Healthy Baking #2 - Carrot Cake Flapjacks!

Options
Tabby1980
Tabby1980 Posts: 75 Member
d2925214.jpg

e33d4431.jpg

So in the never ending quest to satisfy my sweet tooth and baking addiction I have invented these deeeeeeeeelicious flapjacks, not the lowest fat recipe ever but full of 'healthy' calories from seeds and oats :D They are super easy peasy, so a great thing to bake with your kids and go fantastically with a cup of tea :p
Melt the butter,sugar and syrup over a low heat while you get the other ingredients ready, then mix everything else in - it's that simple! Then pop into a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper and bake for about 20 minutes at 180c. Leave to cool and then cut into pieces. My tin was a bit too small so I put the left over mixture in cupcake cases, you could do them all like that if you wanted! Also I used jumbo oats which gives a crumblier finish, normal porridge oats will give a more solid 'bar'. Again you could tweak for less calories by substituting the sugar for Splenda, the butter for low fat spread, or simply by making smaller portions. Oh and I sometimes add a grated apple but I didn't have one today. Enjoy!

Replies

• MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Mmm... look yummy!
  • CatClark
    CatClark Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for going to the trouble of posting this - I was looking for a nice flapjack recipe, as me and my boyfriend are taking a long train journey soon and I wanted to pack some as healthy snacks!
  • Heather3186
    Options
    these look delicious! thanks for posting!
  • Tabby1980
    Options
    You're welcome :) I will say if you use jumbo oats the ones in the cupcake cases would pobably transport better on a journey or you can bake them a bit longer to make them crisper :D
  • robinso5
    robinso5 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Hey there Tabby! since you are the baking Queen! can you give me a recipe for some peanut butter and oatmeal bars? I love them but they are usually made with sweetened condensed milk and that is fattening just thinking that name! If you can please help me! i dont really like sweet-sweets but i do like yummy chewy bars!!!!!!!!!!!! and I LOVE LOVE LOVE peanut butter!
  • Tabby1980
    Options
    Hmm I've never made those Robinso but I'll have a look into it - give me a few days to experiment and I shall endeavour to make them my number 3 MFP recipe :D
    p.s. - loving being called the baking queen! :)
  • Tabby1980
    Options
    bumpity bump ;)
  • Furbuster
    Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Hi

I did these today and they smell DIVINE. I modified the original recipe by doubling up on ingredients, changing the veg, added nuts,ginger and removing the sugar altogether (I prefer to add more fruit). Breakfast bars for the next week sorted for the house!

Number of servings
    Serves 30 people
    Ingredients
    Tesco - Value Porridge Oats 600 g
    Lurpak - Lightest Spreadable, 200
    Peanuts - All types, raw, 50 g
    Tesco Whole Foods - Sunflower Seeds
    Tesco - Value Dried Mixed Fruit, 150 g
    the Ginger People - Minced Ginger, 2 tsp
    Loose - Courgette, 2 Courgettes
    Tesco Value - Golden Syrup, 6 tablespoon

Per Serving: 147 cals 20 carbs 6 Fat 4 Protein 2 Fiber 33 Sodium