Starting to think I won't ever reach goal weight

Options
Zouthx
Zouthx Posts: 15 Member
edited December 2019 in Motivation and Support
Does anyone else struggle with losing and gaining the same 30-50 pounds? It's like I get on a good stride and lose the weight thinking this will finally be it and I'll lose the 100+ pounds I need to lose and then BAM, life gets in the way and I track my food less, pay attention to calories less and focus less on working out. Then I gain all that weight back after a few months until I get another wake up call and start all over again.

I have been using this app on and off for 7 years. I'm starting to get back into tracking calories and setting goals but I'm also asking myself what am I going to do to break this cycle? So I'm asking you all, has anyone here broken the cycle and how did you do it?

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I try not to think of it as on or off...I log my food even when I'm trying to maintain weight...it's not about being on a diet or off a diet, for me it's about being healthy so that I can live another 6 decades and have fun!
  • Ziggyiguana82
    Ziggyiguana82 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    @Zouthx I completely understand, been there, done that - several times. I am water fasting with a coffee thrown in here and there simply because I can't trust myself around food.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I don’t have an “off”. I have periods of time when making good choices and/or working out haven’t been my top priority.

But I always log. I am always here.

And even on the days/weeks/months that I can’t make good choices, I usually (but not always) try to make the best choice possible-even if it’s not a good one, maybe just the least bad.

But even if I don’t try-I still log. I’m still here. I’m never “off”. I just have times where I eat more calories than I need. And times I don’t.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it..and find what finally works for you. Don't feel like something is happening to you. You are in control..maybe you have a subconscious reason for stopping and regaining. Examine your behavior, pinpoint where things go wrong..and just keep trying until you succeed. One of your attempts is going to work.
  • tracybear86
    tracybear86 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I think the biggest thing for me was to stop thinking of it as a "diet". A diet means that there is an end point where you can go back to your "normal" life. You have to start thinking of this as the new normal.
    Two things I did when I started that helped give me some perspective were:
    1) I logged everything I ate honestly for 1 week before making any changes to see how many calories I was actually eating.
    2) I set my MFP goal to maintenance calories for my goal weight just to see how many calories per day (roughly) I would be able to eat and maintain once I reached my goal weight.
    This really turned on a light bulb for me that if I wanted to lose the weight and keep it off I would never be eating as much as I had been.
  • aimjolie
    aimjolie Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    What has helped to lose weight is to stop thinking of dieting as a temporary situation to lose weight. Then once you get to goal weigh you can go back to eat like you ate when you were heavy. I found out this is not how it works. When you get to goal weight, you still have to watch but not be so strict. To keep at a goal weight, I watch what I eat Monday to Friday. On the weekend, i allow myself some treat like dessert when I go to a restaurant or a few cookies or something I want to eat, like French fries. But I make a sincere effort to eat these treats in moderation. I don’t keep junk food in the house because I know I’ll eat it while watching TV. For me it’s out of sight, out of mind! Don’t deprive yourself of the foods you like because eating like this has to be a way of life. It’s not a punishment. It’s because you want to be healthy, feel good about yourself, and have fun buying clothes. Don’t give up! You can do it!
  • betsymoomoo
    betsymoomoo Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. I've been on here since my youngest was 1... he's turning 11 in march. I lost 120lbs initially and then gained it back. I let one or two cheat days turn into cheat weeks, cheat years, cheat decades... ugh. I'm at like 95lbs down from my original weight now and I admit, I got into a relationship and started eating like crap, stopped exercising as much to stay home and love on my man, then the holidays come and I'm ashamed to admit I have an issue with alcohol that has reared its head again.

I've gained back about 12 pounds in the last 6 months which was less than I expected so I am recommitting again and buckling down.

One of my biggest things was when I knew I ate badly I would just not log it. And I'm trying to stay out of that pattern again. So I'm just going to log no matter what.
  • captainsparkletits
    Options
    For me — what worked was focusing on trying to feel actually hungry before every meal. Getting in tune with my body helped me realize what I need and don’t need. Building intuitive eating habits can be really effective.