbs 5'8, 33/m

@ninelivesblackcat sorry, i had to fix them.

ad9ig81jo70s.png

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    So yes, eat that 1391.
  • fatmaabdi1625
    fatmaabdi1625 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i am new to this program , i am confused do i have to plan the diet one day ahead or after the day finish i have to write down
  • fdlewenstein
    fdlewenstein Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I do not factor in exercise to the calorie amount (I turned off the exercise calorie function). I usually backward plan my meals so I can have a healthy dinner with my husband. I plan dinner and fill in the other meals. I try to reach my desired macros each day.
  • Pupnuzz
    Pupnuzz Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    You mentioned height, weight, goal weight. But have you entered your desired rate of loss?

Without knowing your gender, height or weight, I can only say that 1669 calories left doesn't sound like a crazy amount (provided you are logging accurately, using a food scale).

You mention not having eaten dinner yet. Having logged 284 calories for breakfast and lunch seems very low, if it's accurate.

Not the original poster but ...

Sometimes I'll only have about 70 calories for breakfast and lunch depending on the day. As I'll just have a soup that's very low calorie.

I'll also use my calories from exercise so I can have a snack if I'm on a particularly hungry day, but normally I come in about 500-700 under the daily goal of about 2010.

And I've lost about 4.3 kg so far 😊
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Pupnuzz wrote: »

Sometimes I'll only have about 70 calories for breakfast and lunch depending on the day. As I'll just have a soup that's very low calorie.

I'll also use my calories from exercise so I can have a snack if I'm on a particularly hungry day, but normally I come in about 500-700 under the daily goal of about 2010.

Consistently under eating isn't good. From time-to-time, it's not a big deal. But fast (aggressive) weight loss can result in a higher % of lean muscle loss. Moderate paced loss + resistance training + adequate protein can help reduce lean muscle loss (lower your body fat %).

There's also a higher risk of gallstones and a myriad of other health issues that can arise.
  • Pupnuzz
    Pupnuzz Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Pupnuzz wrote: »

Consistently under eating isn't good. From time-to-time, it's not a big deal. But fast (aggressive) weight loss can result in a higher % of lean muscle loss. Moderate paced loss + resistance training + adequate protein can help reduce lean muscle loss (lower your body fat %).

Yeah, but if I don't limit myself I'll just end up binging on food again. And then all my work is for nothing. In reality I probably average 1500-1800 calories a day. And I've gained a huge amount of muscle. So I'm doing something somewhere. I've never been one for patience 😅 I just can't lol. But yeah, those days were probably a bit extreme. I just don't wanna ruin all my work.