Energy food

I would love to know what you are eating that you notice increases your energy. I’m trying to be more mindful of not eating things that make me feel fatigue. That has been a problem for me the last year. Thanks for sharing

Replies

• ElBence
    ElBence Posts: 291 Member
    Sweet potatoes. They're filling, provide good energy, and are easy to cook. You can even microwave a raw sweet potato in about six minutes. I like them with a little Moroccan spice blend I've found. No butter, olive oil, or sugar needed.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Specific food should not make you feel fatigued unless you have a medical condition. Because I have reactive hypoglycemia if I am not careful carbs can cause my blood sugar to drop too low a few hours after eating. I have learned how to be careful though so it is rarely a problem.

Most often fatigue is caused by not eating enough calories.

Yup, fatigue is usually too few calories, too much exercise for current fitness level (could be too intense, too frequent, or too lengthy), overall sub-par nutrition, too much stress, or too little good sleep. Even being at a sensibly moderate calorie deficit for many months could result in fatigue, and call for a maintenance break.

Or, it could be an undiagnosed medical problem, like hypothyroidism, nutrient deficiency, or depression, among others. (What does your doctor say?)

Sometimes a person can get a momentary burst from caffeine or fast carbs, but there's usually a drop later.

Single foods mostly won't do much to cure a low-energy problem, especially if it has a persistent underlying cause.

Best wishes for finding a solution!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Caffeine and sugar give me a good boost of energy usually without a crash. I will have them before a big lifting session. I feel most tired after a really big meal and decaf coffee. So I avoid those things.
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    I know that I feel energized when I take vitamin d and drink some vitamin c (emergency vitamin)
    I get super sleepy after eating carb heavy foods. Also “burnout” and overwhelmed. My mind has all kinds of motivation but I can’t bring my body to move. I’m changing that this year.
    It’s probably also due to lack of proper sleep
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I would love to know what you are eating that you notice increases your energy. I’m trying to be more mindful of not eating things that make me feel fatigue. That has been a problem for me the last year. Thanks for sharing

How foods affect you is going to be somewhat individual, so you might want to pay attention to that. Also, some provide energy in the short-term but it gets burnt off quickly (i.e., drinking juice may provide quick energy but then lead to a crash, for some).

Sleep is likely the best thing to work on (speaking as someone who also needs to work on that!).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    I know that I feel energized when I take vitamin d and drink some vitamin c (emergency vitamin)
    I get super sleepy after eating carb heavy foods. Also “burnout” and overwhelmed. My mind has all kinds of motivation but I can’t bring my body to move. I’m changing that this year.

I work really hard on my sleep hygiene. When I'm sleep-deprived I want #AllTheCarbs

I feel better and stay fuller longer when I have a good balance of protein to carbs. For example, I'd be hungry again in an hour after a full bagel with butter, but a half bagel with cream cheese and smoked salmon is a good breakfast for me.

I also have to be careful with foods made from wheat flour - a half bagel is ok, but more would make me sleepy. Rice and beans have a lot of carbs, but never make me sleepy like the equivalent calories in bread would.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Carb heavy foods (especially whole grains) are generally full of great gut cleaning fiber which can leave you feeling bloated and fatigued if you eat too many in a sitting.

Sweet potatoes are great for energy. A calorie-dense, tastey carb with lots of micro-nutrients. Fruits, nuts, and lean proteins are also great for an energy boost. Stay away from sweets as they'll cause you to crash.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I work really hard on my sleep hygiene. When I'm sleep-deprived I want #AllTheCarbs

I feel better and stay fuller longer when I have a good balance of protein to carbs. For example, I'd be hungry again in an hour after a full bagel with butter, but a half bagel with cream cheese and smoked salmon is a good breakfast for me.

I also have to be careful with foods made from wheat flour - a half bagel is ok, but more would make me sleepy. Rice and beans have a lot of carbs, but never make me sleepy like the equivalent calories in bread would.

Yeah, I'm usually indifferent to candy but when I'm sleep deprived, it's like candy is all I can think about.

Personally, making sure I get enough quality sleep is a key tool for calorie control.