Counting calories for sweets

Options
I was wondering: if, for example, I eat a cake with high sugar or fat content, but it still fits my calories and doesn't exceed it, would it still lead to bloating/weight gain over time?

Replies

• kbk1335
    kbk1335 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    This is just hypothetical haha someone please explain the science to me.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Nope, it's calories in vs calories out, so in terms of weight, so long as you're not exceeding your daily calorie intake you won't gain.

Nutritionally, depending on your calorie needs, eating cake every day may leave you with too few calories to meet your nutritional requirements. You may also be hungry from lack of volume, and end up overeating. And obviously, eating just cake is a terrible idea nutritionally. It's absolutely fine to have treats if they fit your calories, though :)
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    If you are still under the calories you need for maintenance you will not gain any fat. However, if you consume more carbs than usual, more salt then usual, or that type of food normally causes you to be bloated you may retain some water which may look like you have gained weight but this is only just water and not fat. You will lose this additional water over the coming days if this is the case.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    What the others said.

Am I the only one who sees a water weight drop the morning after eating a large carb/fat dessert (slice of cake, bakery brownie, etc)? I only have these occasionally, but each time the scale is lower the next morning.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Bloating and weight gain, yes possibly, fat gain, nope.

Water retention can take a little time to clear out if you're eating more carbs/sodium than normal and/or if you have any intolerance to something in the cake, but if you're consistently eating maintenance or below you won't gain fat.

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    What the others said.

Am I the only one who sees a water weight drop the morning after eating a large carb/fat dessert (slice of cake, bakery brownie, etc)? I only have these occasionally, but each time the scale is lower the next morning.

I tend to drop weight the day after but that's usually on account of the fibre, I retain water the following day though, for 1-3 days normally.
  • quemalosuerte
    quemalosuerte Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    What the others said.

I notice that when My husband and I splurge on Mexican food (margaritas, chips, dip, guac, queso, plus entrees) I am usually down the next morning, but slightly elevated the next 1-2 days. I think it is an initial dehydration followed by water retention to correct the dehydration.

That’s only a hypothesis, though.