ISO: Low-iron freezer meal ideas

Options
A relative of mine is having surgery soon and has to eat a low iron diet. I’d like to bring over some easy to reheat meals for the month they’ll be recovering from surgery. The family is simultaneously adventurous and a little picky. For example, they love different ethnic foods from restaurants, but don’t much care for home-cooked versions, and they’re ok with vegetarian meals, but only from Indian restaurants—that is, they don’t like vegetarian food of any other ethnicity. And the one that I really don’t understand—they don’t think soup can ever be a main dish. Other members of the family are diabetic, so in a perfect world the dishes would fit that, too.

Is my best bet a chicken chili and a doordash gift certificate?

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    It seems like between the medical issues and the family's food preferences, you've got a lot of restrictions to take into consideration. Maybe just asking the relative facing surgery what food would be appreciated is your best bet? (If you're trying to make this a surprise, I don't recommend it, unless you're absolutely sure they've got plenty of freezer space to spare -- and even then, what if someone else had the same idea?)
  • BecomingMoreAwesome
    BecomingMoreAwesome Posts: 150 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    It seems like between the medical issues and the family's food preferences, you've got a lot of restrictions to take into consideration. Maybe just asking the relative facing surgery what food would be appreciated is your best bet? (If you're trying to make this a surprise, I don't recommend it, unless you're absolutely sure they've got plenty of freezer space to spare -- and even then, what if someone else had the same idea?)

I think you’re right. I’m trying to avoid being the “I’m here to help you, but I need you to do half the work” person, but I may be over correcting. :)

I’ll also be at their house taking care of their kid while they’re in the hospital, which gives me time to stock their fridge with things I know they like, and their kid is old enough to tell me their regular groceries.