Workout routine- help!

Options
Hey all, my fitness goal right now is to lose weight, with some muscle toning here and there. However, every time I go to the gym I don’t know what to do! I end up doing the same thing all the time- wall on treadmill, get on the bike, and stair master. Should I do that every day? Or should I switch it up? I do have body boss, so should I just follow that?? Can someone give me an example of their workout routine (for weight loss)? Thanks!

Replies

• naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    There are so many workouts to choose from. I can give you an example of what I did today (adapted from a workout with my PT last week).
    Three rounds of each set ie set of paired exercises:

Warm up on cross trainer then:
    A Tyre flips
    B Box jumps x 20

A Walking lunges holding two kettle bells
    B Mountain climbers (fast for 30 seconds)

A Push ups (as many as possible)
    B Pull ups (as many as possible)

Row for 1 km / 4 minutes

Plank for 1 minute

Stretch

Finish with 30 minutes on the stair mill.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    "Toning" is a combination of loosing fat & gaining muscle. I would follow a program like Starting Strength - It's a good beginer's weight traing program, get some intruction on how to do the lifts. Eat at mantainence cals, get sufficient protien and eat veggies, and you should see progress. You will controll your weight up or down with the cals, the weight training is to keep (or grow ) your muscle.
    What is your height & weight now?
  • SaraiF
    SaraiF Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Currently I am 194 pounds and am 5’3”. I work full time and am a full time mom to 2 girls. On weekends I can’t go to the gym because my bf works weekends until late.
  • ByFaith4Life4Christ
    Options
    Labrada Nutrition has a challenge that starts in January. (Will not be on the first) it’s free to sign up and usually can be done at home or gym.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    SaraiF wrote: »
    Currently I am 194 pounds and am 5’3”. I work full time and am a full time mom to 2 girls. On weekends I can’t go to the gym because my bf works weekends until late.

OK Set your cals on MFP for a 1 lb/week weight loss - try for 125 gm protien per day - 40 gms fat per day - fill in the rest with whatever - include lots of veggies , different colors, & some fruit, potatoes or rice. take fish oil caps. Weigh yourself once a week under the same conditions, same time. Run this for a month or so before making any cal adjustments, then adjust up or down as needed
    Try for doing the Starting Strength 3X week, and on the weekends go outside & run around with your girls
    Do this for a few months & you will be surprised
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    You should have some strength training in your routine. Studies are pretty clear that cardio isn't effective for changing body composition. Cardio is great for healthy hearts and lungs but it doesn't tend to be effective in changing body's positively. People that focus too much on cardio while losing weight end up skinny fat which actually looks worse than just being over weight.

The best method to changing looks and getting healthy is to lift weights and do 20 minutes of light cardio a day. High protein diets are essential as well. Don't worry, you won't look like a man if you lift, you don't have the proper hormone levels for that to happen. Lifting weights will help get rid of bat wings (on back of the arms), tighten up butts and build it up(in those that need it), make your legs strong and lean, perk up your chest and make your curves stand out more.

Also, for women lifting weights is particularly good for health. Studies show that as we age the ability to stand up out of sitting position on the floor and grip strength are two very important metrics in long life. The stronger your legs are the more mobile you are and the longer you will stay mobile. Mobility is the key to long life. Also, lifting weights increases bone density which is particularly problematic in old age. Between being stronger (thus better balance) and better bone density will mean much lower chances of breaking a hip (or other bones) in a fall which can often end elderly people's lives early.

If you are not experienced with lifting weights I would suggest hiring a trainer to show you proper technique. Even a couple of weeks and just ask them to show you how to lift would be good enough to get started. If you can't hire a trainer then try doing either Starting Strength or New Rules for Lifting (for Women). Watch youtube videos to get an idea of techniques, start with just the bar until you get a feel for the balance and motion.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    A) Pony up for personal training. B) Fitness classes at the gym. C) YouTube or other video routine.

For free, Popsugar fitness on youtube is pretty good, but either other option is better.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    When I first started losing weight and exercising, I bought 30 day shred and followed it with ripped in 30. I also borrowed a few DVDs from the library: the firm super cardio mix, the firm cardio sculpt blaster and calorie killer, and Denise Austin body boot camp. All of these workouts mix cardio and strength, either with dumbbells body weight or both. I started with 3lb hand weights and slowly increased to 7 or 8lb when I could. I also cut calories to about 1350-1600(I'm also 5'3"). I lost weight quickly this way and was pretty toned at the end.
    There are a lot of videos out there to try. I had fun trying a bunch and finding what I liked enough to keep going. I ended up learning to lift heavy free weights, but I started with the DVDs and light hand weights.