Surviving the holidays

Hi all, I started using MFP in the beggining of December and was really hyped, now 20 days later I've already lost 2 kg. but I find it extremely hard to stick to the calorie diet when everywhere I turn there's food. I'm going to a New Year's party and I fear I'll slip and all my progress up to now will be lost. What do you guys do to survive the holidays?

Replies

• bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Don't eat or drink things you don't enjoy. Be more mindul of the number of bites, use a plate instead of hovering at the bowl of chip n dip or plate of cookies. Don't deprive yourself, but also think about how much progress you've already made. It took you 20 days to drop thos pounds, one day can't ruin it. Get back on the bandwagon on Jan 1.
    Happy new year!
  • teardrop40
    teardrop40 Posts: 11 Member
    Thanks a lot for your comment, bebeisfit. A little reassurance was just the right thing to put my head back in the game.
    Happy New Year to you too! :smile:
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I like to plan ahead for high calorie events by cutting out other calories in the day...so making a lower calorie lunch and either skipping snacks or keeping those super low calorie...then I just try to be reasonable at whatever the event is...for me that means just eating pretty normal with the food portion and only having a few small bites of dessert...sweets are my downfall, but if I can control those, then I'm good if I'm driving and not drinking...alcohol is also my downfall, but for this season I volunteered to be DD for most events so that I knew I wouldn't drink much (if at all).
  • exhilen
    exhilen Posts: 43 Member
    Understanding that this isn’t a daily occurrence, so it’s okay to indulge here and there within reason. There’s no reason not to enjoy the holidays as long as it’s within moderation.

Restricting too much may cause the opposite effect, such as binging or burnout.
  • koalathebear
    koalathebear Posts: 236 Member
    December was a tough month for me generally because of all the extra social functions and food. I did extra exercise to offset but still gained because I was still eating a lot more than I usually do. I had fun though, the food was good so I regret nothing. I'm now back into my normal routine and definitely not beating myself up :) The weight loss / fitness journey is one with lots of steps forwards, backwards and sideways :)