Depression and weight loss

Options
How do you deal with depression while trying to lose weight? I started 2019 great and lost around 40 pounds but I lost my job in August and have been very depressed ever since. I live in a small town and even though i have a college degree it's still very hard to find a job. Over the past few,months I've completly fallen off track and have gained a large part of my weight back as a result of stress eating and not working out like I had been before. I want to get back on track for the new year but I'm not sure how to keep my depression from holding me back.

Replies

• Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    Options
    I am sorry to hear that you are going through this. Loosing ones job is hard enough to handle. Not being able to find one on top of that with a college degree is a whole other ball of wax that has to be extremely hard as we are all preached to get a degree to find a job and put the hard work and effort into the degree and get can't find one.
    I have no advice as to how you can regain control of your life but feel you will in time as this post implies that you are self aware and that you aren't giving up and aren't accepting this as your destiny. It may not be today or tomorrow but you will overcome this.
    But am curious if have you had the opportunity to talk to someone about this?
  • Jenna__XoXo
    Jenna__XoXo Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Tankiscool wrote: »
    I am sorry to hear that you are going through this. Loosing ones job is hard enough to handle. Not being able to find one on top of that with a college degree is a whole other ball of wax that has to be extremely hard as we are all preached to get a degree to find a job and put the hard work and effort into the degree and get can't find one.
    I have no advice as to how you can regain control of your life but feel you will in time as this post implies that you are self aware and that you aren't giving up and aren't accepting this as your destiny. It may not be today or tomorrow but you will overcome this.
    But am curious if have you had the opportunity to talk to someone about this?

Thank you... I know this won't last forever but I don't want it to get worse. No, I haven't been able to talk to anyone about this.
  • quemalosuerte
    quemalosuerte Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I’m sorry about the job loss and difficulty finding a new job. Over the past 7 years, I have found medication and/or therapy to be very helpful with living with depression/anxiety and being able to live the life you want. Of course, if you are US based, these things can be tough to access even with a job that has good benefits.

That being said, setting up routines for yourself that include things like: take a shower, get dressed, leave the house for something can help get through some depression symptoms. I try to go outside at least once per day, even if it is just taking out the trash, to get fresh air and vitamin D. And physical activity can cause your brain to release endorphins, which can temporarily reduce some depression/anxiety symptoms.

I am not a mental health expert. Just sharing what I have learned that can be helpful to me in my particular situation.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that, I've been in that position and it really sucks.

One of the things that makes it difficult is the lack of control, you try and don't get anywhere so have to deal with the rejection constantly.

What can be helpful is to start learning something new and set a goal. It might be running, knitting, learning French, whatever. The point is you are in charge of that process and can see the progress you make. It gives another focus and when you achieve it you feel good about it. It also works as a distraction so it feels like there is more to do than just eat.

It has helped me in the past, so it might be worth a try.
  • jpearson1289
    jpearson1289 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your struggle. I have depression, fibromyalgia, and 2019 was a rough year for my depression. I also gained back a portion of weight I had previously lost. What seems to help me is to find support and to talk about it. To set obtainable goals and to have real support In reaching them. Even hitting small goals seem to help me tremendously so I like to set small goals within my larger ones to celebrate. Medication and therapy are great resource as well. I also like the idea of routines because they can help you when you have a particularly bad day. I find using this app alot helps me because I've been able to connect with people who understand what I'm going through.
  • imabeevampire
    imabeevampire Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    How do you deal with depression while trying to lose weight? I started 2019 great and lost around 40 pounds but I lost my job in August and have been very depressed ever since. I live in a small town and even though i have a college degree it's still very hard to find a job. Over the past few,months I've completly fallen off track and have gained a large part of my weight back as a result of stress eating and not working out like I had been before. I want to get back on track for the new year but I'm not sure how to keep my depression from holding me back.

I understand COMPLETELY. I also lost my job this year in October and felt like nothing was worth getting up for.
    It's hard but keep giving yourself a reason to go for a walk, go to the gym or exercise as it really will help you feel better.
    Plaster a wall with motivational quotes, keep a diary and acknowledge your bad days and don't be mad at yourself for a bad day. 💜
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Depression and weight gain is very common. My father died and I gained 8 kg and delayed my weight loss for a minimum of 18 months. Weight gain can cause depression too, it's a vicious cycle. I recall the doctor for The Biggest Loser wrote a weight loss book, he said that over half of participants were on antidepressants.

As for what to do, unfortunately everybody needs something different. I've found stopping refined sugar intake has helped immensely, but that's not for everyone.