Compound exercises work outs

Options
Hello just wondering g if anybody had a simple 2-4 compound exercise work out that can all be done daily or split. I have looked about and can’t find a decent 1. Basically I swim a lot when I am home as I get a sore back (sciatica) so I can’t really through myself Into a full weight workout plan. I need to try get a strong core so I don’t cause sciatica again but just need a daily workout with a couple of things I can do over n over week in week out. I do u deserved doing the actual same thing everyday isn’t really a good idea either. So am pretty stuck.

Along with swimming I have tried Pilates So want something that compliments these for when I work offshore

Thanks for any help/info

Replies

• ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Look at Starting Strength - or one of the 531 programs and limit the assistance lifts to fit you
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5. 5 total exercises, but split into A/B workouts 3x/wk that take about 30 min to complete.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    You may be able to do daily Farmer’s walks. The programs listed above require rest days. I prefer Strong Curves to help develop core/posterior chain. Yoga can help alleviate sciatic pain.
  • ryaneyo123
    ryaneyo123 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Sorry just a note I am basically a total beginner regarding weights I can never stick around doing them too long. Wether it’s my form or the actual pain it can cause my back with it not being strong enough. Just looking at that strong lifts I know for certain I wouldn’t be able to do the dead lifts but maybe the squats

I have free weights and a trx band I can use ceases looking for something I can do simpler to 60 burpees 1 days. 50 press ups the next. Something that is pretty straight forward but uses 3/4 compound exercises to do say in day out That would make a decent difference

Will look what farmers walks are now

Thanks for any info
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    If DL causes sciatica it can be that you have an abdominal weakness causing your back to work harder. Or you could just be the piriformis muscle, try sitting and rolling a tennis ball under your rear end to release it. DLs are so beneficial to developing the posterior chain, you should try some things to make it work.

If you have back pain, followed by sciatica it's probably an imbalance between back/ab strength. If you have no back pain but sciatica it's probably piriformis which can be treated by rolling an tennis ball. If the back is the problem try a post workout shower starting hot as you can handle without burning and alternating cold as you can get. Do that for 10-15 minutes. Then take a bag of crushed ice and put it under your back, no towel or shirt between you and the ice.

To prevent it, make sure you strengthen your back and abs in balance.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    ryaneyo123 wrote: »
    Sorry just a note I am basically a total beginner regarding weights I can never stick around doing them too long. Wether it’s my form or the actual pain it can cause my back with it not being strong enough. Just looking at that strong lifts I know for certain I wouldn’t be able to do the dead lifts but maybe the squats

I have free weights and a trx band I can use ceases looking for something I can do simpler to 60 burpees 1 days. 50 press ups the next. Something that is pretty straight forward but uses 3/4 compound exercises to do say in day out That would make a decent difference

Will look what farmers walks are now

Thanks for any info

You can start with light weight and progress from there. Years ago I was training a girl name Nellie, she was not athletic at all - The best she could do for a bench press was a 20 lb bar for a few reps , so that is where we started and she progressed from there. With her running, the best she could do at the beginning was a 100 feet , so she ran for one lot widthin her neighborhood, and walked for 2 , later as she progressed she ran farther.
    The point is start with what you can do and progress from that point.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Farmers walks are weighted carries. Carry weights in each grip while stabilizing core.

Strong Curves may be a good program for you. It is marketed toward women but It is good for men and women. The book illustrates various supplemental exercises. The best way to progress and stop spinning wheels is to train with a proven program.

Google piriformis stretch.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    When deadlifts were too heavy because of a pririformis injury, I used 2 kettle bells instead.
  • ryaneyo123
    ryaneyo123 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Liftingbro. So apparently my pelvis is slightly squint so put ours extra pressure on 1 of my discs physio found this out. Physiotherapist said I need to build muscles go gym get a PT. then when I was getting osteotherpy she told me to listen to my body. If my back hurts doing weights don’t do them find something you can do and enjoy it and don’t injure yourself. You get 1 spine and 1 back if it’s causing you trouble why make it worse. So kind of got 2 conflicting things to do.

That’s why taken up swimming which will help my core and keep fit . But need something that’s can go along with that. I mean even 100 burpees for 100 days gimmicky stuff you see in YouTube.