19 months later!

Options
Hi everyone. I'm not new here but I wanted to introduce myself since I thought maybe I could help with boosting your motivation...I'd love to encourage at least one person if I can.

I started at over 300lbs a year and a half ago. I felt lost and depressed but I signed up to MFP and adopted a strict mind set. I decided that I was going to change my life...and I have done. I have lost over 100lbs -- I still have roughly 50 to lose but I am as determined (if not more so) as ever. I feel so proud of myself for sticking with it...and you can, too.

When I first started out, it felt like such a challenge...I wasn't sure I would be able to do it. I mean...300lbs is a LOT and at only 5'3...well, it's an even bigger lot. So, how did I find the motivation and the discipline? The thing that really helped me back then, was continually escaping, mentally and imagining myself in a year from then...I would ask myself...what do I want to be...who do I want to be this time next year? I figured, next year will come around regardless....do I want to be a better version of me this time next year? Or do I want to be in the exact same position as I am now? I'd likely feel even worse than I do right now actually since I would have known that I had consciously chosen not to help myself...there was no way I wanted that for myself. I knew how it felt...I'd experienced it so many times before. This time it would be different...and you know what? It was...I lost 50lbs in the first year...it's not a huge amount...I did it slowly and I am glad, since I have no loose skin and I feel like this is a life long commitment...and I am commited to myself.

Fast forward another 7 months and here I am...more than another 50lbs lighter and so proud of myself. Hopefully come June, 2 years from my start date, I will have made even more progress and I will think back to that conversation I had 2 years prior (with myself) and be so very happy that I did not listen to the negative voices within...believe me, they were loud.

I just wanted to let you know that yes, you can do this...anyone can. It's not miraculous, it's just the result of caring for yourself...that's really all it is.

Look after yourself. :)

HAPPY NEW YEAR! May this be the year that your life changes for the better.

Please feel free to add me if you feel that you need a friend. :)

Replies

• Chrisiswinning
    Chrisiswinning Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thank you — that’s amazing. Inspirational stuff. I lost 7 st a few years ago. And guess what, they’re all back with me. Feeling daunted but determined to lose them all (and more) for good this time.
  • TheRedQueen1981
    TheRedQueen1981 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Hi Chris. I know that feeling all too well...I lost a lot of weight when I wa 25 but gained it all back too — I was so angry with myself but I know that’s silly now...being angry with myself is wasted energy and I need a lot of energy to focus on loving myself instead.

The good thing is that YOU’RE HERE! You have taken the first step...I know it’s daunting but imagine you in a year from now. Imagine how happy you will be to have loved yourself enough to change your life in such a way. You deserve to feel that way. You really do...and you’ve already proven that you can do it. Let’s do it again! :)