Banana calories

Options
Hi
I was wondering there are so many differant calories posted for the banana which is the correct calorie content for a banana?
thanks
Julie

Replies

• spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on size but for an average sized banana most things I've looked at say around 100 calories.
  • IggyL
    IggyL Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I use this site to see which is accurate:

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/
  • 1965blaze
    Options
    Thank You !
  • Dennistg99
    Dennistg99 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    That's a great question. The one I've been using is the Chiquita medium banana and it's 110 calories. I've seen another report for 105 so I use the higher one. Good luck.
  • springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I've always been told a small one is 100 calories, medium about 110, and large between 120-130.
  • olso123
    olso123 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    bump
  • EMc4452
    EMc4452 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    It also depends on how ripe the banana is. The more ripe, the higher the calorie content. I would just assume around 110 and not worry about the variations to much.
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    It also depends on how ripe the banana is. The more ripe, the higher the calorie content. I would just assume around 110 and not worry about the variations to much.

I was wondering about this as I ate a banana with my breakfast thismorning.
  • lolainlondon
    lolainlondon Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    The more ripe, the higher the calorie content.

That's a myth. It just tastes sweeter because more of the starch turns to sugar.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Whenever you eat fruit or veggies the best thing is to look for the main entry in the database, not any of the ones added by users. Add "raw" to the end and you'll find the main one.

However, I did notice the main one for skim milk is wrong, it says it doesn't have any carbs.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    The more ripe, the higher the calorie content.

That's a myth. It just tastes sweeter because more of the starch turns to sugar.
    not more calories, more carbs because of the GI factor when fruit ripens. GI = Glycemic Index