How do You Decompress Without Food, TV or Social Media?

I've noticed a pattern of using food to decompress. As I've tried to break this habit, I notice that I am spending more time in front of the television and scrolling social media to get my brain quiet-- but that's not really how I want to live my life.

How do you decompress without food, TV or Social Media? Mentally I am struggling.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    Definitely exercise and positive projects always on the burner. So many things to try!

How about volunteering?
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    I play guitar and consistent exercise helps me relax.
  • breefoshee
    breefoshee Posts: 398 Member
    Thanks! I really like these Ideas. I do play the guitar, but it's been a while since I've played. And I've been wanting to read more!
  • sweetbe44
    sweetbe44 Posts: 195 Member
    Yoga and playing with my dog 🐕
  • FitGuyWillDoIt
    FitGuyWillDoIt Posts: 111 Member
    Yoga and working out. Try restorative yoga.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,413 Member
    Spontaneous walks.nonstop cleaning even when not needed. :* Needlepoint and crochet. Get a dog. They always want attention.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Yoga, running, a nature walk, gym, a good book, or a hot bath. Or...any and all of the above.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    I am a quilter - that is my happy place/quiet time :smile: Reading is good, puzzles are another favorite. Walking/running/biking...
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    I lift heavy things.
  • Lobsterboxtops
    Lobsterboxtops Posts: 92 Member
    Knitting is my meditation. I also read or listen to audiobooks. And those stupid match 3 games let me turn my brain off.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    Sit quietly doing nothing. It helps if you have a place where there is no TV, no computer within sight so as to not be tempted.
  • xGreatWhiteNorthx
    xGreatWhiteNorthx Posts: 335 Member
    edited January 2020
    Smoke a joint and spend time outside .

Reading.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    My suggestions would be to look to nature. watching birds, listening to the rain fall, and getting up early and watching the day turn from dark, to dusk, to light is so relaxing and profound. Also, a clear crisp night.. wrap up..go outisde and look at how bright the stars are. It is inspirational...peaceful..and it centers a person.

and Nature is Free.
  • SolanineNightshade
    SolanineNightshade Posts: 38 Member
    Read, learn a new hobby, take an online course
  • thenewkayla
    thenewkayla Posts: 313 Member
    A hot bath and music will kill at least 30 mins -1 hr for me. Following for more ideas
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Making pottery- going to the hot tub with a large bottle of water, meditation, writing in my journal with some coffee, and when I’m pissed off I will lift some heavy weights. 😂
    But truth be told, sometimes I just want some trashy reality tv and a glass of dry wine.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    I run....long distances...without headphones, just me & my thoughts.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,538 Member
    It sounds stressful because it's multiple things at once but I ride my recumbent bike listening to rock and reading novels. When I'm done I do strength exercises then wind down with stretching. I'll read right before bed. I just started putting on fun music from my teens and dancing while doing chores. Cooking is also relaxing to me.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Read. It’s been my favorite pastime since I learned to read. So many books, so little time.