Question

Currently I am on 1600 cal/day . 25% of those are my allotted carbs. However I seem to be hitting my carbs and still having 300+ calories remaining... I am eating well , having snacks and 3 meals a day... any pointers on what to do? Adding veggies doesn’t seem to work for calories but does for carbs .. looking for tips .

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Veggies are generally high volume and low calorie, so it's not surprising that it doesn't work for adding lots of calories.

Add calorie dense foods instead. Roast veggies in olive oil, add nuts to a salad, use full fat dressing and full fat dairy.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    Why do you have your carbs set to 25%? Assuming you have to do that for some medical reason I would suggest you pre-log your day's meals/food until you get a handle on the foods you can eat.

But yeah, like TeaBea said, cheese, butter, fatty meats, oils, nuts.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    More dietary fat. If you're doing low carb, you're going to have to increase fat and protein.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Look at things like meat, cheese, some dairy, seafood.
  • Why do you have your carbs set to 25%? Assuming you have to do that for some medical reason I would suggest you pre-log your day's meals/food until you get a handle on the foods you can eat.

But yeah, like TeaBea said, cheese, butter, fatty meats, oils, nuts.

Yes , I have MS and my neurologist wants my carb intake to be no more than 25% of my calories.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Eggs, salmon, tuna, full fat yogurt, olive oil, dark meat chicken,