Would you consider Chipotle healthy?

Options
I get the steak bowl load it up with vegs and only eat half in one sitting.

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Years back, my employer made us come in on Saturdays for part days. But they'd buy us lunch, which was often Chipotles. However, we'd spend 30 minutes or so discussing lunch, then eating lunch together, then in a food coma. So they really only got 90 minutes of productive time from us :lol:

These days when I get Chipotles I have far smaller portions.

I like their "Food with Integrity" stance: https://www.chipotle.com/food-with-integrity

I don't buy pork that was conventionally raised and it is nice to have an inexpensive option for eating pork out.

Reading various Michael Pollan books and articles is why I don't eat conventionally raised pork, for example: https://michaelpollan.com/articles-archive/an-animals-place/
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Price out the cals in your contemplated order, if what you mean are calories. They are available. You may have to watch that they don't load you up with the rice (and sometimes beans), however -- some say they've seen that.

Personally, I either get a bowl with rice and black beans with the fajita veg, the tomatoes, and the hot sauce (no cheese or sour cream) or the bowl with black beans + pork and then everything else the same. The guac is good and avocados healthy, but it adds a ton of cals so just be aware of that.

I don't have it a lot (it's long been the easiest Saturday option at my office if I don't come prepared with food, but I try to bring my own food), but I don't have an issue with the healthiness and I find the things I order super filling for the cals. High sodium like most restaurants of that type, I'm sure, and fewer veg than I like in a meal, but not bad given you also get the black beans.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I would say it can be more nutritionally balanced than some other options for sure...but if I'm eating out, I'm not really concerned about the health benefits of my food. A fully loaded bowl, add chips, is a great carb loading meal.
  • fuzzylop_
    fuzzylop_ Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Other than sodium levels being a bit higher than I would prefer, I can't think of anything I routinely consume there which would give me pause.
  • Dreamwa1ker
    Dreamwa1ker Posts: 196 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    They have a very useful nutrition calculator on their website: https://www.chipotle.com/nutrition-calculator
    I use that to figure out my order and if I should portion it (e.g. as you said eating half). Obviously whoever dishes it up may go a little lighter or heavier than what that has calculated, but it should hopefully be ballpark close as they use the same dishers at all the stores. The food itself (I get the burrito bowl too) is actually pretty healthy as well as filling as it's a good mix of proteins, fats, carbs, fiber, it's the portion size that is generally the problem for me - I make something very similar to their burrito bowl at home but it's like half the size and heavier on veggies and beans than on meat. I've also had days I eat the whole thing but then have something really light for dinner - it's just making it fit your goals for the day or week.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Unless I was employed there and planning on eating their food multiple times a week I wouldn't care. Single meals are not that important unless they cause a medical problem like an allergic reaction.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    I cannot answer the question because I have never eaten at Chipotle and probably never will.