What fitness tracker do you use?

I’m currently using a fitbit charge 2, and looking to upgrade.
I’m thinking of either a FitBit Versa 2 or an Apple Watch 4 or 5.

What do you use, and what do you like about it??

Replies

• jlhalley7835
    jlhalley7835 Posts: 188 Member
    Apple Watch 4 - I love that it seemlessly syncs with my iPhones health app and MFP.

I like the ability to change songs on my phone from my watch during a workout, and it seems to be more accurate tracking my step count that my Fitbit was.
  • JoDavo66
    JoDavo66 Posts: 526 Member
    I've just moved from Fitbit Alta to Charged 3- loving it so far.
  • Girlheidi
    Girlheidi Posts: 60 Member
    Garmin.
    Fitbits on acid!
    Wonderful things and very comfortable.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,034 Member
    Garmin Vivoactive 3 (now replaced by Vivoactive 4, I believe). I've been using it for a bit over a year now. Overall, I'm very satisfied.

I think it's important to recognize what features you want/need, and look at devices from that perspective.

For me, it was important to have a device that would record heart rate for workouts, and do so even when I didn't have my phone with me; and track resting heart rate. While a wrist-based heart rate monitor is fine for most things, I wanted to be able to pair it with a chest belt for some things (I row on-water and machine, and there's too much arm flexion for wrist-based to handle, often). It needed to let me input my own max heart rate, because mine is not close to the standard age estimates.

I wanted it to have GPS for speed/pace/distance for outdoor acivities, but didn't care if it would create or track routes. I wanted something that would let me tell it what kind of workout I was doing, so it would at least have the potential for more accurate calorie estimates, though I understand the limitations that any of these devices have in that department. I didn't need it to track swimming.

I didn't care if it tracked steps (though it does), because that's not a significant factor in my lifestyle; nor did I need it to be part of a common community with my friends' devices (which is important and motivating for some people).

I didn't care if it displayed notifications from my phone, but it does, and I've learned to appreciate that: I can keep my phone in my pocket or purse at social times, and still see if I've gotten an urgent call or text, because the watch vibrates and shows me the incoming number/contact or text message.

I also like that the watch automatically syncs workouts (etc.) to my phone when I'm in Bluetooth range, and that the phone uploads to the cloud (Garmin Connect, specifically), where I can access and analyze the data from any of my devices.

I was looking for something that had a very visible time display, because I'm used to wearing a wristwatch (I'm old ;) ), and that was very sturdy; but I didn't really want something that looked like I thought I was a Special Forces commando type. :lol:

It charges rapidly (usually I just stick it on the charger during daily showers, even though it's waterproof), and a charge would normally last at least a couple of days, even with workouts.

Mine supposedly tracks sleep, but it's pretty laughable (and I gather that research suggests this is pretty much the state of the technology, regardless of brand/device). Recently, I spent a night all wired up at a sleep clinic: The difference between what those devices saw, and what my watch said, was hilarious to both me and the technician.

Anecdotally (from posts here and talking with my friends), the Garmin devices seem more robust (longer-lived) than Fitbits.
  • Nery_Tay
    Nery_Tay Posts: 81 Member
    edited January 2020
    I currently have a Fitbit Blaze. I plan on upgrading to a Garmin because it fits my need. I've personally grown tired of Fitbit's products as the cons have accumulated over the 4 product changes I've bought over the past 6 years. A big con for myself would be the band's glue will dissolve leading to the total product needing to be replaced. This is why I decided to buy the Blaze, as the actual band can be replaced while not replacing the actual product. When I purchased my fitness tracker I take into account: What exercises will I be doing? Will I need the device to be waterproof? What are people saying online? How is customer support / warranty if the device malfunctions? Do I need a heart rate tracker? Will I focus only on steps? Do I need a device which has the ability to do careless payments / looking at text messages while running?
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,425 Member
    I love my Apple watch. I can leave my phone at home now when I walk to workouts, and not have to worry about leaving it laying around at the gym or on the studio floor, or weighting down my pocket during a run.

I can view and answer calls, texts, and emails. It records weight updates from my scale, bluetooths to my earphones, Siri records any reminders I need to set, and then reminders ping me. It gives me local (and any other location I choose) weather and forecasts at a glance.

Best of all, it records all my workouts, assigns what seems to be pretty accurate calorie counts to them, and syncs them into MFP. There's even an MFP app for the watch but I didn't like it, so don't use it, unless I want to record water for some reason.

If I set it on a walk or run, it measures my speed, distance, steps per minutes, etc.

I also like the challenges, which I can set to myself, or join group Apple Watch challenges. It sends me reminders if I'm "behind" on calorie burn for the day, reminds me to breath (sounds silly, but sometimes a reminder is welcome), and rewards me with addictive graphics when I reach certain goals. It's all very, strangely effective.

I have been known to surreptitiously Shazam a few things via my watch during yoga classes. The alarm was great when we were traveling last month.

The Maps feature is fabulous. If I set a destination on my phone, my watch will buzz me so I can tilt my wrist to check turns instead of fumbling for the phone.

So many more functions. It's absolutely amazing, and worth every nickel.

We truly live in wondrous times.

• Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,048 Member
    I had a garmin (daughter has it now) bought a fitbit versa ....I love it
  • wenrob
    wenrob Posts: 125 Member
    edited January 2020
    I was a pretty dedicated FitBit user and then my family bought me an Apple Watch last Christmas. After one day I abandoned the FitBits and never looked back. LOVE my AW4. It’s a lot handier than I could have imagined and it pushes me more than the FitBit ever did.
  • fuzzylop_
    fuzzylop_ Posts: 100 Member
    I use a garmin forerunner 945 currently, but I used to use an apple watch. I feel like the garmin is a great fitness ecosystem but not a very good smart watch. Apple Watches are great smart watch, and an ... adequate fitness device. Both are great, although I know when I was using the apple watch, I wasn't always thrilled with the mfp syncing. I don't know if it's improved since then, though.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    The Garmin vivomove HR is on sale on Amazon right now for $150 and I just bought it. I hope I love it! I've been using the vivofit for about 4 years so I am excited for a stylish upgrade!!
  • etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    I've had my charge 2 for a while now and see no need to upgrade!
  • bourbon_n_barbells
    bourbon_n_barbells Posts: 425 Member
    I got a FitBit Versa2 from Santa. I'm liking it so far. I had no idea I was such a terrible sleeper!
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    I have an Inspire HR now, love it. I don't have a need for a full on smart watch and I'm primarily concerned with sleep, HR, steps...ect.

I've had a Garmin Vivofit 3HR (I think ) and that was fairly similary in quality and function to the Fitbit but seems like the Fitbit tracks sleep better and is smaller which I like.

• HeyThereFatMan
    HeyThereFatMan Posts: 10 Member
    I'm using the G-Shock GBA-800. I hit a wall with smart watches. I was sick of getting pings every time I get a text or call. Leave me alone. :) Also, I find Fitbit's and Apple Watches to be on the feminine side. It's hard to look cool in them. The G-Shock looks like I'm wearing a friggin' storm trooper on my arm. haha. AND you don't have to charge it. ever. the batter lasts 2 years while it counts steps.

doesn't sync with MFP, so that's a minus, but i'm ok with that.
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 528 Member
    I just got a Versa Lite... I used a FitBit Zip for over 6 years, but it died... and they don't make them anymore. :( And I'm not real pleased with the Versa, personally. I count my steps then compare them to the Versa... the Zip went by movement, step down and you've got a step. The Versa? I have no idea how it works, but it loses steps. A LOT of steps. I doesn't count a single step when I'm cooking, the 4 steps back and forth from the stove to the sink, the 5 steps from the sink to the trash can, regardless of how many times I go back and forth, the Versa skips every single step. Walking through the house, it drops around 10 steps per 100 taken. Outside... not quite as bad, but still drops steps. It doesn't have a setting that makes sense for stationary bikes... I tried using the Spin setting, got my pulse up the 90 (low end) with a high end of 140 BPM, and worked it like that for 60 minutes. The bike, which usually comes in a bit lower than the MFP site, gave me over 700+ calories burned, the site a few more... the Versa? Gave me 320. I know my bod, that burn was WAY off. So yeah... not real happy with it. I'll be checking this post more, to see what y'all are liking, 'cause the Versa just isn't accurate enough for me. I'm only interested in step count, miles walked and burn, mostly, so I'll see what y'all have to say. OP... glad you started this thread. ;)
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Garmin Instinct - waterproof, shock resistant, watch face is always on and customizable, way more comfortable to wear than my old Fitbit, has GPS... as a family we kayak, SUP, bike, hike, run, etc. and with a Sprint Tri in the spring I can use it to track all the different type of training I am doing.
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    Garmin Vivosport. I wanted something that could have GPS tracking for runs while also having enough battery life to only have to charge a few times a week. I had hoped for a watch that would also track swimming, but I was limited to certain models based on the ability to wear it in a secure workspace. I am quite happy with the model I chose. The garmin ap has some nice features for sleep and cycle tracking in addition to the fitness specific features. They also tend to be a bit less compared to other brands.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    My charge 2 died a few weeks back, so I just upgraded to the versa 2. I like it so far. I think the HR monitor is a little better. I like that I can read full texts on it. I use the timer and stopwatch a lot during workouts.
  • igniscordis
    igniscordis Posts: 41 Member
    garmin vivosmart 3 for 2 years now.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Garmin Fenix 6X. Good GPS, turn by turn directions, topographic maps for hiking without phone reception, battery that can last weeks, indestructible, etc.