Who burns 1000+ cals daily?

Options
I am looking for females who burns 1000 cals daily to motivate me. Feel free to add me.

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    If you mean 1000 extra exercise calories burned daily, that’s a lot of exercise, and pretty agressive for the average person.
    As rv1234567 said, your body burns calories through functioning, that’s your BMR, how many calories your body burns daily.
  • DrSong
    DrSong Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It's technically possible - I'm sure some jobs (bike messenger? lumberjack in 1920?) would have people that do it but if you're asking for people that do that every day at the gym, that sounds dangerous?
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    and OP, most healthy adults’ bodies burn well over 1000 calories per day just functioning.
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I am 5 foot 3. I burn at least 1700 just by existing, but usually 2,200 at minimum for normal day to day activity. I burn an extra 100-160 calories some days via exercise.
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    For comparison sake, that's an 80 kg woman walking 3 hours 47 minutes a day
    https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=Female,+walking,+227+minutes,+4.5+km/hr,+80+kg
    Or her running at 7 km/hr for just over 90 minutes
    https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=Female,+running,+93.3+minutes,+7+km/hr,+80+kg
    If she doesn't have a job, or is on holiday I could certainly see her doing that spread over 2 sessions a day.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    threewins wrote: »
    For comparison sake, that's an 80 kg woman walking 3 hours 47 minutes a day
    https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=Female,+walking,+227+minutes,+4.5+km/hr,+80+kg
    Or her running at 7 km/hr for just over 90 minutes
    https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=Female,+running,+93.3+minutes,+7+km/hr,+80+kg
    If she doesn't have a job, or is on holiday I could certainly see her doing that spread over 2 sessions a day.

Sustainably, every day, while maintaining good, healthy overall life balance (enough energy/time for job, family, social relationships, non-exercise hobbies, etc.)?

It's not impossible, and might even be reasonable in a serious endurance athlete . . . but serious endurance athletes are usually thinking about structured training plans, not "calories per day".

OP, I usually burn something averaging in the range of 2000-2500 calories daily, at 5'5" and a bodyweight in the mid-130s pounds. That includes anything from zero to 500ish calories from intentional exercise, most typically around 275 +/-. The days with 500ish are pretty fatiguing, though if I devoted more training hours more routinely, I could work up to 500ish and find it less fatiguing. But I have other priorities, so I'm very happy with the status quo.

Be aware that machines, organizations like Orange Theory and their ilk, the MFP database, and even fitness trackers and heart rate monitors, can significantly overestimate exercise calories.

Someone who is very obese burns more calories per minute for most any guven activity/intensity, of course.

I don't think you'll get many takers, asking for 1000+ daily exercise calories . . . at least not accurate ones. Some, maybe.

Best wishes, truly!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I would consider myself to be a very active person (exercises daily, often walks to work, walks on my lunch break) and 1,000 calories would be a big day even for me (currently averaging about 600-700 calories a day through exercise). If a woman told me that she was daily burning 1,000 calories through intentional exercise, my first thought would be that her calorie tracking may be over-estimating. If that wasn't the case, then I'd assume she was an elite athlete.

OP, unless you're training for a specific event and following a training plan to excel in that event, I would question if your expectations are realistic.
  • koalathebear
    koalathebear Posts: 236 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I'm pretty sure my Garmin overestimates my exercise calories but for me, an hour + of Zumba (which I do every morning before work via youtube), tends to burn 600+ calories compared to how much I can burn on a treadmill or an elliptical. For reference, a 40 minute HIIT class tends to burn around 350 calories. I capture all my walks whether walking the dog, grocery shopping (pushing a trolley) and I try to fit in a 30 minute lunchtime walk and a 30 minute walk around the block before my colleagues arrive at work (30 minute walks tend to burn around 100 calories or so).

So I frequently exceed 1,000 recorded calories a day based on 1 hour or more of intense cardio and an hour or more of leisurely/not very serious exercise - I fit as many incidental mini walks into my day as I can. My dog walks are not any more strenuous than a grocery walk to be honest because of my dogs' habit of wanting to pee on every tree/bush :p
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I am looking for females who burns 1000 cals daily to motivate me. Feel free to add me.

I'm not a female, but rather an over the hill endurance guy. :) While my training partners(male and female) and I expend a lot of calories during training, I think @AnnPT77 has summed it up nicely: "It's not impossible, and might even be reasonable in a serious endurance athlete . . . but serious endurance athletes are usually thinking about structured training plans, not "calories per day".

The reason we burn lots of calories doing this is because we are trying to build aerobic and muscle endurance over time(12-24 weeks typically) in order to complete long distance events such as marathons, triathlons, ultra distance races, etc, NOT to burn calories as a means of weight loss. In fact, we typically take in lots of calories DURING our longer sessions as a way to delay performance declines during a multi hour training session. We look at calories only to understand how to enhance our performance and refuel our bodies post workout to help us recover for the next day's training session(s). And many of our shorter sessions expend fewer than 1000 calories. Finally, we are very focused on our growing fatigue each training period and use "recovery weeks" to allow our bodies to repair themselves in preparation for subsequent increases in training volume.

So my two cents is I wouldn't advise trying to sustain a 1000 calorie/day exercise expenditure as the centerpiece of a weight loss effort. Its a recipe for a huge amount of fatigue and perhaps injury or illness.

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    1000+ cals in exercise? I mean, I am 6'3" 195 ish. Average 14k + steps, lift 4-5 days a week, have a job on my feet most of the day and maybe burn 4-6 hundred in "exercise". Diet drives weight loss. Get your nutrition in line and let exercise be a bonus. After weight loss, exercise can drive maintenance.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I burn about 600-800 per day. Maybe more. But most of that comes from breastfeeding, walking and exercise.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options

Even if you find what you are looking for, they will not be able to motivate you. They may encourage you and probably inspire you, but that is all. Motivation comes from within, so it is up to you to find it.

Good luck!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I think if a person did two hours of a cardio..they'd be close. I do the elliptical for an hour and it says I've burned near 800..which I don't take as gosple..at all. But I'm not even going crazy fast.

I'm sure cyclist who bank 25 miles a ride do that.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    I think if a person did two hours of a cardio..they'd be close. I do the elliptical for an hour and it says I've burned near 800..which I don't take as gosple..at all. But I'm not even going crazy fast.

I can't speak for others, or for other activities, but it's true that I can hold 590-ish gross calories (weight adjusted) on a rowing machine long enough, with some short water breaks, that I could get in 1000 rowing machine calories in a day in less than a couple of hours wall clock. I'm not a profoundly unconditioned person (though I am old), and my technique is reasonably efficient, but it would be very fatiguing.

I could do 500/hour for a continuous hour, maybe two, though I'd be very thirsty if I didn't stop to drink. (I have no reason to try; it's a weird pace/duration combo for me, and irrelevant to my goals).

Either of those would be tiring, and take a long time. I couldn't do it daily and maintain what I consider good overall life balance . . . and I'm retired, with no family responsibilities. I'm sure others could manage it, and the nature of one's workout makes a difference.

Part of the problem here is that we don't know what OP was talking about.

1. 1000 total calories a day? Most adults burn substantially more than that, even quite small, inactive adults.
    2. 1000 calories extra from intentional workout-type exercise? Pretty aggressive for an average-sized female, if you ask me, and it assumes exercise is quite a high priority.
    3. 1000 "active" calories from a tracker, encompassing work, home chores, miscellaneous daily activity and intentional workout-type exercise? Probably not that tough, or uncommon.
    4. 1000 calorie tracker adjustment vs. MFP? That's going to be very setting-dependent.

FWIW, in my earlier post on this thread, I was assuming scenario #2.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I am in the peak 4 weeks of training for a marathon. I run all the time-I’m at the point of training that people dislike because it interferes with normal life activities and it’s absolutely physically exhausting (and unsustainable for any real length of time).

The closest I’ve come is an average of about 700 calories (burned through exercise) a day. That includes very necessary rest days and 20 mile runs.

I have no desire or physical ability to do more than that.

I’m also unlikely to motivate anyone to do anything. I’m busy motivating myself to go do yet another long-*kitten* run when I really just want to eat and nap.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options

An hour of cardio that is sustainable for 2 hours and doesn’t leave me in a state where I’m unable to do some sort of activity the next day burns 300-400 calories. So 600-800 for 2 hours.

I burn 625-750 on a 25 mile bike ride.

1000 is really quite a bit to do at a level that is repeatable day after day.

Unless you’re using mfp estimates - in which case I “burn” 1000+ in 90 minutes of activity.
  • FitAndGoodLooking
    FitAndGoodLooking Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    rv1234567 wrote: »
    I burn about 2500 calories a day just by existing.

If you are trying to burn 1000 extra calories through exercise every single day, you are going to burn out very quickly.

You dont need MFP then ;)