15lbs to lose in 6.5 months

Options
Hey y’all, So I just had my son about a year and a half ago. I went from 130lbs at 5’2” to 165lbs 1.5 year post partum, I cut out soda cold turkey I use to drink 5/6 cokes a day. I’m also currently taking water pills as ever since my pregnancy I retain ALOT of water. I also use to NEVER drink water. I hate it. But this past month after stopping soda I make sure to drink at least 1.5/2 liters a day. I’ve lost 11.2lbs since September and I’m at 153lbs. I’m still not happy, my husband is taking me to California for our anniversary in July and I want to lose another 15lbs by then. My problem is I can’t go to the gym, I’m a stay at home mom with my 1.5 year old son and work from home. I just bought a sunny health fitness indoor cycling bike as I LOVE riding and plan on buying an outdoor bike and cart so I can take my son on bike rides. I plan on at least riding an hour a day on my indoor bike.
I need tips, advice and motivation.
What are some other exercises I can do in home to help with the weight loss, advice on how to get on track to eating healthier (we eat fast food a lot because I never know what to cook) and just motivation on helping me with my goal!

My apologies as this post is a little all over the place. I’m posting a picture of what I currently look like at 153lbs. It’s gross I know... that’s why I’m here.

Replies

• hayleywarnken12
    hayleywarnken12 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Should I be weighing my food? How do I go about doing that
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I am similar height to you (5’1”) and my starting weight almost 2 years ago was around 175 lbs. My current weight is 132.5. On our shorter frames even just a few pounds makes a visible difference. Given that you mention your diet currently includes a lot of fast food, I’d recommend starting there. You certainly can eat fast food if you like but may find it hard to regularly fit into your calorie budget. I’ve found that eating more fruit and veggies helps me stay within my calories easier. Weighing your food is certainly the most accurate way to track your calories. But if you don’t currently have a kitchen scale you might find that measuring by volume is better than not tracking at all. You might consider starting by looking up recipes for lighter versions of your favorite fast food choices. Including extra protein often helps you feel more full and may help retain some of the muscle you’ll likely lose while losing weight.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Instapot and Crockpot are amazing tools and you can find tons of recipes on Pinterest! Find a handful of recipes you like and rotate through them based on the local grocery sales. If you meal plan for the week it will make sticking to your and your family's homemade meals much easier.

Bodyweight exercises are a good place to start if you're looking to add noncardio work. You can also see if your local gym provides childcare! Running/walking with a stroller is another suggestion.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Instapot and Crockpot are amazing tools and you can find tons of recipes on Pinterest! Find a handful of recipes you like and rotate through them based on the local grocery sales. If you meal plan for the week it will make sticking to your and your family's homemade meals much easier.

Bodyweight exercises are a good place to start if you're looking to add noncardio work. You can also see if your local gym provides childcare! Running/walking with a stroller is another suggestion.

I love my slow cooker this time of year! At lunchtime I prep and add everything to the crock pot and it is done at dinner time.

Here is a wide selection of slow cooker recipes, and you can also subscribe to receive them by email: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipes/253/everyday-cooking/slow-cooker/

When it's warmer, my OH grills a protein and I make the starches and veggies, often an entree size salad.
  • jconnelly103
    jconnelly103 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Check and see if you have a local Stroller Strides community. You work out with your baby in a supportive environment. It's the only way I've been about to successfully work out as a mom.
  • cathyloufit
    cathyloufit Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    There is a program called Studio Sweat on Demand. It has online spin classes, yoga, weights all kinds of things. You could do a lot of different exercises at home with that. they have an extensive Online library. I use it primarily for spin class at home (I have a Sunny spin bike also. )
  • hayleywarnken12
    Options
    There is a program called Studio Sweat on Demand. It has online spin classes, yoga, weights all kinds of things. You could do a lot of different exercises at home with that. they have an extensive Online library. I use it primarily for spin class at home (I have a Sunny spin bike also. )

Thank you!
  • Mom4diet
    Mom4diet Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    we eat fast food a lot because I never know what to cook)

Try to just start with supper. Think of a protein, veg, and starch per meal. Less starch than protein and veg.
    So...
    For my family that would look something like:
    Chicken, broccoli, brown rice
    Salmon, string beans, yams

I am not perfect at all. Many nights are goods like frozen pizza, or pancakes, or macaroni and cheese.

I feel good about myself when I have a balanced supper.

And of course, portion control! All those foods have calories! :)

You can do it!
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Same boat here! Goal is to lose 15 lbs and be 127 around early June for a college reunion! I gained after some family stress and an injury and now getting back on track. Food scale is a game changer. I resisted thinking I didn’t need to go that far - and Lordy Lordy! - the things I learned!

For motivation, I have a pair of size 4 pants I try on weekly. I’ve committed to training three- four times a week and walking and taking stairs whenever I can. Even at home, I try to increase my NEAT and squat while waiting for something to cook, leg lifts while ironing, ANYTHING to add to my calorie burn but your diet will be the main thing.

I also try to fill my plate with veggies and use meat as a garnish I still have fast food but may eat half a bun of a burger or 4 fries instead of a serving. I’ve also gotten good at not bringing in food in the house that I know I have trouble controlling - chips, cookies, ice cream.

Wishing us both luck - but it’s discipline that’s gonna get us to our goal!!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I workout at home every morning, first thing. I had a lot of success with Jillian Michaels, The Firm, and recently Amy Bento Ross and Kelly Coffey Meyer.
    A digital kitchen scale helps with food portion. I base my meals on lean protein and veggies.
  • hayleywarnken12
    Options
    Thanks everyone, any tips on weighing food? I’ve never done it before