to much protein!

Options
does anyone know if you go over your protein allowance by a lot! is this a big issue??? Ive always thought Protein is a good thing !

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    protein is good, and mfp has it set fairly low, so i dont think there is any problem with going over.
  • Kipskiki
    Options
    what is considered alot? It depends on what kind of protein you eat (where it comes from) and how big you are. I always considered MFPs recommended intake is too low (for me) and I always exceed it.
  • selinaesme5
    Options
    well thats what I thought I also think they have the sugar set low? because as i mentioned on my previous post I have had milk and two carrots this morning and Ive only got like 5 to get to my target for sugar? which i think is a little mean!
  • selinaesme5
    Options
    well I had 85 instead of my 59 but all I had was chicken for lunch and dinner! with some nat yghrt ! and that was it !
    Im 170lbs
  • Kipskiki
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. Though if you eat alot of red meat (alot meaning to every meal) or you find yourself eating more than 155 g protein/day i would recommend cutting back.
  • bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    For me, as I am a "protein based" person (this means that I function and fill up better on protein rathern than carbs), there is no such thing as too much protein. If I eat high protein foods I eat less food and lose weight because of it.

I need to load carbs when I am training heavily (once I am back into my routine I will regulary burn 1,000 calories plus a day) but one of my secrets in weight loss is to eat protein rather than carbs.

Experiment with what works for you - you may find the same thing and are fuller longer on protein based foods. I have a friend who functions in the opposite way - she is hopeless with lots of protein and needs to eat a lot of good carbs (like vegetables) to stay on track. Learning about your body is part of the process here!
  • selinaesme5
    Options
    This is so true I am like you and do not belive I react well to carbs through pasta, rice, bread etc.. etc.. but protein does fill me up but suddenly saw this and thought could you have to much? but helps to talk these things through!
  • bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    This is so true I am like you and do not belive I react well to carbs through pasta, rice, bread etc.. etc.. but protein does fill me up but suddenly saw this and thought could you have to much? but helps to talk these things through!

I get all of my protein from wholefoods, fish, steak, legumes, chicken, dairy etc and try to keep it organic when I can.
    I easily eat more than my quantity of protein this way and haven't ever had to supplement it. I guess it is just what you can adapt to, but I don't believe in vitamins or supplements at all. I put value on the foods I eat instead so I dont need the added cost of buying supplements.
  • cassiopeia1975
    Options
    i was just about to ask a similar thing so thanks :)
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    hard to get enough protein? The you aint eating the right foods! haha.

I get 250 every day. 250.

and often i'll go over 300 on big workout days (2 workouts).

my carbs rarley get over 150 any more. and often on non-workout days, my fats will go well past the carbs.

its not unusual for me to get 100gm or protein in one meal. The joys of intermittent fasting!
  • sarahbeatty
    sarahbeatty Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Consuming 1.2 g/kg BW to 1.7 g/kg BW daily is recommended for strength athletes. The average person requires 0.8g/kg BW

*1 kilogram = 2.2046 pounds

So here is what I would need;

165lbs / 2.2046= 74.844 kg (divide your body weight by 2.2046 to find your weigh in kg)

1.2 X 74.844 = 89.81 (mulitiply g protein X kg body weight to determine how much protein)

As an athelete (I choose the lower end of the spectrum since I am a woman, and I am not training for a pro sport or marathon) I require approximatly 90 g protein per day.

here is the link to the info- I know its second hand, but this is from a local forum hosted by a local weight trainer/body builder in our town... http://www.godubois.com/cgi-bin/blah/index.cgi?m-1310404384/