Personal challenge to lose 20lbs in 9 months, looking for plant based accountability buddy

krissie807
krissie807 Posts: 5 Member
Hi all,

I’ve been using myfitnesspal for years. Having lost a lot (too much) weight in the past, I put it all back on and much more through unhealthy eating habits over the past 2 years. My weight has now stabilised and I now want to be in a place where I use myfitnesspal to find a like minded community of people who want to be healthy as opposed to using it because I’m addicted to it.

I am aware you shouldn’t set weight based goals and should instead focus on behavioural goals (eg exercise 4x/week) if you want to improve your health. However, I think I am carrying around 20lbs more than my body needs to because of my current bad habits. The weight crept up slowly, and I want to lose the weight slowly and sustainably though a healthy diet and lifestyle. I am training for a marathon in April too. It would be great to find an accountability buddy so we could cheer each other on! - stuff like sharing recipes, encouraging each other to exercise or just having someone to tell when you achieve a personal goal!

I personally struggle wirh the veganiam at the moment and will break it when snacking impulsively, so sticking to my morals is a goal at the moment.

Would be great to find someone else to who is also plant based and wants to /does mostly focus on whole foods.

Whether your goal is to lose or gain weight, build muscle or try and just follow a plant-based diet it would be great to have an accountability buddy. Can’t wait to hear from you!

****If you do think you’re in a phase where you need to take a break from myfitnesspal/you’re abusing it/you think you need help - please, please listen to yourself and go and do it. You can always come back to it when you’re in a better place!

Replies

• mthwbrwn
    mthwbrwn Posts: 104 Member
    Here's a plant-based buddy that is willing to pick you up when you need a little help.

kzsiks9nla79.jpeg
  • martin9009
    martin9009 Posts: 1 Member
    I am just starting down the vegan path, too. I’ve gotten a few cookbooks and the Food Monster app - I like Food Monster but the recipes are often incomplete (or wrong) and are only a good choice for a very experienced cook so, buyer beware. However, I’ve found healthier options that help relieve my craving for sweets, at least for now.

The other two cookbooks just arrived this week and are focused on cooking for one and cooking for two - Plant Based Pair. I haven’t tried any recipes, yet, but they sound good.

I’m also increasing my activity weekly.
  • Copaiba
    Copaiba Posts: 75 Member
    Hey! Plant based for 7 years and 60 pounds down to 142 this year, I don’t NEED to lose 20 pounds but it wouldn’t hurt to lose 17 😎
    I’m working on meditation to adjust my expectations from food and trying to get my hips to be stronger and more flexible so that running won’t hurt. I’m always battling IT and patellar issues 😞
    Plant based is a lot of prep so I try to do some kind of batch cooking a few times during the week and more on Sunday.
    I always thought I d be able to eat as much as I wanted if I exercised more, but it turns out NO 🤣 The less I weigh, the less I need which is a little disappointing.
    I was so much more motivated last winter, spring and summer. Now I just want to relax and get some knitting done but my new body needs to prep breakfast and lunch for the next day and do the damn dishes again.
    Anyway, I’m here and following...
  • rebeccaahopkins93
    rebeccaahopkins93 Posts: 107 Member
    Hey there, I am a vegetarian as well! Would definitely love to have some other vegetarian or vegan friends on here to share meal ideas!
  • SuzyH
    SuzyH Posts: 196 Member
    I've been "trying" to go vegan (on the advice of my dr) for the past 3 years. I believe in the concept health-wise and also from a humanity standpoint, but struggle and would love to have some people with a similar mind set. I'm going this alone in my family so it's kind of rough. I have been following Forks over Knives (FOK) and Engine 2, PCRM (Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine). My goal is to lose about 13 pounds.
  • KreativeKoffee
    KreativeKoffee Posts: 2 Member
    I was told by my doc yesterday to follow the FOK plan for medical reasons. My husband is supportive but it’s difficult to cook separate meals- My weight loss goal is to drop 30 lbs but my overall goal is to change my bloodwork for the better