how much do you burn in the gym?

Options
So, for the first time in a long time I went to the gym this morning! I know how unfit I am and have a lot of trouble with my legs but I'm a bit disaapointed knowing I only burned 326 calories in one hour! :( I know these things take time and I'll be able to up my workouts when I'm a bit fitter, and I'll also meet with a trainer to get a proper routine set out for myself!

So my questions is how much do you burn? How long are you at the gym for? What workouts do you do?:)

Replies

• ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Depending on your fitness level and what your doing you should aim for 400-500 calories in 60 min.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i dont go to they gym, but my work outs at home are usually between 30 - 50 minutes and i burn between 2-300 cals a go.

the thing is everyone burns a different amount of cals depending on their weight anyway, so its a little difficult to compare, but if you have worked as hard as you could for the whole hour, then its a great burn!
  • RGPargy
    RGPargy Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Hi Beanie :)

It all depends on what exercise i am doing as to how many calories i burn! Generally if I'm doing an hour's Body Pump class I will burn between 350 and 400 calories, but if I do cardio before I do Pump, it will be more. For instance sometimes I do a step class for an hour before Pump and I will burn anywhere between 400 and 500 calories in the step class and then the additional 350-400 pump calories too.

It's different for everyone tho so you cant really say that this is what you will burn in an hour or two!

Hope that helps!
  • chriscleary
    Options
    try to change up the routine,or it gets boring and you stop losing. I walk three days a week, zumba once a week and go to the gym twice a week. Keeps your body guessing, Idont have a personal trainer. If you lose it slowly it will stay off !!! keep up the goood work!!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    how do you gauge yourself?? probably the best way to know how much you burned is with a personal heart rate monitor. the calorie counter on the machines aren't good, and the estimates on this website aren't perfect either.

did you lift or do cardio?? i'll burn about 400 calories in a high intensity circuit training, but on an hour bike ride i'll burn close to 1300.
  • deisha
    deisha Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Have you tried group classes? I tend to burn more in these then when I am on my own in the gym.
    When I do spinning I burn 400 in an hour. (this is an estimate as I don't have an HRM)
    I did 30 minutes aerobics and burnt 220.
  • SetecAstronomy
    SetecAstronomy Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    So, for the first time in a long time I went to the gym this morning! I know how unfit I am and have a lot of trouble with my legs but I'm a bit disaapointed knowing I only burned 326 calories in one hour! :( I know these things take time and I'll be able to up my workouts when I'm a bit fitter, and I'll also meet with a trainer to get a proper routine set out for myself!

So my questions is how much do you burn? How long are you at the gym for? What workouts do you do?:)
    My goal is to burn over 800 per session on the treadmill. There are many, many variables at play, including (but not limited to) age, current weight, how long you work out, and your heart rate during the workout. I was advised by an exercise consultant to focus on cardio and break a sweat.

Right now my routine is a 5-minute warm-up at 3.3mph, 45 minutes at 4.1mph, and a 5-minunte cool-down at 3.3mph, using the "variety" setting on the treadmill (which raises and lowers the incline at set intervals, different each time). After the warm-up I bump up the incline to at least 4.0 and try not to have the incline higher than 10.0 at any point in the routine--anything higher and it starts hurting my lower back.
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    over 300 in one hour is really good. Dont beat yourself up thinking that you need to burn a zillion. The main point is to get moving. Different excerises, depending what you do for example, running gets your heart going and therefore you burn more calories, Weight lifing burns less but both still important excerises. Circuit training gives you a bit of both worlds.
  • jetsec
    Options
    If I go by the calories burnt on the machines it's a lot less than my HRM says, if you haven't already, I'd invest in a HRM so your burn rate is more precise. I burn between 460 - 600 during a 60 minute session depending on which machines I'm using.

Jayne
  • rob504
    Options
    I spend between 2 and 3 hours 3 times per week in the Gym. My usual routine is strength training for 20 mins. 30 mins on the bike, treadmill, and elliptical trainer, finishing on the rower for 10 mins. Sometimes if feeling tired I will drop one of the afore-mentioned machines. Usually burning around 1000 calories per session. I rest every other day in between when I limit myself to a simple walk.
    You will obviously realise I have available time which most people don't have available to them. I am always in awe of mothers of young children who manage to find time to work out.
    Oh, I forgot to say I cycle to and from the gym.
  • jdarcy9
    jdarcy9 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I usually go to Zumba Fitness, and each time I burn around 800-1000 calories in 60 minutes. However, I have recently gotten on the elliptical and ran (and I do mean "ran") for 25 mins and only burned around 300 cals. So I totally understand why you are questioning. Give Zumba a try though- it's a full body workout and so much fun! :heart:
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    To all of the previous posters:

I feel horrible. I wear a HRM and love to Zumba. But, the most I have ever burned in one hour is 275 calories. This is working it hard. You know...heart rate up and sweating like crazy.
  • BeanieB21
    Options
    my fitness level right now is zero!:tongue:

what i did today was ;
    20mins on the threadmill at 3.8mph ( I'm short so thats as fast as my little legs will go without running haha)
    15mins on the stationary bike
    10mins on the cross trainer
    10mins weight ( just dumbells for my arms)
    5mins on the rowing machine

I switch it up so often to give my legs a chance to not get too sore ( sore = pain = me crippled for a few weeks)

Im not making excuses but I do have a lot of pain with my legs so I was told not to run for a while by my physio :(

should I do more of one thing and cut out another?
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    You may want to alternate days....cardio (treadmill, bike, cross trainer and rowing), every other day. Then use the weights on the other days. This way you are giving your muscles a break of one day between using the dumbells.
  • rob504
    Options
    How long have you been going to the gym?
    I personally would spend longer on the X trainer if you're struggling on the treadmill. Aim to do 30 mins at interval setting, you should burn 300 cals by doing this. As with the bike it's easy just to plod along, avoid this. Work at interval for 30 mins plus 5 mins cool down and again you should burn 300 cals. Hope this helps and good luck.
  • shelleycolton
    shelleycolton Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    There's loads of information on here, I go to the gym 2/3 times a week, I get the calories burned off the machine (waiting for my b'day pressie). I think you'll need to workout what your fitness goals are burn calories, improve heart rate etc, as I have noticed a bit difference when I have moved to wanting to learn jog/run, before I was all about burn the most calories.

Cardio was 35mins on Wave Excite (best cal burner ever),
    10mins on Treadmill (walking 5.5kph on 5% incline) or Cross Trainer,
    5mins on Stepper L1,
    60xAb Crunchs (17.5Kg),
    45xLeg Press (40kg weights)
    45xArm Pulls (27.5kg weights)
    5min on Arm Excite (cardio for arms)
    10min Rowing
    If I did that I would be between 600 and 700 cals.

I have noticed a really big drop in calories since I've started couch 2 5k, that takes 35mins, still do the weights as before, but the wave and rowing has been dropped, last night its was 346kcals.

Hope it helps,
  • BeanieB21
    Options
    um how about this is day one?

i went at the start of the year but due to leg problems i had to stop, but im offically back on the band wagon again! I walk 2 -3 time a week also, but not for that long, 30 mins usually!

Thanks for all the suggestions :)