Ankle pain during and after jogging.......

Options
So I just started to jog on our hike and bike trail, it has been a goal of mine to be able to jog this massive circle and since i have lost some weight and been doing okay on the treadmill i wanted to go outside and try the trails out. Well, the first couple of times have been really nice with little or no pain. Then yesterday when I started out it felt like I had ankle weights on my feet and it made it really hard to jog or even walk at a fast pace. This is soooo frustrating because I am already having to baby a large naroma in my foot and now for my ankles to act up is just too much! UGH!!!

I am at a loss ..... have any of you guys/gals ever experience this? :grumble:

Replies

• Snakey74
    Snakey74 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Go to the doctor and get it checked. I had ankle pain and found out I had a severe osteochondral defect. Wear braces if you're not already! Hope things get better!
  • mashanda
    mashanda Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Try icing your joints after you run. U can buy the ice packs that have the holder with the velcro strap so you can wrap it around your ankles and knees.
  • wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    Options
    I started running on the treadmill in the gym and after 3-4 weeks, I got ankle pain which led to swelling/bruising. Turns out I pulled a ligament in my lower calf and this ran down to my ankles. Haven't ran in 3 weeks or more.

Go get it checked out before you run on it again. You don't want to do anymore damage and it could be nothing/something.
  • maniv01
    maniv01 Posts: 12
    Options
    Hi!

I have the same problem with I first started my training for a half. I think my soreness/pain come from running up/down hills. I think try to control/strain my movement too much. My co-worker, a personal trainer, written a weight training program for me to do on top of my run. He added a ankle rotation workout for every run and lower body sessions. He said it exercises the joint in your lower legs and ankle area that we normally forget stretch. Try this exercise, it might help a little bit.
    -Sit on the floor or bench where you can support your weight.
    -lift both legs or one at time.
    -rotate both sides 25X
    if you get popping in the ankle(s) it's ok, sometime it actual releases the tightness.

hope this help.
  • Kelleyrh5
    Kelleyrh5 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Great help! Thanks everyone, i will try those exercises tonight mani and hopefully that will help. This is crazy it just feels like i am walking around with weights on my ankles so maybe some extra stretching will help. If not then back to the foot doc I go. :wink:
  • CaitlinMyers428
    CaitlinMyers428 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I've been having soreness/pain after jogging. It's only on my left foot on the inside of my ankle. I just started icing it today. I hope it helps.
  • Kelleyrh5
    Kelleyrh5 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    So I stayed off my feet on Tuesday and then last night i decided to see if running on the treadmill would have the same affect as the outside track. Yep! Sure did! I fought it through and did 30min of walking and jogging and let me tell you my ankles hurt so bad that the pain went up the inside of my legs to my knees!!!!! I could hardly walk when i was done, and they just hurt all night long. So, i think i am calling the doc today, this is sooo discouraging since i am trying to increase my cardio and have a goal of running for longer than 2min! UGH!!!!
  • BeanieB21
    Options
    try icing after runs and lots and lots of stretching!

i have a lot of issues with my ankles/knees and the stretching does help!