How to avoid "the saggy belly"

Options
So I started this at 290 and after a month I've gotten down to 270. Obviously I still have a long way to go but I've started noticing that my belly, although smaller, is a lot "saggier" than it used to be. I'm terrified that I'm going to end up with extra skin that just hangs off my body! I know that I'll have SOME just from being the size that I am, but is there anyway to minimize it? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Nikki_is_Knotty
    Nikki_is_Knotty Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Bump! I started at 300 and have lost only 15 lbs so far, but i'm interested to know what ppl have to say
  • Reneda
    Reneda Posts: 140
    Options
    bump - -- i'm having that problem too... :-( I'm going to try more ab exercises, but I'm not sure that's the answer either.. it may just be something we have to live with.. :-(
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ConnieSG
    Options
    Are you exercising? If not, I would say to start. If you do, add some crunches into the mix. I am not sure if you have money for a gym or even a personal trainer, but if you do I would try those. My trainer is really working my whole body and I do notice my belly getting smaller! Hope that helps
  • jenny138
    Options
    Ive lost 80 pounds and yes my stomach has gotten smaller but I def still have the sagginess and I think it is gross. So I would like to know also.
  • i would loveto kno too, ive lost 70 pounds and have two kids, and my belly has that strech!.....soooooo flippin annoying..i would love to kno how to tighten the skin....cuz i thought id have to get a tuck...
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    sorry, another bump. Two kids and I am already down almost 45lbs.. my tummy needs help!!
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Only time will do that, if you lose at a steady slow pace it shouldn't be as noticeable as if you lose weight at a faster pace. According to some experts, skin can take as much as 2 years to stretch back to where it will finally end.
  • lauraashley614
    Options
    Bump. I've seen some people avoid it and I dont' know if its genetic, but if I can stop it, I want to know :)
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    core exercise - walk, jumping jacks, planks - research kettlebells, see what you think
    good luck, I'm working on that too. Started the 30 day shred today, I just sneezed & felt it in my lower belly somewhere (omg!) I have abs!
  • patiencez2
    patiencez2 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Running helps I have been told to lose belly fat. So I try to add a little low impact jogging with my dog.
    has helped some.
  • springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Change your diet. Clean, clean, clean. I also drink a gallon of water a day. Genetics play a role so remember this. Try your best not to cheat. You need cardio to burn the fat, and do core exercises in the meantime (because even if you aren't after a 6 pack we need a strong core). It's slowly going down, but I fully intend on having surgery to give me the results I want.

Here is my "core" workout (daily - before I go out for my run):
    200 sit-ups (work your way up gradually - I started out doing 30)
    100 leg lifts
    Mountain climbers (this video will help with it): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO5KVEoEbo4
    Plank as often as you can, too.
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    Not an expert-these are just what I've picked up from the forums. If you search 'loose skin' etc you'll find a lot of posts.

1) Lose weight slowly - it gives the skin more time to recover.
    2) Drink lots of water - proper hydration is essential.
    3) Do core strength training exercises - you cannot spot reduce but you can make the muscle underneath better for support.
    4) Eat right - Your skin is an organ, make sure you are meeting your daily requirements.
    5) Give it time. It takes a while for your skin to recover to the extent it can.

This is a foods list to help prevent saggy skin (everywhere): http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/331248-how-to-prevent-droopy-skin

And in the end everyone says it's genetics, but if you follow these basics you should at least have better results than you would have.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Well, ladies, there is hope. I started at 260 and have lost 70 pounds and although there is some loose skin, it's not too bad. I'm sure there will still be some because of all the yo-yo-dieting I've done and because I was obese for so long but I think exercising (including weight training) and eating a good balanced diet (remember some fats are actually good for you!) has helped a lot.

I will tell you that I go through phases with my skin as it recovers. It's loose for a while then it firms up, then it gets loose again when I lose a few more pounds, then it catches up again. Just be patient and when your weight loss slows down, remember that losing slow is the way to go. Not only is it more healthy but it gives your body time to get used to its new state.
  • newlyknit
    newlyknit Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've had twins... so my belly has really stretched. I lost ten pounds and my belly was really saggy, my stretch marks became more noticeable too. Since I've been exercising and doing lots of crunches and core workouts, I've noticed a difference in my belly. Its less saggy and a little tighter. I hope this is working, but I'm all ears for other tips?
  • slay0r
    slay0r Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Mostly it's from losing weight too fast. If you exercise, moisturise and more importantly drink a lot of water you should be ok. Another thing to keep in mind is sleep but that's part of the diet as a whole.

From what I've been told from a few different sources, if you lose weight slowly it gives more time for the skin to keep its elasticity. If you lose it really fast it loses this elasticity which is why it ends up hanging down below your private parts!

I've got a little bit of my stomach left, I lost 9 stone in a year so I expected some of it, lost it way too fast! I've combated it by using bio oil and a LOT of exercise and low fat foods. This seems to have helped over the last month or so, going to keep it up and see how it goes. Feel free to add me for updates!
  • binkybaby1
    binkybaby1 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising? If not, I would say to start. If you do, add some crunches into the mix. I am not sure if you have money for a gym or even a personal trainer, but if you do I would try those. My trainer is really working my whole body and I do notice my belly getting smaller! Hope that helps

Exercise is the key along with slow weight loss. If you loss about 1 - 2 lbs a week and do the toning exercises this will help with decreasing the excess skin. I started with excess skin and have lost over 50 lbs so far but my excess skin has decreased because the weight loss has been around 1 - 2 lbs a week. If you drop large weight especially quickly there's really no way to stop excess skin. If you drop large weight slowly your skin will kind of bounce back but not perfect. there are a lot of factors but this is pretty much standard info.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I have lost a little more than 70 pounds, and my tummy is saggy with extra skin, despite hard-core exercising the entire time and losing very slowly. So I just think that it may be genetic and unavoidable for some? I have been told that it will tighten up with maintenance naturally and to wait at least two years before worrying about it being permanent, so there is hope!

edited to add: I'm much happier with my body with a loose tummy than I was with a tight tummy at my high weight! :bigsmile:
  • mitchellsmama
    Options
    This is strictly my opinion and I am not a doctor but I am a health and physical education teacher. Alot of it will depend on your age and genetics. The younger you are, the better your chance it will shrink some. If you have good genetics, then you are very lucky.T However, the skin has been stretched and more than likely will not "shrink" back. Crunches are not going to make your stomach stop sagging because you are strengthening the muscles under the layer of fat and skin. If you are older, as I am, you will either need to have a tummy tuck or suck it up. Since I don't have enough money to have a tuck, I guess I get to suck it up becuase I can't suck it in! LOL This doesn't mean to quit exercising or strength training...keep going and relish in your accomplishments! Good luck!
  • dez_yaoichan
    Options
    during the first 20 pounds i notices my bellly wasnt as "full". it became a "softer" fat and that made it hang a little. but once i started working out i saw it getting smaller. granted it still hangs, but it's less and the more i lose/workout the less it becomes.

i started out with some basic bellydance moves (which i found on youtube!) just to get me moving and used to it. its very low impact so it's a great start if you've never worked out.

now i'm on jullian micheals frontside for beginners. which i actually rented and burned a copy of bc i was low on cash at the time, lol. once i get a little small in the belly, i'll add the backside workout and see how that goes.

((fyi: if you want to try JM frontside, make sure you wear something tight around your belly, be it pants of a shirt, b/c you will be bouncing and its not the best feeling in the world))