How do You Decompress Without Food, TV or Social Media?

Options
2»

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    mostly i do decompress with netflix or hulu but when i don't....
    painting with alcohol ink
    crocheting
    hiking
    running
    reading.
  • lauragreenbaum
    lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Pilates
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    breefoshee wrote: »
    I've noticed a pattern of using food to decompress. As I've tried to break this habit, I notice that I am spending more time in front of the television and scrolling social media to get my brain quiet-- but that's not really how I want to live my life.

How do you decompress without food, TV or Social Media? Mentally I am struggling.

reading a book, doing housework like washing dishes, sweeping, dusting, walk outside and sit for a while
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Swimming lengths at the local pool - find a time when it's at its quietest and slog up and down - can really turn the brain off and just focus on the water, each stroke and counting how many lengths you've swum. Really good for mindfulness.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Running, hiking, walking, yoga, reading, meditation (usually with the cat on my lap), games of all sorts: video games with my husband, board games, tabletop RPGs (I’m the DM for my former quidditch team’s D&D campaign).
  • white0rabbit0
    white0rabbit0 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I listen to sience or gardening podcast or audio books while I draw. Also puzzles!
  • laketrash50
    laketrash50 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Read, listen to music, treat myself to a professional massage!
  • chrisvideoedit
    chrisvideoedit Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hey great post! To decompress I like watching YouTube videos about tech. I am a Mac Apple fan and I like learning about all the latest technologies. What are your interests? I think it is about as simple as that. Find something that is meaningful to you whether it is reading, long walks or drawing a picture. We all have something we love doing. Hope this helps.

Chris 🙂
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    For me personally, playing video games (both active and sedentary) is a great way to decompress. I also enjoy working on my hobbies (currently that's figure sculpting), talking to friends, and listening to audiobooks. I watch Netflix when a particular show interests me (currently it's The Witcher).

There is no shame in using entertainment for its intended purpose - relaxation and enjoyment. If watching TV and scrolling social media is enjoyable, then what's wrong with that? Why do you feel it's a lesser way to pass your time? If it's enjoyable, then it's just as good as any other activity because it's serving its purpose. If it's just an idle pastime you do because you don't know what else to do, then yes, it's worth looking for something else.
  • AmethystEFC
    AmethystEFC Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Music and books.

It's different for everyone; it's finding your happy place, I guess. Hope you find yours :)
  • ChrisCatMama
    ChrisCatMama Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Exercise, dance, go for a walk. Work on a craft, watch a funny show on Hulu.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    ride my bike, mountain bike, rock climbing, hiking, walking the dog, watch a movie, watch sports, read, get out for a weekend of camping, build model rockets with my kids, archery