Is HIIT a really good way to get fit? If so, what are the best resources?

Options
Assume I want to do bike races and some running races. How much should I be using HIIT in my workouts?

What should I be reading? Watching, etc. To get into this?

Replies

• eric2light
    eric2light Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    And are there any downsides to using HIIT ideas in my workouts?
  • KDBisme
    KDBisme Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi Eric! I teach a HiiT cardio/strength training class and I use an app called Interval Timer. You can create your sets any way you like! I do a 1 minute jogging warmup, then 12 thirty second blocks of moderate to heavy cardio drills (6 minutes). Then the bulk of the class is divided up by muscle groups: Legs, Upper body, abs, and 4 minutes of plyometrics. So for my leg block, we do a minute of lunges or squats, followed by 30 seconds of sprints. 5 leg drills, and 6 for upper body and abs. Every minute of strength training is followed by a 30 second cardio burst. I like it because it's accessible to folks just starting out training, but if you want to ramp up the intensity you definitely can. You could start with that and eventually increase the strength and cardio intervals to increase muscle and endurance. I hope that answers your question a little?
  • eric2light
    Options
    Wow, thanks SO much for replying, @KDBisme ! Very grateful!

I installed Interval Timer on my iPhone and am just starting to use it.

Sounds like I could mimic your workouts in the park or at the gym using Interval Timer, eh?

Is there a person on youtube (or somewhere) you think I could steal workouts from who you think is good?

• KDBisme
    Options
    Yes you could definitely do them at the park or gym! (I'm jealous you live some place you'd want to be outside in January! lol) I like Natalie Jill Fit, but really I just do pretty standard things for the strength training. Weighted squats and lunges for lower body, bicep curls, tricep dips, pushups, overhead presses, etc. for upper. For the abs I like pilates, so lots of planks, v-ups, leg extensions. There's a website... I'll try to find it and share it here, that has 43 different plank variations!! <3 (I LOVE PLANKS!!) you could just do a different plank for every ab section. There are tons of great ideas on youtube also but I can't think of a specific trainer other than Natalie Jill.
  • vollkornbloedchen
    vollkornbloedchen Posts: 2,243 Member
    Options
    Insufficient data.
    The pros and cons of HIIT highly depend on personal goals, capabilities and fitness.

In general: HIIT is an excellent way to make you faster over longer distances ... It doesn't help you with your stamina though. So before trying to get fast you need endurance. Especially for bike-races speed is nothing without endurance and technique.

Try to find training groups (for running) and a (beginners!) Team for cycling.
    This, for beginners, is by far more efficient than highly specialized training-programs.
  • KDBisme
    Options
    https://greatist.com/move/plank-variations-for-core-strength. I was wrong, it’s 47 plank variations!! 🥰🥰🥰
  • kara_tastic
    kara_tastic Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    There are awesome HIITS on YouTube! That’s where I started and loved the results.
    It is great for you, running is great for endurance. I started running a few months ago and weightlifting. I also go tp Bootcamp classes.
  • eric2light
    Options
    KDBisme wrote: »
    https://greatist.com/move/plank-variations-for-core-strength. I was wrong, it’s 47 plank variations!! 🥰🥰🥰

Thanks you!

What do you think of the Peloton mobile app? Is there anything better?

• liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    If you are doing HIIT correctly to get the benefits of the method you really should only be doing a max of three sessions a week. Some of what is being described in this thread isn't HIIT, it's circuit training. They are very different things.

HIIT done correctly simply concentrates cardio into a smaller amount of time and can help improve cardio output for explosive movements.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    @sijomial has asked the right questions. It sounds like you are looking to train for 2/3rds of a triathlon.

Pick your events early in the season to focus your training appropriately. Select a training plan (I used Hal Higron for a half marathon in the fall and it was very good.) Joining clubs is very helpful; There are a lot more running clubs than cycling (particularly in winter), but you can do a spin class or buy a Peloton/Zwift connected trainer, as you mentioned.

Now, if you add swimming, you can be a triathlete!
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    eric2light wrote: »
    Assume I want to do bike races and some running races. How much should I be using HIIT in my workouts?

The specifics of your desired improvements will probably dictate what would work best for you. Endurance running and biking is quite a bit different than short intense stuff, and would require different training.

As for HIIT, highly controversial in the forums usually. I tried some time back to see what forum members think, and it quickly went many directions with opinions. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10650144/hiit-defined-what-is-or-isnt-hiit/p1

But some types have shown proven benefits in a brief period of time. Since you mention bike races, doing some Tabata IE1 on a bike trainer might be something to try. I've done it on my elliptical, and it's fairly intense. But overall unless you're crunched for time it's not something I could see myself wanting to do for months on end. Even doing a week per the protocol was kinda boring really.

This article https://acefitness.org/education-and-resources/professional/certified/research-special-issue-2017/6300/ace-sponsored-research-hiit-vs-steady-state-training goes into some comparisons of the pros and cons of some of the higher intensity type workout protocols. But though the Tabata shows some strong numbers, also note the general lack of enjoyment factor.

But having a strong cardio base is a starting point for the things you mentioned. And thought it seems counterproductive, sometimes speed is gained by more of the lower intensity and longer training sessions, combined with appropriate speed work.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    KDBisme wrote: »

That is a whole lot of variations. A lot of people hate planks, and at times that includes me. But with my back issues they are part of life. Now I have even more to explore.

And I'm being too lazy to quote it, but your mention of the timer app is a great suggestion for anyone doing any intense type HIIT stuff, really even the lower intensity stuff as well. Something as simple as keeping track of time can get fairly tricky when you are working hard enough.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Assume I want to do bike races and some running races.

There's nothing wrong with HIIT, but given your goals, what you should probably be doing is following structured training plans. Only doing HIIT isn't going to allow best allow you to reach your goals (which I think are pretty achievable depending on your current fitness and potential health issues). With regards to cycling, you also need to get outside because indoor training isn't going to do anything for your bike handling (save for perhaps if you're riding on rollers, which I'm assuming you're not doing) nor your ability to ride in a group. Depending on where you live, that's something you could should be looking at doing now. The suggestion of looking for a group to train with was a good one as well.

In terms of indoor training for cycling, I would suggest looking at TrainerRoad, Zwift, and the plans that you can buy from TrainingPeaks.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options

Pertaining to all the great comments above/below about true HIIT for your cardio objective - it usually seems to be about 1 x weekly, if even that.

All the comments about so-called "HIIT" workouts that may indeed be useful on their own, aren't usually HIIT and aren't what you are talking about.

HIIT, SIT, and IT all have different purposes and responses in aerobic training for cardio events.

This site folder is mis-named because more info has been added and changed, but this starts with SIT and has links for the others.

https://exrx.net/Sports/HIIT

https://exrx.net/Aerobic/IntervalTraining

Here's a fun running sample routine from some training years ago to try that doesn't require knowing HR levels or such because it's HIIT. Which is all out for short periods followed by decent recovery.
    Besides, after a certain time in anaerobic state - you'll start getting elevated HR just from the stress, not from the effort.
    But it does require a timer you can hear and set reps/sets on.

5 min warmup walk.
    5 min slow jog warmup.
    15 sec all out sprint (as fitness improves work up to 45 sec)
    45 sec walk/jog recovery (as sprint time goes up, this is 3x as long, so up to 135 sec)
    10 sets is it.
    (May not sound like much, but usually performance drops so bad after this you are no longer causing the desired changes anyway. It would be like attempting more lifting reps with bad form. When pace on last set is as fast as first set, increase the 15 sec.)

20 min slow recovery jog.
    1 min fast run as you can make it, pace attempted to be the same whole time, as fast as possible. But not a sprint that dwindles down to a fast run.
    1 min walk/jog recovery.
    10 sets here too.
    5 min slow jog cooldown.
    5 min cooldown walk stretching.

That last bit isn't really HIIT though, not enough recovery.
    But since wiped out from the HIIT - fun to throw another form of wipe out.
    That 2nd routine will aid in using up stored muscle glycogen used for the effort, and train body to store more.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    If your goal is athletic performance (running, biking, or both, as you say) then a training plan is your best bet. There are various free plans available, and others above have suggested specific sources. I'd add that you might want to look into duathlon training plans, since that's a bike/run event. There are differing duathlon competitive distances, so I'm betting you can find plans that stress speed more, or endurance more, if it matters to you. The plans will tell you what workouts to do, including how and when to incorporate high intensity work, and how much.

If your goal is general fitness, then it may be useful to think about what capabilities you'd like to develop (as others have mentioned): Speed, endurance, or others. You can then ask specific questions about that, or consult a trainer to develop a plan specific to your goals.

An extra few words about HIIT terminology: Initially, it was used to describe a specific type of cardiovascular training, generally workouts that were of overall very short duration, with intervals of extremely intense effort (maximum effort, typically), and relatively short rest (easy effort) intervals between them. The classic Tabata interval was a warm-up, 4 minute workout (yes, really), eight repetitions of 20 seconds ultra high effort (against tested benchmarks for each athlete, so no slacking) and 10 seconds recovery, then some cool-down. Modalities were commonly biking or running. (Sounds easy? Try it, pacing the active portion at max effort. It's not.)

There was sound research showing cardiovascular benefits (but not mostly in a "everyday exercise" context), and there's value for athletic performance in roles like sharpening VO2 max in the few weeks before a key competition, though it's not a daily thing even then. Having done a bit of this type in that kind of context, it's an interesting combination of really miserable/painful, and oddly exhilarating. Doing it daily would be dumb, frankly: Very fatiguing, not that effective at developing various important capabilities (like endurance), potentially more injury-prone.

Since then, the term "HIIT" has been broadened to include other exercise modalities that are done in interval format, usually longer sessions (half hour plus), often weight/calisthenics circuit training or "functional fitness" (like battle ropes, tire flips and that sort of thing). There's nothing wrong with those modalities, for those whose goals and fitness level they suit. To extend for a half hour plus, the intense intervals are necessarily less than the originally-tested physiological threshold effort (which is distinct from feeling like one is "going as hard as possible"), or the easy-effort intervals longer.

The thing is that some advocates claimed - sometimes without really adequate research foundation - that those revised versions had all the same benefits as the originally-researched cardio HIIT. Consequently, HIIT has become very trendy as a term, and used for all sorts of things, with all sorts of claims. That doesn't make the touted exercise bad, but it's a reason for skepticism about the claims.

If you want a HIIT sales job, extending all the way to "everyone ought to do it every day for maximum cardiovascular performance, monster calorie burn, better brain function, improved longevity, and more!", you can find those claim. And maybe it'll be a good exercise program. And it will sound really cool, frankly, which is kind of nice in its own way.

But, if your goal is either athletic performance or general fitness, there are more effective ways to accomplish those goals than "do HIIT" (or any unitary "do X", really, unless X is "a good training plan").

The most effective way is to use a structured training plan, from a tested, knowledgeable, reliable source, that supports your goals, and to be consistent about it. It's less exciting, but more effective.

Best wishes!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    Assume I want to do bike races and some running races.

There's nothing wrong with HIIT, but given your goals, what you should probably be doing is following structured training plans. Only doing HIIT isn't going to allow best allow you to reach your goals (which I think are pretty achievable depending on your current fitness and potential health issues). With regards to cycling, you also need to get outside because indoor training isn't going to do anything for your bike handling (save for perhaps if you're riding on rollers, which I'm assuming you're not doing) nor your ability to ride in a group. Depending on where you live, that's something you could should be looking at doing now. The suggestion of looking for a group to train with was a good one as well.

In terms of indoor training for cycling, I would suggest looking at TrainerRoad, Zwift, and the plans that you can buy from TrainingPeaks.

Great minds... :smile: