Pressure Cooker Meals

Options
Can someone direct me to healthy recipes between 300-500 calories that can be made in a pressure cooker?

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Most things you'll make in a pressure cooker are going to be bulk foods that you need to portion out, but you can do kale, beans, chicken, awesome deliciousness, almost ANY recipe can be made in the pressure cooker. What types of foods are you looking for?
  • JustSomeEm
    Options
    Also: Check this link out for some potential recipes.... (I may or may not have a love affair with my instant pot) https://popculture.com/healthy-living/2018/01/24/instant-pot-recipes-weight-loss/#1
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    If I get an Insta Pot I'd also get this book by America's Test Kitchen from my library: Multicooker Perfection: Cook It Fast or Cook It Slow-You Decide and buy it if I liked it.

Any recipe can be portioned to be 300-500 calories - you'll get bigger portions from recipes that include low calorie density food. I often include cauliflower or other veggies to otherwise high calorie recipes to "bulk them up." Or I have a smaller portion with a big salad.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,581 Member
    Options
    Not sure how you like to eat. If you bulk up soups, stews, and chili with vegetables you can usually eat two cups. I never stick to a recipe but will give a fee ideas.

Forks Over Knives lentil vegetable soup. Just be sure to add more seasoning as it was bland, I used cajun seasoning.

Salsa chicken breasts- two Costco chicken breasts defrosted enough to pry apart, 3/4 cup water, cup salsa 7 minutes NPR. It will need more salsa. If you do more and they touch I had to restart twice so about 15 minutes for layers of breasts. You can eat whole or shred. You can also just use broth and herbs if you don't want salsa.

Either Mel's Diner split pea soup (with ham bone) or plant-based Gabriel's split pea with jalapenos. The latter uses a lot of herbs and I use 6 jalapenos. I'll sometimes add barley or potatoes.

Well Plated sweet potato turkey chili. I leave out beer and quinoa and add hot chili powder. Definitely use chipotle pepper! I don't usually have beer or I'd use it.

You can make all kinds of meats, I just eat chicken breasts, fish, and turkey so I can't recommend anything. Potatoes, sweet potatoes, artichokes, and winter squash come out great. I haven't done non-starchy vegetables as I love them roasted but know only to do 0 minutes or they get mushy. Yogurt is fun to make too!
  • JustSomeEm
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    Yogurt is fun to make too!

I just discovered the yogurt feature on mine, and I've made 3 batches in the past week... AND I learned to strain it to make Greek yogurt... Totally delicious! And super easy. :)

• 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I'm a new Instant Pot user and am still getting used to it, but it cooks chicken even better than my slow-cooker did... nice and juicy. I do a couple of skinless breasts at a time and freeze some for later meals. I also used the slow-cook feature to whip up a batch of turkey chili, which also freezes well.
  • aries68mc
    aries68mc Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Also a new Instant Pot user, haven't done much other than hard boiled eggs mostly (love it for this!). I've done oatmeal once and also Quinoa once. Also did shredded pork.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I'm a walking commercial (unpaid) for the electric pressure cooker idea.

best thing that ever happened to my personal fitness goals because it makes bulk meal prep sooooooo flipping quick that I don't have any more excuses about poor food choices.

even if i didn't use it for anything but chicken breast, it would be worth it for the tender, moist and perfectly cooked results every single time. I'm making up for 40 years of dry stringy crockpot chicken.

weekly I make: rice, beans, sweet potatoes, meat,
    daily I reheat (*in the instant pot) from frozen : all of the above which was portioned into approx 350cal servings in a wide mouth mason jar.